1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Bass blue book?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by birdxofxprey, Jan 2, 2007.

1. just out of curiosity, is there a bass equivalent of the kelley blue book? or are we TBers basically it?

2. I'm sure there is a definitive referece book somewhere but a quick & dirty way to check bass values is to go to EBay and check out the completed auctions of a given model.

You'll have to do some further investigation of the individual basses in those auctions but this method will give you a general overview of what the market will bear and what people are paying.

3. basspraiser

basspraiser Jammin for the Lamb! Supporting Member

Dec 8, 2006
    Chicago - NW Burbs
    Check this out....you can look a specific guitar up on line for $3.99 or you can buy the book (kind of expensive) if you do not need it on a regular basis:

http://www.orionbluebook.com/orion/guitar-music.asp

This company has books for a lot of different items (i.e. computers , electronics, etc).....he gets his data from dealers and brokers....it also gives three different values (retail, trade-good and trade- average)....have not really analyzed the instrument pricing but their computer guide seems to be reasonable (I use it in my business all the time)...I beleive there is a different volume for "collectible guitars"....also, I ran into a guide at Borders not long ago, but do not know the name of it....was $30 or so and came out annually - maybe another TBer can fill in my mind blank here.....

4. Engine207

Engine207 Losing faith in humanity...one call at a time.

Jul 10, 2008
    Higley, AZ
    Holy thread revival, batman! Thank you "search" button!!!

I have found two such guides:

I was ready to pull the trigger on a nice looking MIM Fender Jazz Bass V. The dude wanted $350 (+shipping) for it, but I checked in BlueBook of Electric Guitars, by Zachary R. Fjestad and S. P. Fjestad, where it booked out at $275 to $325. Then I looked at the 2009 Official Vintage Guitar Magazine Price Guide by Alan Greenwood, where it booked at $175 to $300. So I figured $270 would be about the average of them all, and represented a fair compromise.

I'm a big "deal-chaser" and figgered that paying more than the average would be like buying a used car for more than it's blue-book or buying a home for more than the appraisal.
    Given the economic times in which we live, and the "necessity" of bass guitars for the average Joe, it wasn't really a lowball offer. So I asked him, "other than your feeling, where does the $350 number come from?" To which he replied, " We research everyday what items sell for on ebay, craigslist and what the new prices are. They fluctuates daily on gear. As far as pricing, $350 with a case is a pretty fair price considering they are $599.99 with out a hard shell case brand new."

Since the bass in question is a 2000, there were no "comps" to pull from eBay or Craigslist". I was prepared to go $300, but decided to pass and see if he had any greater sense of urgency after a few weeks of dust gathering and overhead accumulation...

So what's the deal? Are these pricing guides the standard or are they trash?

5. oldrookie

oldrookie

May 15, 2007
    Avon, IN
    A local shop uses one as an excuse to offer $180 for a six-month G&L Tribute L2000. No idea what the book was, but I wasn't convinced.

6. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Vintage Guitar Price guide. Excellent resource, basses, guitars, amps, even effects pedals.

7. Engine207

Engine207 Losing faith in humanity...one call at a time.

Jul 10, 2008
    Higley, AZ
    I think that's the "Greenwood Guide", as it's called. Would you guess that is a legit resource as far as determining a fair price, especially in the absence of current eBay/CL comps? This guy was justifying his price of $350 by comparing his 2000 to what I would pay for a new one ($599) and "the Fender price increases" and all that...