1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Barefaced Bass One10 Speaker

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by LowNote, Sep 20, 2015.

1. LowNote

LowNote Supporting Member

Jan 31, 2002
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    I'm so pleased with this new speaker by Barefaced Bass, as well as the other two speakers by them that I already own, that I thought I would start a new thread to better introduce Barefaced to upright players. I have no financial interest whatsoever in this--I just love their speakers. There has been some discussion of them on the BG side of the Forum and they are well covered in Basschat.co.uk since Barefaced Bass is a British company owned by Alex Claber and based in the Brighton area of England. The following posting is an amalgamation of comments I've already posted on the BG side and Basschat. I am a jobbing bassist, primarily on upright, living in the Edinburgh area for the last eight years. Prior to that I was gigging in the Los Angeles area for over 20 years. A quick summary of Barefaced Bass speakers--very well made, light, incredibly loud, clean and clear, and remarkably (at least to me) sound equally as good on upright as bass guitar. Now for some more comments about the One10 and my other speakers.

I was lucky enough to be sitting at my computer two weeks ago when an email from Alex arrived announcing the One10 and introductory pricing of £199 for the first 10 buyers. I currently own a Big Baby 2 and a Super Midget which I use on their own and paired. These are the best speakers I have ever owned, and I jumped at the opportunity to get one of Alex's speakers designed for low-volume small group play that is very light at 16 pounds. I was lucky enough to get one at the introductory price of £199.

My speaker--serial number 002--arrived Friday 11 September. It is beautifully constructed and a step-up in quality from the already high standards of the latest generation Barefaced cabinets. I had a chance to play around with it at home on upright bass and to A-B it to one of Mike Arnopol fibreglass Crazy 8 speakers which has been my go-to box for small gigs. I thought the new One10 sounded much more solid and substantial. For swing music I was able to get the big punchy sound I look for on upright bass--think tones that are like "cubes with eased edges" rather than blobs--if that makes any sense to people. Like other BF speakers I wasn't able to get it to fart out or distort noticeably, driving it with AI Clarus SL (one of the old ones.) I found that using an FDeck HiPass filter in front of this amp (that doesn't have one built in) helped to firm up the sound and allow me to increase the volume to an even higher level.

I had an upright gig on Saturday night with a jazz quartet of bone, piano, drums and me, which I thought was going to be quiet background jazz. Off I went with the new speaker. Unfortunately when I arrived I found that I was playing more of a neo-swing dance gig in a big marquis with volumes way up, well beyond what the One10 is designed to do. If I'd had my Big Baby 2 and new Midget pairing, it would have been perfect. Fortunately there was good PA support. The One-10 did make an excellent stage monitor however, and I like the fact that it fits into a padded cajon bag along with my AI Clarus and an extension reel for easy over-the-shoulder load-in.

20 September Update: I've still not had the right gigging situation yet for the new speaker--yesterday's job was an outdoor 30's swing gig on upright without PA support. Because I was concerned about volume and overloading the One10, I took the Super Midget instead.

I spent a bunch of time today with both upright and bass guitar in my large front hall (15' X 25' with a 12' ceiling) and thought my experience with the One10 and my other speakers might be helpful. I'm not a professional equipment reviewer, just a jobbing musician, so I might not have the lingo down, but here are my thoughts in sort of random order.
    • The One10 alone gets incredibly loud with no farting out at all on the E string with either upright or BG. I was driving the speaker(s) with an Acoustic Image Focus Series III so there was gobs of clean power. My upright is a LaScala Hybrid with a Revolution Solo bridge wing pickup. To make the double bass sound "right," I set the high pass filter to about 85 hz, and for BG, I rolled it all the way down to the lowest setting of 35 hz. On upright I get a very punchy and yet fat and rich sound that is clean as a whistle, mirrors the sound of my bass but projects like crazy. The One10 is much fatter when sitting on the floor and I put it down on the long side so that the cylindrical port was pointing out the side and not down to the bottom. When I put a speaker on the floor, I like to slip a foam wedge under the speaker so that I can hear it better and this would cover up the port if it was sitting with the narrow end down. The One10 also sounded good when played alone while sitting on top of another speaker--boomy rooms may well call for the speaker to be up off the floor.
    • This was the first time I played a BG (Status Graphite 4-string Streamliner) through the speaker and was bowled over by what a fat funky sound it produced with just the One10 on its own. For smaller pub gigs where there is no drummer or the drummer isn't super loud, I think you could get by just fine with this speaker alone. Certainly for a drummer-less duo or trio playing background jazz in almost any size room, or any kind of folky or bluegrass gig, the One10 will do the job on either/both upright and BG.
    • Somewhat surprisingly I didn't like the sound of the One10 with the Big Baby 2 although I love the sound of the SuperMidget paired with the BB2. The BB2 alone has been a wonderful speaker, particularly as a stage monitor with a loud 5-horn band in a touring Rat Pack theatre show that I play with. It is a bit hard to describe why I didn't like the One10/BB2 pairing but the sonic palette just didn't seem to mesh that well. It helped when I turned the crossover on the BB2 almost all the way to the side that favours the woofer and not the horn.
    • However, the pairing of the SuperMidget and the One10 is absolutely wonderful and I highly recommend this pairing for both upright and BG. Loud, rich, clean, punchy and well disbursed are descriptors that come to mind. This will be a rig that I'll go out with often especially since the One10 fits in a Cajon bag and the SuperMidget fits in a Bass Cajon bag, making transport safe and relatively easy. I didn't want to stop playing this combination.
    Having owned a ton of small speakers (Wizzy 10, Schroeder 10, Acme B-1, GK 112MBX, Arnopol composite Crazy 8) the Barefaced One10 is the very best one I've played to date and I could have saved a ton of money if they had come along sooner. Here is a link to the One10 webpage: Barefaced Bass - One 10 The entire Barefaced website is full of good information and worth the read. Although they only sell direct, they do ship all over the world.

Erik Hansen aka LowNote
    Edinburgh, Scotland

2. lrhbass

lrhbass Supporting Member

Apr 20, 2009
    Dallas,Tx.
    Thanks for the detailed report. Sounds like a real contender for the 10" market. It seems like we all could use a great sounding small speaker cabinet for the duo and trio settings ,that is
    fun to play...

geoffbassist likes this.
  3. Roger Davis

Roger Davis

May 24, 2006
    England
    Like all equipment, it all depends on the bass you're amping. And the pickup and the amp. With my Martin bass, Underwood and Puma it's very good. But with my Bryant, Lifeline and Puma it's just too dark, even with the hi bass and lo bass rolled right off.

So, if you're going to use it with an Underwood or something bright it's probably OK, but Barefaced's own spec describes the cab as 'coloured'.

geoffbassist likes this.
  4. LowNote

Jan 31, 2002
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    Further Update on the Barefaced One10:

I've just come in from a pub gig tonight in Edinburgh where I played mainstream jazz with a drummer and an un-amplified upright piano. This is a gig that I do only occasionally. The space for the musicians is extremely tight, and as a result, I took my Eminence EUB. I took only the Barefaced One10, driven by an Acoustic Image Clarus SL (one of the old, lower powered ones.) The speaker and amp combination, which was sitting vertically on the floor between the drum kit and the piano, was more than adequate for this job and I had to turn the volume way down. I think I had the master at about 11:00 and the left-hand volume set at about 9:00. I didn't use a HiPass filter since the Eminence is quite bright and I wanted a lot of low end. Unlike the Crazy 8, the BF One10 speaker doesn't have the same extreme excursion that requires a HiPass filter to "tame" it. I was very pleased by the amount of power and volume that was in reserve and look forward to more gigs with this combo in the future. Also, I had the speaker plus the Clarus and cables and an iPad in a Meinl Deluxe Cajon Bag that I got from Musicians' Fiend and it was a very easy and comfortable carry with the cajon bag slung over one shoulder.

This coming weekend I have two gigs in the Jazz Bar, Edinburgh's primary jazz club. Saturday afternoon it is a mainstream jazz piano trio gig with a Yamaha grand that has a pickup and goes into the house sound system, and Sunday evening I'm playing both upright and bass guitar in a piano trio plus guitarist backing a female vocalist doing jazz and pop. Since the Jazz Bar has a backline amp, i don't normally take anything with me except my instruments and am FDeck pre-amp, but at least on Sunday evening when on-street parking is available, I'm planning on taking in the Clarus/One10 combo to see how it does in this cellar bar that seats about 100 people. I'll have the option to use the backline amp if there isn't enough volume and can go into the house PA as well if needed. Stay tuned.

Erik Hansen aka Lownote
    Scotland

Peter Weil and geoffbassist like this.
  5. LowNote

Jan 31, 2002
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    Quick additional update on my Barefaced Bass One10--I posted this on the Bass Guitar Forum as well. Last night I played a Rat Pack show theatre gig in about a 500-seat theatre in Hartlepool, England. The band is five horns and three rhythm on stage (plus the Sinatra, Davis and Martin vocalists), and we always go into a house system for the FOH plus some monitors on stage. It is an upright gig. The band can get pretty loud by horn band standards. Because the quality of the sound system and crew can be quite variable, I have been taking either my Super Midget or Big Baby2, driven by an AI Focus SIII as a stage monitor, at a minimum, and a source for some FOH sound if the sound crew doesn't seem to be able to get the bass sound right. Last night I took just the One10 with the Focus, an easy load-in with both of them tucked into a padded cajon bag slung over my shoulder. The sound quality was fantastic, there was plenty of volume and I could have pulled a lot more out of the speaker if I'd had to. I got a bunch of compliments from the guys in the band on the punchiness and clarity of my sound, and the rhythm section swung like hell as it was so easy to lock up with the drummer and pianist. I love this speaker and the more I play it, the more I find that it opens up. I haven't tried it yet, but am confident that the One10 alone would be adequate for a full big band gig as long as we weren't trying to fill a huge theatre and were playing mostly swing stuff rather than loud funk arrangements.

Erik Hansen aka Lownote
    Scotland

Peter Weil and geoffbassist like this.
  6. notabene

notabene

Sep 20, 2010
    SF Bay area
    Got a Barefaced Bass One10 (based in large part on Erik's recommendation) two weeks ago. Used it twice with a loud 9 piece (5 horns) band and am so far very happy with it. I'm using it with a 1930's carved Czech roundback with an Ehrlund and Walter Woods 400watt greenlight. It is at least as loud as the Euphonic Audio 10CLX (36 pounds) I've been using, and doesn't seem to feedback nearly as easily (and unpredictably) as the EA did. And what joy it is to lift its 16 pounds in/out of the car trunk, up stairs etc. If I had a darker bass, or was using a Realist pickup, I might not be totally pleased. But with what I'm using, this is a great speaker.

Thanks,

Steven

7. Hi Erik, hope you're doing well. Was cool to meet up with you in Taupo. I based my Barefaced One10 purchase partly on your review, and I'm pleased to say I love it. I run it with a GK MB800 head, and it's my go to cab now. I also love my Greenboy fEARful 12/6 cab, but at less than half the size and weight, the Barefaced gets the nod for most of my gigs. My bass is not dark, it's a German carved with Barbera system, and the Barefaced suits it perfectly.

8. LowNote

Jan 31, 2002
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    Marty--great to hear from you and I'm pleased that the BF One 10 is working out well for you. You know I think it has been more than 10 years ago since we hooked up in Godzone. I recall that you were on your way to the NAMM show in L.A. and I was still living in L.A. but was in New Zealand on holiday. I've been in Scotland for over 8 years now which is quite a change from Southern California. I too have been using my One 10 for most of my stuff since I rarely need that much volume these days. Lately I've been rehearsing with a 3-horn pop band in formation which is a doubling gig, and the One 10 is perfect for the rehearsals. I'll probably use the Big Baby 2/Super Midget stack for the gigs unless there is good PA support. With good PA setup, the One 10 driven by my AI Focus S III will probably be plenty good enough. We're hoping to get back to NZ in early 2017, and if we make it I'll try and look you up.

Erik Lars Hansen aka Lownote
    Scotland

Peter Weil likes this.
  9. Jacques

Jacques

Feb 20, 2003
    Luxembourg
    CEO Ruppert Musical Instruments
    Could you please compare the Barefaced One Ten to the GK MBX 112?

Regards

Jacques

10. jthisdell

jthisdell Supporting Member

Jun 12, 2014
    Roanoke, VA
    Something about the One 10 seems to cause long posts...

I bought a One 10 back in February and have loved it. I primarily play an NS Designs NXT4, which in my humble opinion, is not easy to get a good tone out of. I use a Radial Bassbone OD pre and Obligatory strings. I've used it with both a Tonehammer 500 and a Rumble 150, both with good results. The One 10 compares favorably to my Berg CN112, not as bright because no tweeter but very good in the low end and mids. I bought it primarily for rehearsals because carrying the NS, CN112 and gig bag in one trip up and down stairs was a bit much. Glad I got it when I did because after ordering it I joined another band and now am twice as busy, rehearsing once a week with two bands and gigging out twice a month with each. I also have a Berg NV115 which is also good but much bigger and doesn't get used much, really just due to the size.

The One 10 will handle most of my gigs, typically small restaurant type deals. The CN112 is louder and seems to have better dispersal, that cab seems to emanate omni-directionally and is definitely more hi-fi. But the deciding factor on which cab to take is usually how much of a haul in/out there is, how much other gear do I need to fit in my Miata rather than which is louder or better. It doesn't require any different eq than my other cabs, but it is not going to get you as much highs as a good cab with a tweeter. That has not been a problem for me, it is usually a matter of controlling any piezo honkiness in the upper mids and then adjusting the low end, same as my other cabs.

So for rehearsals or smaller gigs with a reasonable volume type of ensemble it is hard to beat a One 10, IMHO unless you are playing harder rock everyone could get good use out of one. If you wanted to use one of these against loud drums, guitars etc. you would probably using the wrong tool for the job. I can't say that definitely as I just don't do that type of volume (and really have no interest in it). It is hard to order one without trying, as they are not really expensive but not cheap. I did sign up to let people check mine out on th BF website but have not had anyone in SW Va interested yet. I think it is good to have a variety of cabs and amps that work well in different combinations and the One 10 definitely fills many applications.

Plutonium244 likes this.
  11. LowNote

Jan 31, 2002
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    Jacque,

It is hard to compare them since they are very different speakers. The MBX 112 makes a good extension speaker for the GK MBE that I have but only if I'm playing solely bass guitar through it. I don't find it nearly full range enough to do justice to the more complex tone of a double bass. Further, the GK doesn't sound as good to me in general and I rarely use it. The only time it leaves the house is for the unusual gig where I have to leave my amp at a venue with uncertain security, like an Edinburgh Fringe Festival gig. The last time I used it was a one-week run last Summer at the Fringe where we left our gear in a store room with all of the kit from the other shows that were appearing in the adjoining performance space. I figured if somebody nicked it, it wouldn't be the end of the world.

Erik Hansen aka LowNote
    Edinburgh, Scotland

geoffbassist likes this.
  12. Jacques

Jacques

Feb 20, 2003
    Luxembourg
    Hello Eric,

Thank you for your quick reply.

I use a GK MB 150 SIII-112 together with the MBX112 and play exclusively bass guitar through it, that's why I was asking.

To get another comparison point: Could you compare it to the SL112?

Regards

Jacques

Ric Vice likes this.
  13. LowNote

Jan 31, 2002
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    Sorry but I don't know that speaker.

14. Plutonium244

Plutonium244 Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2015
    Wisconsin
    I have both a One10 and an Aggie SL-112. The SL-112 was the first lightweight cab for easy transport I bought, they are 25 pounds. I eventually bought a 2nd SL-112, then a One10. My experience with the SL-112 is that I wasn't overly-thrilled with the SL-112 sound by itself. When I bought a second, it sounded much better with 2 together. However, having 2 sort of neutralized the intended purpose of having small/portable/one-trip-load-in.

The SL-112 is a more colored, vintagey 12" than a Barefaced 12" driver, so in this regard the SL-112 is more like the One10. The power rating on the SL-112 is, I think, 250W, which is pretty comparable to a One10. SL-112 also has a higher list price than the One10. I like the sound of two SL's together, but it seemed to me like I was struggling a bit to get the tone I wanted out of one. The One10 is much more portable than the SL-112 even though the SL is light; One10 is 10 pounds lighter and considerably smaller. For all my small gigs, the One10 comes with. The Aggie SL-112's and my TH350 are my "permanent" home set-up.

SL-112's a re good cabs especially if you like a vintage-type tone; and it does have a tweeter which is not nappy and harsh, but sounds pretty good; and two is better than one. But at $750 per cab for the SL, I think The one10 is better value. And, if I were going to pay $750+ for a single 12", I think it better to go ahead, spend a little more, and get a Barefaced 12" like a SM or BB2-- but, if it's vintage tone you want, the SL-112 might be a better choice than a Barefaced 12"; but the One10 (or two of them) are in my mind a better choice for the vintage tone than the SL-112.

I am not bashing the SL-112, I like them well enough to keep them rather than sell; I just think the One10 does portable vintage tone better than the SL-112. Just my opinion, and YMMV etc.

15. Jacques

Jacques

Feb 20, 2003
    Luxembourg
    Thank you, excellent wrap-up of the situation and very instructive for me!

I totally share your view in the SL 112's

Regards

Jacques

Plutonium244 likes this.
  16. Jacques

Jacques

Feb 20, 2003
    Luxembourg
    Now if we could find somebody that has experience with the Phil Jones C4 as compared to the One ten we would have a pretty nice overview!

Regards

Jacques