1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

bass amp as a subwoofer?

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by JMKunkle, Jun 29, 2012.

1. JMKunkle

JMKunkle

Jun 29, 2012
    I am new at this. Want to know if I can connect a 100 watt bass amp to a pa system as a subwoofer for a church setting. can the bass amp still be used as a bass guitar amp as well? I have a 16 channel Peavy 2002 mixer.

2. Barisaxman

Barisaxman Gold Supporting Member

Aug 17, 2005
    Omaha, NE
    How do yo plan on connecting it? Short answer is I wouldn't recommend using a bass amp for something it wasn't intended for. It could be ok, but it's really not going to sound anywhere close to even a cheap sub used correctly.

If you don't have the tools available, keep it simple. Use the bass amp as a bass amp. Put only what's necessary in the PA (e.g. vocals, keys, etc), and use your stage volume to balance the group. It will be way more effective (and make you a better musician) than hacking together a rig with a bass amp/quasi sub and hoping for the best.

3. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    This is basically going to suck... 100 watts is a small bass amp .. it's a miniscule subwoofer... I'm guessing it's a combo. Probably doesn't go below 80 to 100 hz anyway ...

If you insist, you would play through the board, and send the low side of the PA's crossover to the amp. No crossover ? Then it is even less likely to add to the sound quality.

4. uhdinator

uhdinator

Apr 20, 2010
    Maine
    unless it has a line level return on the back, you don't want to run line level from a mixer or cross over into an instrument input that is for a much lower level. Bottom line it will suck yes.

5. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    Most of the modern bass amps I've used can handle a line in using the pad. Granted not all and bottom line... It's still a terrible idea.

6. Hactar

Hactar

Sep 25, 2011
    Boulder, CO
    Given that it's a 100W bass amp, it will not add much low end and it will not be enough to compete with any decent set of mains.

Also, it will not handle transients very well. The voice coil might decide to fly toward the next county, especially if there is a kick in the mix.

7. Since you have a mixer, you are far, far better off getting a dedicated amplifier for the sub.
    And no, the bass amp wouldn't be able to perform double-duty as it's inputs/outputs are mono(usually).
    Sorry but it's generally a terrible idea.

8. jplumansoc

jplumansoc

Mar 15, 2012
    Seattle, WA
    yeah, bass amps aren't designed for that kinda thing but you can probably pick up some sort of active sub amp for cheaps from mackie/qsc, behringer to give you summor low end.

9. Its probably not a good idea. A sub uses a lot of power to go very low and 100w probably wont cut it. If it isn't some sort of horn design it is definitely not enough and you'd need a huge amount of power to get a desired sub-bass level out of a direct radiating cabinet design.

Then there is the question of what tops would be used for the rest of the PA? Most small PA\s these days are probably more powerful and the sub wouldn't be able to keep up with the mids/highs.

10. MNAirHead

MNAirHead Supporting Member

Many church goers and sanctuaries arent good matches for subs