Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Band practice.

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by tat2d_13, Mar 21, 2004.

1. who needs practice?

2 vote(s)
    3.4%
  2. 3 hrs/week

22 vote(s)
    37.9%
  3. 4 hrs/week

9 vote(s)
    15.5%
  4. 5 hrs/week

5 vote(s)
    8.6%
  5. 6 hrs/week

3 vote(s)
    5.2%
  6. 7 hrs/week

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. 8 hrs/week

2 vote(s)
    3.4%
  8. 9 hrs/week

2 vote(s)
    3.4%
  9. 10 hrs/week and then some!

2 vote(s)
    3.4%
  10. Im not in a band just show me the results!

11 vote(s)
    19.0%
  1. tat2d_13

tat2d_13

Feb 4, 2004
    Minnesota USA
    I wasnt really sure what forum to put this under,my appologies in advance if its in the wrong forum.My current band that Im in practices once a week for 3 hours and I feel thats not enough.It seems like we're not getting tighter but we're just maintaining where we're at if that makes any sense.So I was just curious what some others band practice habits are.

2. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    3 hours a week is plenty, as long as everyone is practicing on their own as well. That was the biggest problem with my old band's practices -- no one but me seemed to be practicing until group practice.

3. BassGod

BassGod

Jan 21, 2004
    My band practices about 9 hours a week usually, and we all practice by ourselves too (on top of the 9 hours of group practicing). I guess that is a bit much, but it's fun, and we get a lot of work done. :)

4. Bob Clayton

Bob Clayton Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Deptford, NJ
    We practice about 3 hours, with everyone practicing on their own.

5. Baofu

Baofu

Mar 8, 2003
    WA/CA
    3 sounds good to me, though my band really takes the "Who needs practice" approach, so I voted appropriately.

6. Prahainspring

Prahainspring

Oct 22, 2002
    New Jersey
    I voted 4 hours a week. We practice on our own (some, more than others) about 3+ a day

7. Sundogue

Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    Group practice is just that..."Group" practice. It is not the time, nor the place to be working on individual parts, but rather putting the individual parts together...seeing how they fit, making alterations to the song structure, etc. AS A GROUP.

Having said that, 2 to 4 hours is plenty of time to work out new songs or tighten up songs that still need work.

Through the years, I've found that too many musicians do not do enough of their own work and when it comes to group practice, they waste everyone's time trying to figure out their part at that time.

Fortunately I never played with those types for very long. The best practices are the ones where everyone knows their parts and the songs are just worked out together. When everyone knows their parts, there is more time to work on more constructive things like arrangements, set lists, song to song flow, new key changes or parts, etc.

If you are practicing for three hours and you are not getting tighter...then it is not a matter of how much you practice, but rather how you practice.

8. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    My band practices once a week, sometime during the weekend. Usually 6 hours of togetherness, 3-4 of actual playing. 1-2 hours of it is spent writing music or editing existing stuff, the rest is spent playing.

9. Depends on the musicians.

3 hrs/week is plenty for us. We spend equal time writing new stuff and going through sets.

10. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    Man, after reading the above posts I'm beginning to think there's something wrong with us. If my band practices less than twice a week, we collectively lose our edge.

Our best shows and writing came during a time this past summer when we were able to practice 3 times a week, 2 and 1/2 hours per practice.

11. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

We as a band rehearse about 4 hours a week. I practice much more than that.

12. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    P. Aaron beat me to it. I don't know how much my band practices, as I've never asked them. I can tell you that rehearsals are about two hours long. I can tell you that I'll probably average about 8-10 hours of practice a week, but I can't tell you how long the other guys practice. If you want to know, I'll ask them.

13. Sundogue

Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    I think there is huge difference between practicing on your own and band rehearsals.

It shows when any one member of the band is not rehearsing enough on their own. It's not how much you practice but how. As long as each member is working their parts out or working to improve their ability, it will show up in a group setting.

But if any one of them is not, it is obvious they aren't doing their part. Typically if the group has to go over parts of a tune, or a whole song, too many times just to get one individual up to speed, then that individual is wasting other's valuable time.

I've got a wife and three kids who are involved in everything...I don't have the time to help any one of my bandmates figure out their part. It's kind of a "Don't waste my time and I won't waste yours", unwritten rule. If someone (including me) does not have their part down, we'll skip that song and move on. Better to practice wisely and make the most of what's there, than to piddle around with someone else's incompetence.

14. Folmeister

Folmeister Knowledge is Good - Emile Faber Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    Tomball, Texas
    Amen, Brother! I have that problem with just about every band I get involved with! Perhaps that is why I change bands so often. I try and practice at least three hours a week on my own. My motto, one that I blatantly stole from the Boy Scouts, is "be prepared."

15. LumpyGravy

LumpyGravy Guest

May 8, 2002
    My God! It must be a bass thing to practice on your own. I had experienced people not come to practice prepared. I ended up writing a list of tips for getting the most out of rehearsal and handing it to them. Needless to say, things got better. We even expanded on some of the ideas, and are getting a lot accomplished.

16. anybody who voted "who need practice" are either joking or dumb asses

17. mumbojumbo4

mumbojumbo4

Feb 11, 2004
    Illinois
    Almost never. Im on the school track team and I have no time to get out. NONE AT ALLLLLLLLL! It sucks.

18. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

Disclaimer: I don't pretent to be an elitist, or even the best, but this is what I do notice about some musicians.

Jazzbo, when we say we practice more hours than rehearsals, it's probably because we work not only on the arrangements, but the trouble spots, and even alternate ways of playing a piece. Even those subtle changes have to be practiced over and over to sound smooth.

I can easily tell when someone doesn't practice enough: It's when they show up at rehearsal running through the same licks & chops, fills, or whatever, they were working on 2 years ago, and they still don't have them down fluidly, nor have they added anything new to their basic cache of chops.

I know we've said this a kazillion times: Rehearsal is not "instrument practice time!"

19. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Agreed 100% !! Practice is what you do at home on your own!!
    Do it when we're together and you are wasting my time!! :mad:

When bands get together it is :

REHEARSAL

- all the way, or you are not using the time well!

20. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    Inefficient band rehearsals are the first sign for me to leave. I'm at a point in my "musical career" that I'm only going to take gigs that go somewhere, that have potential, and if people show up at rehearsal not prepared, I know exactly where that band is going. Nowhere.

I loathe people who don't do their homework, particularly in cover bands. If you come to a rehearsal for a cover band not knowing how long the intro is, or how many choruses until the bridge, or if there's a modulation at the end, you need to seriously get your act together. People like that are destined for failure.