1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Banner placement

Discussion in 'Suggestion Box' started by Vorago, Oct 17, 2006.

1. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    I was posting in the Bassist forum and I noticed a banner BETWEEN the actual thread and the quick reply box.

I actually find this quite annoying because there's a serious chance of accidently clicking on the banner and going to that website without wanting to.

Is it possible to move the banner to the area below the quick reply box?

2. +1

The banner placement is REALLY obtrusive... and as a paying member, I feel it's a bit much to toss a banner in such a place... =/

3. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    Right, me too.

4. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    Agreed. If Gold supporting members had an option to not view ads, I'd become a Gold supporting member.

5. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol

+1.
    The place starts looking like a TV screen for Superbowl.

6. paul

paul Staff Member Founder Administrator

Jul 20, 2000
    Texas
    TalkBass runs one ad at the foot of the page. It's a targeted, either Google Adsense, or in-house TB ad, 728x90 pixels in dimension. The ad used to be below all content at the very bottom of the page, and was pretty much worthless, as nobody's eyes bothered going below all content, into the footer. Any webmaster would tell you that an ad needs to be close to content to be worth anything... so that's why it was moved.

There is always a balance that every webmaster must strike, when trying to place ads that are 'unabrusive' but yet are still visible enough to be of value to their website.

I appreciate your comments, and if it is truly a source of great concern I respect that. But I would ask that you please consider, is a 1" high standard footer banner, requiring one more click on the mouse wheel to get to the 'quick reply' box, so much of an inconvenience that I should set about removing all footer banners from TalkBass? Many websites these days have moving Flash ads that blow up over your screen, requiring you to click to make them go away. Others have 'intermediate ad pages', requiring you to click past the ad to "continue to xyz.com". These are both extremely effective ad vehicles, and bring in much revenue. Webmasters who justify these kinds of ads would argue that even though more obtrusive than banners, this is the natural evolution of web publishing. One look through a print magazine and I tend to agree...

The Vbulletin 'customization' forums are full of hacks to put ads after x posts, an ad after every first post in a thread, a "sponsored by" ad atop every forum's threadlist, etc etc. Anything to get ads out of the periphery and next to content where repeat visitors eyeballs gravitate. This makes the advertising 10x more effective. And many many big boards are currently using these measures to sustain themselves (christianforums.com, bigsoccer.com, etc etc (http://www.christianforums.com/t3926450-i-think-i-am-going-to-homeschool.html, take a look at how ads appear after the first post, and also in every threadlisting)).

There is truly change occuring in the web publishing market, and I'm afraid to say the luxury of having 100% uninterrupted content from the top of a page's content to the bottom might soon be a thing of the past. Anyway I'm rambling... :)

Our Supporting Member program is truly a gift, and I appreciate each and every supporter. If the time ever comes that TalkBass needs to consider putting an ad after every first post or other 'in-your-face' advertising, I will certainly see about making a "ad-free" forum style that Supporters can choose to bypass ads.

Thanks again for your comments, I will consider them all.

7. It doesn't bug me one bit Paul! This place eats a lot of resources that don't come cheap... every little bit helps!

I do still have to close my browser when at work and the clevage ad shows up... but this bottom one fits nicely.

and I click most of your ads regularly, just so there is traffic going to the advertisors :)

8. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Same here. As I posted in the other thread, If that's what you have to do to keep this site running, go for it. I know that when you have had to take the servers offline for maintenance, I'm almost at a loss with what to do on the internet. :) Do what you have to do to keep TB alive! I'm sure we can handle 90 extra pixels of scrolling.

9. sure at home when the Mrs's ain't around.... but I don't need any flesh catching Bosses, Female coworkers, etc attentions to my goofing off on the job :D

I just quick close the tab

10. paul

paul Staff Member Founder Administrator

Jul 20, 2000
    Texas
    I want to just add one thing: the value of having the footer banner directly following the thread content is very high. I wouldn't do this to you if it wasn't. Especially Adsense ads, as they are targeted to the content of that thread, based on words that appear in that thread.

This isn't a solid stat, since it's been less than 24 hours since I moved the footer banner, but so far our CTR (click-through-rate) for the bottom banner has shot up 7x...

11. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    Thank you. :)

12. LOL with Firefox, and the right extensions, I rarely see any ads on TB, or anywhere else.

13. Eh... I just learned how to use AdBlock so.. whatever, I guess.

14. RLT

RLT

Jul 10, 2004
    South Central OH
    In all truthfullness TalkBass is the only site I don't use the Block everything browsers on.
    I usually enjoy the ads here.
    But I do feel left out, I've never gotten the clevage ad!

If you like ad block on Firefox check out the flash blockers and Noscript for the java intrusive sites.

15. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 15, 2021