Bands that got better through time?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by d8g3jdh, Feb 14, 2006.

1. d8g3jdh

d8g3jdh Guest

Aug 9, 2005
    I was talking to a buddy of mine the other day, and I realized that most bands had their heyday on the first few albums, and very few actually got better as time progressed. There must be some though. What are some bands that got better with age? IMO:

The Beatles
    Dream theater

What are some others? And obviously this is totally subjective, so ya.

Why is this? Opinions? Discuss.
  2. whitedk57

May 5, 2005
    Franklin, NC
    Musically, alot of bands get better over time. But, their sound may change to something different than what they represented at first.

I think early Rush music was more rudimentary than it is now. But, their style also changed with the times. I think that they are more solid as musicians now. But let me preface these comments by saying that their early music was very excellent musically too. And let me further state that the addition of Neil Peart on the 2nd album greatly increased their talent level.
  3. Tired_Thumb

Tired_Thumb Guest

I'd definately have to say Apocalyptica. Their first album was, well, meh, it was alright for four cellos trying to cover Metallica. Their latest albums show that they truly have their form down and their place staked as an original band.
  4. DaftCat

Jul 26, 2004
    Medicine Hat
    Bon Jovi's song writing has gotten better IMHO.

I didn't care much for their 80s stuff(when all my peers were).

Whether or not their goal is crossover, I don't know. If that is a fact then they will only gain more fans.

5. Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    Skillet. They went from grunge to more techno/rock to hard(er) rock.
  6. 43% burnt

43% burnt an actor who wants to run the whole show

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT

They just keep getting better. I was listening to some of their old stuff, and what they're doing now is miles ahead of where they were. I can't wait to hear whats next. :bassist:
  7. kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    London, UK
    Celine Dion I personally have not heard anything bad from her since the Titanic song... (probebly because i havent heard anything by her since then)

But even the Titanic song she did a remake of it... just listen guys its great... every musician should enjoy this... unless they dont have a soul.

Much more rock and roll i think...

PS i really like new system of a down cd... i think they acctually advanced big times...
  8. Kronos

Dec 28, 2005
    Philadelphia, PA
    Amorphis....they used to be straight up (read:boring) death metal, now they're more prog rock...
  9. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    Sum41 gets better... System of a Down gets better... the beatles definitely got better with time. or LSD.
  10. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    I think the MIP award should go to Blink 182, hands down.

edit: this is not a joke.
  11. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan

I agree... their last album was very good.
  12. Edwcdc

Edwcdc I call shotgun!

Jul 21, 2003
    Columbia MD USA
    I think Blink not only got better but I think they also figured out how to make themselves sound better on recordings.

And I can't find a bad Sum 41 song.
  13. That was the best thing I've heard all week.

I also agree with you about the new SOAD album.
  14. barthanatos

barthanatos Insert witty comment here

Feb 8, 2006
    South Carolina
    Skillet, someone said. Totally agree.

Thousand Foot Krutch - they totally kill! Phenomenon is currently my favorite album. Much better than they used to be.

AFI - okay, I'm not a big fan, and I made the mistake of picking up a couple of their old albums (I collect modern vinyl records), and I don't ever want to subject my ears to that manure again. Ech!

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

16. d8g3jdh

d8g3jdh Guest

Aug 9, 2005
    I knew it! :eek:
  17. Snarf

Jan 23, 2005
    New York, NY

I think Celine Dion and Dream Theater got worse with time. I love Celine's early stuff, it's got that smooth 80's production sound that I love.
  18. Dream Theater. Their first album sounds like a crappy Kansas cover band. Everything up to Train of Thought sucks. TOT and Octavarium are actually pretty good, though still kinda cheesy.
  19. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    Faith No More, though they kind of fizzled after King For a Day
    King Crimson
  20. Agreed!

I can literally chart their progression as a result of going through their sonic stages while I was in middle-school...

For me...

The Flaming Lips.

These guys made some pretty mediocre music well over ten years ago, but have progressed to places that no one would've expected. Just look at the jump to The Soft Bulletin. It's practically night and day.

Ben Folds (Five)

If you run through the motions of chronology from self-titled to Ben's latest project, it really becomes evident how much his life experiences through the years enhanced the development of his music for both better and worse.

The Hives

Much like A.F.I., these guys went from making really straight forward punk rock to even louder, more infectious rock that is complimented countless times over by experiencing their craft live. Tyrannosaurus Hives is one of my favorite albums.