Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Basic recording studio?

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by Bluez Dawg, Jan 16, 2006.

1. what is the basic gear I should look at, to start my recording studio? I want the basic of basic gear to start with then Ikll go and buy the pricy stuff, I will proble start buying my first peice around june.

2. Bakkster_Man

Bakkster_Man

Jan 15, 2006
    How big are you looking, and what parts are you looking for? Digital or analog?

Ideally your recording equipment should be in a different room than your playing space. If that isn't possible, seperate them any way you can. I once used all the mattresses in a house to dampen the sound. Used or scrap carpet on the walls is a cheap reverb prevention, and egg cartons also work, but take more time.

For digital, a dedicated computer works well. I use the E-MU 1820 inteface, which has 18 inputs and 20 outputs, which is enough for most recording, and is capable of 192kHz. You'll want to research on your own for what meets your needs.

3. Yeah I cant really help putting my recording room in to my practice room, so I was thinking of a Lap top wich I have, and a mixing board or 2, and then of corse my amp, and then a descent mic.

:hyper: :bassist:

4. Bakkster_Man

Bakkster_Man

Jan 15, 2006
    In this case, the most important thing to look for is your Analog/Digital interface. Bandwidth is key, here. You want as many tracks coming in as possible, so you can avoid mixing any data down before mastering.

If you want a lot of tracks/high quality audio, I'd suggest the E-MU products. The 1616 (laptop version) can record 8 tracks at 44.1/48kHz or 2 at 176.4/192kHz. I use the desktop vesion (the 1820) and I love it. You can find stuff with less bandwidth if you are planning on recording one/two tracks at a time, but if you plan to ever upgrade and still use a laptop, the 1616 is the way to go. Price is a little steep though ($400, $500 with external clock sync).

For mixing boards, you just need as many inputs as you want to record and as many outputs as you have inputs to your computer. Mixing down during recording gives you fewer options, since your levels are fixed and all the audio data is now together and can't be modified seperately. However, if you have time, this is a good option for the poor recording engineer.

So your options include:
    1) Buy a good digital interface that will stay adequate for your needs as you expand. (Expensive, but better quality)
    2) Buy a cheap digital interface and mixer and mix while recording. (Cheaper, but can be frustrating)

Hope that helps.

5. The store where I take lessons from, he has 2 units Im looking at, but I dont know the name of the 2 units, first one is a input output board this board http://www.digitech.com/products/GNX3000/GNX3000.htm for $389, and and the other is a mixer board for $600, its a grey mixor board with black knobs with blue middle inset lines on each button.

6. amistybleu

amistybleu

Jan 15, 2006
    Thornton, CO
  7. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    I use a EM-U 1810 as well and love it. Question to the others who have this system:
    Do the effects seem good to you? I can't seem to get any decent distortions out of it for my guit@rist (the lazy **** didn't want to lug his amp here).
    But other than the crappy effects, this unit works great. I would avoid multi tracks and go for a computer interface if you want to start up a recording studio... The multi tracks are hard to set up and are limited, the EM-U I have is easy to work with once you get used to it and can have as many tracks as you want, along with tons of inputs.

8. Thanks guys, I may go the way of the mixor :)

9. I recommend hooking up your laptop to a firepod. It will give you the ability to record 8 tracks at once with some good software. It comes with Cubase LE which which allow you to start recording 4-tracks at a time. The mic pre-amp is good. I record band practice using two Oktava condenser mics which works well. I'm building up to DI. Make sure your laptop can handle firewire.