1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Barker Bass Club

Discussion in 'Barker Bass Forum' started by Tom7, Apr 6, 2009.

1. Tom7

Tom7 I'm so bright, my mom called me son! ;-)

Jan 31, 2000
    Eagle River, Alaska
    There are many "clubs" on talkbass.com, discussion threads dedicated to the work of a specific bass maker.

There isn't a Barker Bass club though, probably because we can do everything a club thread does and more over here in this sponsored forum.

Nevertheless, there are still advantages to having a Barker Bass club.

For example, when club members get a number and display it in their talkbass signature, then every time we post a comment anywhere in talkbass, we are also something positive about Barker Basses as well.

Also, being in a club communicates to everyone else that you have an enthusiasm for that brand, an enthusiasm which invites them to check out it out.

Additionally, it's one thing to lurk in a forum sponsored by a luthier, but it's another thing entirely to belong to a grass roots movement started by and driven by people who believe in it.

Consequently, I've decided to start a Barker Bass club on talkbass.

The other club threads take place in the main bass forum which doesn't make sense for the Barker Bass club, seeing as we have our Barker related conversations over here.

So the purpose of the Barker Bass Club is basically to maintain a current roster of the Barker Bass owners here on talk bass; kind of a "who owns what" roll call. In fact, this club thread should probably be made "sticky" so that everyone can easily find the list of Barker Bass owners on talkbass.

Like most of the other bass clubs on talkbass, to get a club number, simply post a photo of your bass in this club thread.

Please post your photos and join, then please display your Barker Bass Club membership number in your talkbass signature for the world to see. :D

And when you join, please don't forget to subscribe so you can check out the basses of your fellow Barker owners!

2. Tom7

Jan 31, 2000
    Eagle River, Alaska
    Here is a photo of my Barker Bass. It is a 5 string fretless, with dual basslines j pickups. The fingerboard is ebony, I'm not sure what the body wood(s) are.

It sure sound great though: big and meaty, and draws compliments on its looks EVERY time it is gigged.

[​IMG]

3. pointbass

pointbass Jersey to Georgia Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Endorsing Artist: FBB Bass Works
    Sure, count me in :D

B1 fretless 5, #0076

[​IMG]

4. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2006
    G.R. MI
    I didn't go home with one, but I am a fan!

DSCF0461.

Sorry Lee, you'll never be able to run for public office now that this has hit the internet!

5. TK4108

TK4108 Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2009
    U.S.A.
    Sign me up! Are you giving out numbers? :)

Attached Files:

6. Tom7

Jan 31, 2000
    Eagle River, Alaska
  7. Tom7

Jan 31, 2000
    Eagle River, Alaska
    Sure am! BTW, where are you at in the UK? My wife was born and raised in Bournemouth, as were 4 of our 7 children. (The other 3 were born in Alaska).

8. Tom7

Jan 31, 2000
    Eagle River, Alaska
    LOVE this photo! I'm going to have to get someone to take an action shot of us playing as well; those photos are so much cooler.

Love that Barker as well. Is it a lined fretless?

I love the look of that wood; more so than my black I'm afraid, although I do love the all black appearance of my Barker. It just adds to the modern "this is an electric upright" vibe of my bass.

9. Tom7

Jan 31, 2000
    Eagle River, Alaska
    We're fans as well, so I hope you hang out with us here. And when you do take one home, (notice I wrote "when"?) be sure and post photos here.

I'm a bit envious that you've met Lee and toured his shop. That would be VERY cool.

I couldn't help but notice the speaker cabinet at the top of the photo... did you make it, Lee?

10. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2006
    G.R. MI
    You know, it's worth the trip. I imposed myself on Lee for several hours, got a few very nice basses a little sweaty, and generally distracted him from doing anything productive for an entire afternoon. He still drops me a friendly E-mail from time to time. You would be hard pressed to find a nicer guy.

11. Lee Barker

Lee Barker Labor of evident value satisfies the soul. Supporting Member

Oct 25, 2005
    Redmond, Oregon
    owner, Barker Musical Instruments, maker of the Barker Bass, No Longer In Production.
    Thanks for the kind words, Phalex. That was a memorable day. I tried with my vague directions to get your inlaws lost that day so we'd have more time, but they found their way back. Perhaps they knew that the longer you'd stay, the more likely you'd be lugging something long and maroon out to the car.

As for the speakers, yes, those are the Barker Voice of God model. My former employee and I hefted them up there, and he made it very clear that, were he to be enlisted in a like project at any time in the future, it was a requirement that a forklift be involved!

12. pointbass

pointbass Jersey to Georgia Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Endorsing Artist: FBB Bass Works
    That's taken at a local joint in South Amboy NJ (Blue Moon) ... one of the few places around here that is strictly dedicated to jazz and blue live entertainment. We do a pretty regular Sunday afternoon "light jazz' gig there every 2-3 weeks or so. Love that place, and they have extremely appreciative clientele as well ... :)

My B1 is a lined fretless. Kinda enjoyed the lines for the first month while I adjusted to the "vertical-ness" of the bass, but I'd rather the neck be unlined for any future Barkers. The bass is beautiful in person and I never fail to get compliments on both the appearance & tone (the bass playing? ehhh, not so much .... :rolleyes:)

This is a case where the venue is very accustomed to seeing DB's most of the time, with an occassional EUB (NX, Ergo, etc), yet the Barker is extremely well received by the many musicians that attend these gigs (Blue Moon is a significant musician hangout). The venue owner has loudly and frequently announced that my B1 is his "favorite" bass ... :cool:

13. fretster

fretster Advanced Beginner

Nov 27, 2005
    Moraga, California
    founder, AceNote Inc.
    I'm up for another club member number, so sign me up! Looks like it will be a rare single digit number, too!

I've had Barker Bass #86 for almost a year, and I'm loving it. It's a lined fretless 4. I've played it on several bigband gigs and a bunch of small jazz combo gigs. I get compliments on the looks, and the sound! Lately I've been playing it in a jazz ensemble class at the Berkeley Jazz School, and many of the other bass players have come in to check it out. It got plenty of attention at the bay area bass get-together last Feb. Including from Mark Wright of AccuGroove who claimed to have some influence over the design. (Lee-- is that true?)

I put on a set of TI Flats, and I'm very happy with the tone and the feel. It can sustain forever, especially on low notes, and even more with the trick of having the bass amp right behind the instrument.

barker1.

14. Lee Barker

Oct 25, 2005
    Redmond, Oregon
    owner, Barker Musical Instruments, maker of the Barker Bass, No Longer In Production.
    Fretster, when Mark talks, I listen. He's one great innovator in an industry of many who fear the new, and every Sunday and Wednesday when I play through my Accugroove tri112 I am reminded of him and the fruits of his imagination and labor.

I'm pleased you are enjoying the B1.

I'd better hurry to get a small number. Maybe I can persuade Linda to put down her gardening stuff and pick up the camera.

15. fretster

Nov 27, 2005
    Moraga, California
    founder, AceNote Inc.
    No worries, looks like you already have Club #00.

16. Tom7

Jan 31, 2000
    Eagle River, Alaska
    Today's roster update welcomes fretster, a marvelous bassist in progress to the club.

What a GREAT little blurb you put there too.

I've been meaning to put TIJFs on my B1 for awhile now, but I like to record my basses before I change the strings to another type so I can compare, and I just haven't gotten around to it. I really need to, based on this report.

Cool news to about Mark Wright. My main backline rig is an AccuGroove El Whappo, with a Demeter head. LOVE that sound! How interesting to know that part of my rig was matched previously to my Barker.

At any rate, welcome aboard!

BARKER BASS CLUB ROSTER
    (Updated 29 May 09)

#00 Lee Barker
    1. Tom7 - B1 - (5-string fretless)
    2. pointbass - B1 (5-string fretless)
    3. TK4108 - B1 (4-string fretted)
    4. fretster - B1 (4-string lined fretless)
    5. <Your name could be here!>
    Former Barker Bass owners:

17. fretster

Nov 27, 2005
    Moraga, California
    founder, AceNote Inc.
    Thanks for the warm welcome Tom! Hey, we both have Nordy basses, Accugroove cabs, and Barker B1's. How cool is that?

18. Lee Barker

Oct 25, 2005
    Redmond, Oregon
    OK here's one: #99, Ginner, a B1 four string fretted. Several things set this one apart. From the top, as they say in music, there's the tuning machines. They're, well, cheap. That silver gray color, not black. Work fine. Then there's the electronics: Nordstrand split coils through a Stellartone Tonestyler with volume on top and a pickup blend in the middle. It's a very slick setup with acres of tonal variety and little clicks to help you find "it" again.

The knobs themselves are worthy of mention, though not readily visible here. Purple swirly tops. I had to have the bottom half machined so they would fit in the recesses.

This bass is currently my church player, supported by a GK BL600 through an Accugroove Tri112.

More details and images of Ginner on the BarkerBass blog:
    http://barkerbassblog.blogspot.com/search?updated-max=2009-03-13T09:45:00-07:00&max-results=7
    Scroll to Friday December 12 and Monday December 29, 2008.

Lee Barker #00

Attached Files:

19. I cannot BELIEVE I missed this thread!

As a past owner of several Barker Basses (all of which have been passed along to other TB'ers) and a current owner of a B2 prototype, I'd like a number.

[​IMG]

Can I get in on this? :hyper:

20. Lee Barker

Oct 25, 2005
    Redmond, Oregon
    That B2 is worthy of note: Only 8 were made. Joel and Pete Barker each have one. Ray Neyens in Seattle (http://www.rayneyens.com/index.htm) has one. Two in Connecticut and one in Nova Scotia. One has faded from the radar, and that leaves one which is for sale on this very forum as I post this! Rare opportunity? Mere coincidence? Cosmic intervention? Proposed course of action which makes the alternatives unbearable?