Bass as a Carry-on/Checked Baggage...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Sal Monella, Aug 28, 2009.

1. Sal Monella

Sal Monella

Jun 9, 2009
    Okay, I'm flying into LAX tomorrow on United Airlines...I am trying to see how I can get either an short scale electric bass or an acoustic bass either on as a carry-on or how the airline would charge me for checking it.

The acoustic bass measures 51 by 18.5 by 6.5 inches, which is over UA's 62 linear inch limit...although the case is shaped as the acoustic bass, not as a rectangle. The short scale acoustic bass is a Gibson SG, dimensions 46, 16, 5 inches at its largest widths. Does anyone know about any rules for UA about carrying on guitars or how exactly they would compute the linear length...since its not a perfect rectangle. For checked items over 62 linear inches it's an extra $100.

Thanks!

2. noahw1

noahw1

Jul 22, 2005
    Los Angeles, CA
    I've carried my gig bag on a plane before no problems. You would probably have better luck with the electric because it's thinner and won't take up as much space in an overhead compartment.

Good luck.

3. heb9_28

heb9_28

Jul 1, 2009
    You should be able to take an electric bass in a gig bag on an airplane. My Uncle (Daniel Pecchio from Glass Harp and Michael Stanley Band... dunno if anyone knows/cares) has an original '61 Jazz bass that he doesn't let any airline check and he's taken it on planes plenty of times...

4. melodicly

melodicly

Oct 22, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    I was told by southwest that I would have to buy another seat for it. It was only a weekend trip so I figured I would bring a chick to sit in the extra seat.

5. Sal Monella

Sal Monella

Jun 9, 2009
    It wont fit in a gig bag that I have, only hard shell cases...any ideas?

6. jomahu

jomahu

Dec 15, 2004
    Bos, MA
    if it's a molded case, you might be ok. regular cases must be checked in as baggage (and paid for, grrr!)
    i've taken my behemoth jazz in a gig bag on the plane. sometimes it fits on the overhead, but most times, i just put it in the front of the plane or checked it at the gate.

7. jjk2007

jjk2007 Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Good luck. I see that one headed to the bottom of the plane. Hope I'm wrong though.

8. Sal Monella

Sal Monella

Jun 9, 2009
  9. Well what about the amp ???
    If it is school, why don't you ship it out there? It will be there in a few days, and absolutely cheaper than the airlines. I have used Road Way many times for just that reason.

10. xgator4u is right. If you're going to school, box it and ship UPS, USPS, Fedex; I've used the first two for years when moving from one part of the country to another. Shipped a guitar in its case to-and-from Iraq, shipped guitars and basses to-and-from Korea, in their cases and boxed. No damages. It's the way to go. Just tell them to hold it for you for pickup at the other end.

11. Sal Monella

Sal Monella

Jun 9, 2009
    A $20 fee would be a better for me than the big shipping costs of UPS or Fedex-coast to coast!

12. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 12, 2021