1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Bass amps with adjustable FX loops for sensitivity and series/parallel

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by GeneralElectric, Nov 29, 2017.

1. GeneralElectric

GeneralElectric

Dec 26, 2007
    NY, NY
    Just wondering whats out on the market.

My favorite amp to play through is my Aguilar AG 500. I love the tone and its fast attack, but one of the coolest things for me is the FX loop on the amp which not only can switch between parallel and series, but also has an adjustable +/-20db send/return. Its super helpful for driving certain pedals that don't normally work so well as line level effects on bass.

I'm not really looking to get an amp immediately. I'm in currently in downsizing mode, but it doesn't hurt to have something that'll motivate me to sell my crap!

2. Most pedals are designed to work in front of the amp and not in the Effects Loop.

3. Trace SMX does tweak operating level.

GeneralElectric likes this.
  4. GeneralElectric

GeneralElectric

Dec 26, 2007
    NY, NY
    Reply and a bump ;)

Some pedals work better in an FX loop. Its usually modulation effects that go through the loop, but I have one particular distortion pedal that is placed in there.

But also the adjustable send/return is super useful when you're playing with a pedal meant for guitar and has a minimal effect on bass. For example, I got an awesome phaser from Mr Black. It slays on guitar. On bass, it seems you need to dime every control on the pedal to get a good phase effect. Putting it through the FX loop lets me raise the gain to better interact with the pedal, and then adjust the return, so I can still maintain unity gain in my signal chain.

I also play a passive P-bass most of the time, so that definitely factors into it too. :)

5. anderbass

anderbass

Dec 20, 2005
    Phoenix. Az.
    If you wanna include amps on the used market:
    The older Mesa/Boogie D180, 400 & 400+ amps all came with an "Effects Blend" knob.

6. abarson

abarson

Nov 6, 2003
    Santa Cruz
    My old Tubeworks RT-3300 has level adjustment for both effects send and return, as well a wet/dry signal mix control. I've not seen the likes on any other amp, and especially not newer ones.

7. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa, Product Support-Genz Benz
    The number of players that would benefit from this is very (very) small compared with the cost and inevitable support questions (challenges) that would arise.

8. Passinwind

Passinwind I know nothing. Commercial User

Dec 3, 2003
    Columbia River Gorge, WA.
    Owner/Designer &Toaster Tech Passinwind Electronics
    IMO going for something out of the box is a better bet than looking for a unicorn amp. If you post over in the Effects Forum you should get plenty of ideas for pedal solutions.

GeneralElectric and BadExample like this.