1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Bandmate pet peeves

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by ShadowImage, Dec 22, 2016.

1. ShadowImage

ShadowImage Guest

Jan 12, 2016
    What are your pet peeves when it comes to your band mates? Do they ever cause real problems or just annoy you?

Mine are mostly with guitarists. The big one are strap locks, which no guitarist seems willing to buy. Every time I see a guitar slip out of it's strap buttons I just shake my head in shame. The other are guitar masterbators. You know, the guys who won't stop playing or at least turn down the volume on the guitar when you're trying to talk between songs at rehearsal.

Let's hear 'em!

Ox Boris, tmw, PortlandBass77 and 5 others like this.
  2. PauFerro

PauFerro

Jun 8, 2008
    United States
    I generally try to be positive about the people I work within the four bands I'm involved with...if I focus on their weaknesses, it affects my behavior.

So, I will balance this with some positives -- they are reliable. If they cancel on a gig, they usually send me someone better than they are to replace them -- someone I don't have to rehearse with to make ready. Their sub just shows up and does a good job. And in the process, expands my pool of musicians on which I can rely.

A group of them are among the most cooperative musicians I've ever worked with -- they are interested in learning together, in doing new material, in experimental, new music, and are generally positive about my leadership.

However, I do have a few pet peeves:

1. I play jazz, where music stands are appropriate, or not usually frowned upon by most. When they show up with such stands, they are flimsy and won't hold their music. Often they fall over or music falls off it.

2. In wind, they have no system for keeping their music stationary. I have to bring plexiglass to put over their music for them.

3. Taking too long on breaks. I have learned to not say "Take a 10 minute break", but to say "be back by X:XX" (be back by a certain time. That tends to fix the problem.

Otherwise, I am generally happy with the people I perform with now. I find that keeping them working and making money, while making it interpersonally fun, and helping some of them stretch and improve also helps make for good bandmates. Knowing their personal motives for performing, and makign sure those motives are something I can live with, and can address, goes a long way to shortening the pet peeve list.

3. Well let's see....
    Drum cases left all over the stage
    Mic wires spooled up in front of my amp.
    Drum set taking up the entire riser
    Band members missing during load in and out

That's a start

jfh2112, smogg, gregmon79 and 2 others like this.
  4. pcake

pcake Supporting Member

Sep 20, 2011
    Los Angeleez
    i've worked with a couple drummers who spend at least 20 minutes of our pay-per-hour rehearsal space tuning their drums. both are great once you start playing, but you will wait quite a while to actually start playing.

people who promise to spend the time between rehearsals practicing a particular song that everyone else has nailed who come back without spending any time on the song they said they'd practice.

people who say "that's good enough" when it isn't. i'm not a perfectionist, but if the fills are off time or the solo doesn't fit the song or the singer forgets the words, it's really not good enough.

5. Bullitt5135

Bullitt5135

Nov 16, 2010
    SE Michigan
    1. Communication issues. Everybody has a smartphone, but it still takes several tries over several days for people to respond to simple, direct questions.

2. Drummer has trouble starting songs at the correct tempo, but is dead set against rehearsing with a metronome because the click "kills the feel of the song."

Geddaric, jfh2112, jcerio and 4 others like this.
  6. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    People not be prepared for rehearsal and not being on time. If rehearsal is 12:00, at 11:59:59 you better be plugged in, tuned up, and know your parts.

7. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Being unprepared in general. Nothing pushes me off more than a guy showing up without everything he needs for the gig. Have extra everything. Period.

8. MrLenny1

MrLenny1

Jan 17, 2009
    N.H.
    Drummers not knowing tunes well.
    Rehearsing the drummer.etc....

9. ShadowImage

ShadowImage Guest

Jan 12, 2016
    There seems to be a lot about drummers... I feel your pain. What is up with drummers never wanted to rehearse with a metronome!? I practice at home to metronome/back track exclusively.

We wouldn't get along :p I'm reliably 30 minutes late. I seriously tell people if they have a problem with that then we can't make music/be friends/be... anything.

10. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    This town isn't big enough for the two of us...

11. CaseyJ

CaseyJ

Jul 28, 2016
    Northern Indiana
    My wife and I went out to see a buddy of mine's band play for the first time. During the second set, his Les Paul Custom slips out of the strap and he makes the great save. Next week at work, I present him with the gift of free strap locks. That was last summer, he is still playing without straplocks! WTH...

12. Chains

Chains

Jan 22, 2014
    Two come to mind....
    1. At bar gigs, when our drummer unrolls his carpet and it is way too far over into my area. We are a trio and there should be equal space on both sides of the carpet. Hello? I think he does this when I am outside shlepping gear in.

2. At rehearsal, when working up a new cover. Everything sounds great except for the awkward ending (if it fades out) that we have developed. The guys say "something like that" or "we'll work out the ending later". I'm like "No, let's figure this out now, and rehearse it again...twice!".

Last edited: Dec 22, 2016
    covermego likes this.
  13. guy n. cognito

guy n. cognito Secret Agent Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    I never bother with people so disrespectful that they believe everyone else in the world has free time to wait on them.

14. BACKLASHBASS

BACKLASHBASS

May 21, 2016
    Guitar players & Drummers that seem to think the bass amp is a community table for them to put drinks, drum hardware, etc. on at the end of the show, and guitar players that incessantly noodle at full volume during soundcheck.

Honch, covermego, Wookieeboy and 2 others like this.
  15. I've experienced this, and I'd rather put my own eyes out with a spork as to listen to other musicians trying to deflect responsibility for their own inadequacies. Metronomes are good things. Drummers who are unable or unwilling to develop their own basic skill sets are decidedly less so.

Sort of fits hand-in-glove with the few times I've heard various players say something to the effect of, "Don't pollute my mind with that theory stuff! It'll mess up my playing!" Really? Puh-LEEZE...

Wow. I guess those really are my pet peeves. Mercifully, I don't currently have to experience these issues.

16. You're right, we definitely wouldn't get along.

This. If you don't have any respect for everyone else's time you're not someone I could ever work with. I've a feeling that if circumstances were reversed you wouldn't be very happy waiting on me a half hour either.

dbbltime, navijaz and gln1955 like this.
  17. oldrocker

oldrocker

Feb 13, 2005
    Long Island, NY
    Why would you care or let it affect you if a guitar player didn't use straplocks?

18. gln1955

gln1955 Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2014
    Ohio, USA
    This. And everyone has a calendar on that smartphone. Why is it so hard to schedule something?

HolmeBass likes this.
  19. Maureen M

Maureen M

Nov 5, 2016
    NY/MA
    My pet peeve is when people noodle at full volume between songs. Makes me crazy when we are discussing what we just played and someone is noodling all over. I swear it's compulsive, because they'll stop when asked, but then start up again 20 seconds later.
    /sorry to rant. My regular guitarist doesn't do this but I just jammed with someone who did. Still sulking lol

20. StayLow

StayLow

Mar 14, 2008
    Love my bandmates across many bands and genres, including several brilliant guitarists and respectable efficient bandleaders. Hate strap locks though. First upgrade I make is to replace them with proper strap pegs.

If I ever have bandmates that use clip-on tuners onstage, I'll have plenty to gripe about so until then I'm subbed to this thread and will count my many blessings with each post.

10cc and EdO. like this.