1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Barge Concepts VFB-2 - Feedback Control?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by smo, Oct 5, 2008.

1. Hi all,

Thanks for the previous advice!

So I'd like to add some clean bottom to a few dirt pedals - and blend some chorus/filter with dirt.
    I'm having a gander at a few blender's, namely this one;
    http://www.bargeconcepts.com/vfb1.html

But I also saw the smaller brother - the VB-Jr. The small size and simplicity really appeals to me.
    As far as I can tell - the only difference is this "Feedback" control.

How does it work?
    And is it worth it - considering I'd prefer a smaller pedal footprint?

Thanks, Smo

2. gm jack

gm jack

Oct 5, 2008
    Reading UK
    I've also been looking at one. Unless you are a serious pedal freak, and so need every inch of pedal board space, I would go with the larger one for more capabilities. In my view, it is better to pay more for a feature you won't use than go without and then want it for that one song where it would be perfect.

In reality, saving the inch or so of width will not be much use, unless getting everything on your pedal board puts a tetris grand master to shame as it is.

3. kevteop

kevteop

Feb 12, 2008
    York, UK
    Someone sig that. Classic FX forum mentality. :D

4. Jared Lash

Jared Lash Born under punches

Aug 21, 2006
    Denver, CO
    If you are asking how the feedback loop works, it's a pretty straightforward concept that often produces some very weird results. Basically, for the pedals in the loop, whatever signal goes through to the receive jack gets fed back into the send to pass through again.

It makes for ultraweird modulation for things like flangers, crazy oscillation for delays and for completely unpredictable noises with other, like say a pitch shifter (Whammy, POG, Boss PS-3). It's a very fun thing to play around with, but only you can decide if it would be useful or fun enough to make it worth while.

I will say this, if you do get the feedback control (and it is fun to play around with), be very careful of volume spikes. I remember I just about blew my little practice amp with my wah in the feedback loop.

5. gm jack

gm jack

Oct 5, 2008
    Reading UK
    I bought a Q-tron Plus on the mentality "it is only £20 more and it has some more stuff". I now use it mostly in the slow response mode, while the original can only do fast response. My Fulltone bass drive is one of the newer models with the MOSFET switch. I use it entirely in MOSFET mode.

6. ehque

ehque

Jan 8, 2006
    Singapore
    Imho the feedback control doesn't work that great with dirt pedals.

IMHO.

7. Thanks guys.

Due to the fact that I already have two very capable solo guitarists in my band - crazy modulation isn't really what I need, but it could be fun.......

Is there anywhere I may be able to find a clip of this "feedback" feature? I'm not fussy on quality here.......

8. dirtgroove

dirtgroove

Jan 10, 2003
    Taipei, Taiwan
    really? weird... ...it comes up with some fantastic nonsense noise with an overdrive pedal on for me-.. ...each to his own I guess.