1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Bartolini Pickups

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by iriegnome, Apr 27, 2009.

1. iriegnome

iriegnome Bassstar style Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2001
    Kenosha, WI 53140
    I have been trying to get some information on my Bartolini pickups that are in my Modulus. I have been faxing and calling for 2 weeks now without one response:spit: and I am getting a little frustrated.
    Does anyone know how to get in touch with someone at Bartolini? I have the phone number as 925-443-1037 and I can leave a message, but nobody calls back or even trys to get in contact with me..
    My faxes include 3 contact phone numbers and 2 different e-mails.
    :confused::help:

2. 3506string

3506string

Nov 18, 2004
    Lawton, OK
    What info are you trying to get, you might have better luck with someone on the board.

3. iriegnome

Nov 23, 2001
    Kenosha, WI 53140
    I am trying to get any information on my specific pickups.
    As near as I can tell they are from around 1978 or so. They are the XTCT-LZ
    system, but they do not have a DTA1.3 with them.
    Also, according to on-line wiring, most of the secondary (I think Mid boxes) have 2 wires for them and the one I have in my bass has 3 sires.
    So, I am confused as to exactly what I have. Since it does not work, I am even more in need of help...
    ANY HELP IS GREATLY APPRICIATED.
    Thanks

4. TonyP-

TonyP- Excuse me but you have your I-IV-V in my II-V-I Gold Supporting Member

Aug 21, 2003
    Boston Mass
    A-Designs Audio Mike Lull Custom Guitars Gallien Krueger amplification Tsunami Cables GHS Strings RMI Basswitch Nordstrand Pickups Darkglass Electronics
    Is the bass you are talking about a very early Modulus?

If so then let me suggest another route.

I would suggest speaking to Geoff Gould the founder of Modulus.

Geoff is a very personal guy and wealth of knowledge.
    He worked closely with Bill on developing some specific pickups under Bartolini label.

There is a distinct possibility that Geoff knows.
    http://www.ggould.com/home.html

(He is a very email centric guy so I would ping him).

Its worth a shot if this is what you are talking about.

If thats not the case and its a bart post Geoff leaving Modulus then Brian Ristola from Bestbassgear.com might now somehting about it.

5. spode master

spode master

Jan 21, 2007
    Also if you pull out the PUP and look at the bottom the model number is often etched into the Epoxy on the bottom.

You may be able to cross reference.

6. iriegnome

Nov 23, 2001
    Kenosha, WI 53140
    I will try geoff and pulling the pup out.

7. iriegnome

Nov 23, 2001
    Kenosha, WI 53140
    Um~ What does "ping" mean?:confused:

8. TonyP-

Aug 21, 2003
    Boston Mass
    A-Designs Audio Mike Lull Custom Guitars Gallien Krueger amplification Tsunami Cables GHS Strings RMI Basswitch Nordstrand Pickups Darkglass Electronics
    # Ping (verb), a slang term, derived from the network tool, meaning to check on or check with another person (used particularly in computer and other tech industries).

9. iriegnome

Nov 23, 2001
    Kenosha, WI 53140
    Well, I e-mailed Geoff from his website. I spoke with the Bartolini sale office. THey said that probably the only one to be able to answer any questions or work on my electronics would be Bartolini himself. So, I don't exactly know what to do next. I am going to wait
    for the factory to call and see how it goes.

10. iriegnome

Nov 23, 2001
    Kenosha, WI 53140
    So, Geoff e-mailed me and told me he would like to see a pic of my electronics. Also, he said it more than likely has to be just a wiring issue. Again, since I do not have a wiring schematic, I can't exactly determine what the heck is going on with it.

11. TonyP-

Aug 21, 2003
    Boston Mass
    I thought you where just looking for information not an actual "issue", if there was just an issue did you take your bass to respectable repair person?

A decent luthier might not know what you have but could still repair what you have.

12. iriegnome

Nov 23, 2001
    Kenosha, WI 53140
    There is no such person anywhere near where I am in SE Wisconsin. I have a awesome luthier here, but he does not do electronics. I do not know of anyone around me that can work on Active electronics.
    I actually had the Bart rep tell me that my pickups were pretty much junk anyway and that today's pickups were better.
    Duh!! no kidding, but since the bass is all original and pretty rare from what I have found, I would like to try to get the original ones up and running.

13. TonyP-

Aug 21, 2003
    Boston Mass
    Ok thats a bit clearer now...

Could really be that a new preamp is all you need.

BTW: I have some older Barts pickups that I believe the model set was called the GG (named after Geoff) that are humberker style with the back backup slightly smaller then front and it kills IMHO.

14. iriegnome

Nov 23, 2001
    Kenosha, WI 53140
    reply from Goeff 'You might be in trouble if the EQ is fried. At least they can be replaced by better stuff.'

15. It's a bit of a drive for you - but Denny Rauen at Rauen guitars in Milwaukee is a brilliant tech/luthier. I use him and his son Josh for everything. you may want to give him a spin. Good Luck

DR

16. TonyP-

Aug 21, 2003
    Boston Mass
    Some people don't like the Bart EQ, I do...

But I don't think you can wrong with at 9 volt BT if you are having an EQ issue and want to keep the cost down.
    Glad He got back to you, I had a feeling He would.

17. iriegnome

Nov 23, 2001
    Kenosha, WI 53140
    It was very cool to hear from him. The bass electronics just don't work and I would love to avoid replacing them, if I can. With what I have found out from Bart and the people I have talked to, I would most certainly NOT replace my Barts with Barts. Customer service is very big with me and I have not received any from Bartolini. I have gotten more response from everyone here and Geoff then from Bartolini. (I am pretty disappointed in that).

18. iriegnome

Nov 23, 2001
    Kenosha, WI 53140
    I used to work at UWM! They are right near there.