Bass Amp Shootout (Trickfish, Eich, Aguilar, TC)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Boombass76, Dec 21, 2016.

1. Boombass76

Boombass76 Commercial User

Jul 1, 2008
    Denmark
    BassCollect Blog & Shop (founder)
    Since I now have access to a lot of different bass amps (and at the same time), I figured a bass comparison test might be fun. For starters, I have included the following amps:

- Trickfish Bullhead 1K
    - Eich T-900 (also covers T-500 and T-300)
    - Aguilar Tone Hammer 500 (also covers TH350)
    - TC Electronic RH750 (also covers RH450)

Only the preamp section and DI out is on test, but the shootout has been created so more amps can easily be added along the way - and that is the plan at some point :)

Well, please drop by and listen if you're curious to hear how these bass heads actually compare:

Link removed by mod due to bad redirect.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 26, 2020
    Pbassmanca, lo-freq, caligula and 3 others like this.
  2. Agosix

Agosix Supporting Member

May 7, 2013
    Woodhaven NY
    Great comparisons. Would like to hear Genzler Magellan and Quilter Bass Block 800. Trickfish for me. TC is a second

Last edited: Dec 21, 2016
    mpdd and ryanowens like this.
  3. bassbooty

bassbooty -Rey Supporting Member

Jul 4, 2006
    Utah
    Nicely done! :thumbsup:

Naturally, I like the Eich best overall for my taste but the Trickfish comes in a close second, IMO. Both have really clean tones with a wide frequency response, which is what I prefer for my sound.

Matt Morgan likes this.
  4. Matt Morgan

Matt Morgan Fellow Conspirator Supporting Member

Ditto. I love my Eich T900. My next choice based on all those examples would be the Trickfish. Both great sounding amps!

lo-freq and bassbooty like this.
  5. Boombass76

Jul 1, 2008
    Denmark
    Yes, the Genzler is also making me very curious! Would love to add that some day :)

Agosix likes this.
  6. Great idea! :thumbsup:

For Fingerstyle, probably the TH 500 (I'm an Aggie player anyway). It does sound a bit less clear than esp the Trickfish and the Eich though.
    For slap, the Eich all the way.
    For allround, probably the Trickfish. Have read good things about this amp.

I played the Tecamp Puma 900 for a year, but couldn't get used to its enormously glassy, transparent tone. It sounded just much too polite and smooth to me. The Eich definitely reminds me of the Puma.

Any chance you could add the Darkglass M 900 and the new Glockenklang Steamhammer to that list in the future?

Last edited: Dec 23, 2016
    ryanowens likes this.
  7. Boombass76

Jul 1, 2008
    Denmark
    There should be a chance that I can add the Darkglass sometime soon. The Glockenklang I am not so sure about, but maybe if I can find one locally that I can borrow for a few hours :)

8. Cuzzie

Cuzzie Supporting Member

Jan 1, 2016
    I would add the Tecamp puma to the list for a proper EICH comparison.

Things like the Aggie and the Mesa D800 etc. are always going to get used, even the DG has its following so a comparison would be good but not essential if you get my meaning.

What would be nice to add in aswell as the Tecamp would be the EBS Reidmar and also the Jule M700 power amp (not Monique). it would be nice to hear its pure tone, as for someone who has pre-amp pedals and shaped their tone just a pure amplification may be an alternative.

Finally for my own benefit the Tech21 dUg Ultrabass would be top of my list to hear its clean tone. We all know what it can produce cranked, but there is not a lot out there either on it, or on its clean tone.

Good work on this though

bassbooty likes this.
  9. bassbooty

Jul 4, 2006
    Utah
    Some sound samples of the Genzler Magellan as well as the Glockenklang Blue Rock in this thread:

Quasi-Scientific Amp Comparo: Blue Rock, Magellan, GBE 1200, KXB 500

Last edited: Dec 22, 2016
  10. Boombass76

Jul 1, 2008
    Denmark
    Yes, I agree. That would be very interesting to explore furtjer.

Hallic, bassbooty and Cuzzie like this.
  11. MarkA

MarkA In the doghouse. Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2008
    Just found this thread -- great job, nice methodology. Just found this after I bought an Eich T-900 (just about an hour ago), of course. Listening to the samples now, I like the depth and clarity of the Eich, but like the Trickfish more, overall. Seems to have more thickness/push in the lower mids while still being clear. I've owned an Aggie TH500 -- nice in its own way, but not for me. The TC didn't sound bad, either.

Hoping I'll be able to get the Eich where I want it with a bit (not too much) of EQ. And there's still my bass and cabs -- maybe I'll dig it just fine with knobs at noon.

I think I know this thread.

ryanowens, lo-freq and bassbooty like this.
  12. bassbooty

Jul 4, 2006
    Utah
    Lol...:laugh:

Congrats on the Eich T-900 amp! I think it sounds great in the samples. I have the Puma 900 which has the same front panel knob layout and same EQ frequencies. For me, it has been hands down the easiest amp to get a sound I'm really happy with very quickly and without a lot of fuss. Additionally, on the gig when EQ'ing for a room or a particular song, a quick and very minor adjustment to either the Taste control or any of the EQ knobs gets me right where I wanna be. The frequency points and tapers of each EQ control are very well designed/chosen. IMO, the Puma sounds great with all knobs at noon so I'm guessing the Eich will sound as good if not better, being that it's Thomas Eich's latest version/design.

Definitely interested in and looking forward to hearing your thoughts on the Eich T-900 Mark, so please do share once you've had some time with it.

-Rey

Last edited: Mar 13, 2017
  13. MarkA

MarkA In the doghouse. Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2008
    Will do.

I've only had a couple of brief exposures to the Puma 900, and not in a live performance setting. My impression at the time was, "Nice, but a bit polite." (My main amp, for reference, is the GBE 1200 of which clips are posted in the thread you linked to.) I've read one or two posts on here from people who've played both the Puma and the Eich and ended up preferring the Puma, but I've read some saying the converse, and I've talked with a couple of folks who said that they found the Eich to be more open and vibrant sounding. Thomas Eich said something about a different circuit board layout and other factors improving the clarity of the amp... as for EQ, I'll have to check the center frequencies (I'm sure I looked at them at one point, but forget what they are now), but I wonder if there might be other, subtle differences in the design.

My only "micro" at the moment is a Kustom KXB500. A fun little amp and I dig it, but I usually find myself playing the lead sleds. We'll see what sort of case the Eich makes for itself!

Cheers,
    Mark

14. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    DFW, Texas
    I liked the Eich better - the Trickfish sounded nice for slap (fingerstyle - nah), but overall Eich sounded VERY solid with nice heft to the notes & good clarity / speed.

Agosix and bassbooty like this.
  15. optimist

optimist

May 6, 2014
    Amersfoort
    Cannot seem to open the shootout on my windows pc.

16. GRoberts

GRoberts

Jan 7, 2003
    Tucson, AZ USA
    Where can the Eich T-900 purchased in the US? How much are they in USD?

17. Matt Morgan

Matt Morgan Fellow Conspirator Supporting Member

From Jorg Schroeder of Schroeder cabinets. He's the only US dealer. Love my T900!
    You can get pricing from him.

lo-freq likes this.
  18. revroy

revroy Supporting Member

It looks as if you can also order directly... You can do the conversion from euro to dollar and subtract the 19% VAT and get a very good idea... so the T900 is 899 euros = $954 X 81% = $773. Then add whatever shipping (they estimate 60 euros = $64 for outside of Europe) and tariffs there might be (is that 5%?)... so maybe around $900?

GRoberts likes this.
  19. Jesuguru

Jesuguru Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2003
    DC area (for now)
    Sorry for old thread resurrection, but I'm wondering if anyone else hears a distinct difference between the Eich T1000 and the T500/700/900, the 1000 sounds clearer/fuller to me. Trickfish is close 2nd.

20. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    Not particularly, no. Didn't listen to all the clips, but the Eich amps sounded about the same to me in the neutral setting clips.

And even though this is a somewhat old test, I'll volunteer my opinion...the Aggie always sounded best to me because there were more balls on the high notes. Was not thrilled about the other amps, to be honest. The TC probably came in second for me but I think the Aggie was the best one by far.

MarkA likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Sep 23, 2021