1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Band wives

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by bassbobh, Jul 26, 2012.

1. Anyone else have a keeper? We've been married for over 20 years and she is the main reason I am still gigging every weekend. Attends every gig, claps loud if the crowd is light LOL, carries gear, allows me to buy gear, surprises me with a bass now and then.... just got me a 74 Ric to my huge surprise, allows groupies to get close, never causes a scene with owners or other band wives, and never ever interferes with band business

Heres to all great band wives who never get their due.... Love ya babe!!!!

image-2890165948.

image-1386255869.

Attached Files:

2. cavscout19d

cavscout19d

Mar 17, 2010
    Nice! You are a lucky guy. Congrats on a supportive wife, they seem rather hard to come by, and she bought you a Ric! Verr NIIICe!

3. skychief

skychief

Apr 27, 2011
    South Bay
    You(two) are truly blessed.

Good of you to give salutations. :cool:

4. gearhead1972

gearhead1972

Feb 21, 2012
    Kent NY
    My Wife sings back up, and lead on a few songs in my band...her idea to buy the PA from the car we sold...Bought a drum set with some of our wedding money a few years back.... Bought a guitar on ebay then the next day cam home saying I did a bad thing, over and over. WHAT I said, I bought another one in a different color...LOL she has gas just like me.

5. Bridge_Cable

Bridge_Cable

Jun 26, 2012
    Colorado
    Sounds like you two belong together!

6. I sold all my guitars and a couple of amps back in 1971 to buy my future wife's engagement & wedding rings. I figured between a full time job, night school at university and some reserve unit training I would never use them again anyhow. After we'd been married for 6 months she bought me an acoustic guitar to beat up around the house. Then she heard some old friends were looking for a guitar player to jam with. Next thing I know we're raiding the change jar to buy me my first bass. For the first 12 years of our marriage she was a stay at home mom and my gigging was what allowed us to enjoy a few extra's in our life.

To this day she has never denied me an equipment purchase and even bought me my Dingwall Combustion for Christmas 2010.

She doesn't come out to many gigs now as none of the other wives go anymore.

She has always been supportive of my music and knows the amount of fun I get out of playing. She still likes the fact I can go out on a Friday night and come home with more money than I went out with.

I've been extremely fortunate to have someone so supportive of my musical endeavors, many of my friends didn't get that support and either quite playing to keep peace at home or wound up divorced over it.

40th anniversary coming up August 19.

7. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    My wife is very supportive, but she has never once seen me play live. Some band mates don't believe she exists :D

But I will gladly take that over wives who are overly clingy or are not supportive.

8. kesslari

kesslari Groovin' with the Big Dogs Staff Member Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Santa Cruz Mtns, California
    Lark in the Morning Instructional Videos; Audix Microphones
    I do. I am blessed. And we also just celebrated 20 years married.
    While she doesn't come to every gig, she comes to many. Dances, appreciates my music and my bandmates, mellows me out when there is band drama (which isn't often these days), and loves when I practice. She's inspired songs and is my muse and my support.
    We are fortunate.

9. OneOldCoder

OneOldCoder Guest

Jun 28, 2012
    My wife has always been supportive of my musical efforts. For 8 years, we had a full band setup in our dining room for the original rock band i was in at the time. She always made snack trays for practice days, helped carry equipment in and out, never said a word about all the gear laying all over the house. She went to all our gigs, and like the OP's wife, clapped louder when there were small audiences. That was several years ago.

Now that I'm playing again, she has never denied me any equipment purchases that i need, even suggested getting my new bass when we were in the music store looking at it. Just today she sent all the e-mails and made all the contacts for the jam session I wanted to set up for this coming weekend. :bassist:

In short, don't know what i would do without her! :D She's the love of my life.

We just had our 25th anniversary, and looking forward to many more to come!

10. avvie

avvie

Oct 12, 2010
    Maui, HI
    Not married yet, but engaged to a keeper. She is teh awesomes; everybody loves her. Totally supportive, really appreciates talent, roadies and attends all she can. Gives good constructive criticism when necessary. Yay Traci-Lyn!

11. jarrydee

jarrydee

Oct 22, 2011
    Michigan
    I am right there with you!! My wife first bought me 80% of my studio equipment..(not a kids studio, Im talking Neve mic pres) recently she bought me a fender AS, then a week ago surprised me with a brand new Ampeg SVT CL, she know I wanted it so one day when I was at practice she ordered it for me! She is truly an angel sent just for me!!

12. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2006
    G.R. MI
    My wife is the last of the Lazy Band Ho's. There used to be a group of band wives that would hang out after hours waiting for the band to load out so we could all go home.

13. viper4000

viper4000

Aug 17, 2010
    Charlotte
    You guys are LUCKY!!!!!

Please don't take these fine women for granted ;)

14. fishtx

fishtx Supporting Member

Mar 30, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Endorsing Artist: Genzler Amplification/Spector Basses/Mojo Hand FX
    I have a keeper...My wife is extremely cool about my band activities, and doesn't get in any of the band business. She still comes out to gigs (not every one, simply because she's just not big into the Bar scene anymore)...but she comes out quite often. I also have a very supportive 16 year old daughter who loves to come to festival gigs and support dear old dad when she can!

Here are a couple of pics of the wife and daughter.

Attached Files:

15. Rip Topaz

Rip Topaz

Aug 12, 2005
    Willow Street, PA
    Beta tester for Positive Grid
    I'll be married to my present wife (my 4th!!) for three years in September. She DEFINITELY. A keeper.

Not only does she support my musical endeavors, she was actually the singer in my last band!! She has a great voice, and plays piano as well.

Don't get me wrong, she still rolls her eyes every time I mention a new piece of gear. Then she orders it. Like I said, a keeper.

16. LPStephens

LPStephens

May 16, 2010
    The description of your wife applies to mine too. She has been fantastically supportive. I'm a little jealous because she's never bought me a bass yet, but we've only been married 23 years so there is still time ;)

17. hrodbert696

hrodbert696 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

My wife officially considers it to be her role to "keep me in check," particularly regarding GAS, but on the whole she's supportive. We have a four-year-old at home so she doesn't come to gigs all that often, but she does make it to some. On the whole, I'm pretty happy, especially considering that I wasn't a musician when she married me and playing in bands has meant a lot of adjustment.

18. You oughta marry that woman....

:bag:

19. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

I've been married for 28 years, and my wife only discovered my musical tendencies 13 years in...when I retrieved my bass from my parents' home after a couple of decades not playing.

She's helpful, supportive and shows up for every show that her schedule permits. Never complains about an instrument purchase as long as it's reasonable for our situation that month.

She's a great lady - I'm glad she puts up with me.

20. My wife is wonderful.We have been married for 23 years.
    She and I really are very different in our musical tastes and she really does not care much for the music I play,but over the years she has bought me basses and gear. She has never said a disparaging word over gigs that went bust, poor pay, money spent on gear, or my taste in music. She does not come to very many gigs, but is so supportive of my playing. I don't fish or bowl, playing music is my thing and whether I make money or just have fun she is always right there for me and just wants me to be happy. I count my blessing for her being in my life.