1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Bass cab has a typo - is it fake?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by pedroyoyoma, Jan 13, 2020.

1. pedroyoyoma

pedroyoyoma

Jul 10, 2017
    Oakland, CA
    My bud bought a used Ampeg cab and on the back it says "imputs" instead of "inputs" I just watched a documentary about fake products in the US marketplace and they said this is the #1 tell something is a forgery. What do y'all think?

Attached Files:

dkelley and Squittolo like this.
  2. Omega Monkey

Omega Monkey

Mar 8, 2015
    Well it's too late to care now if it is. But yeah, I would guess it's likely to be fake. What does the rest of the cab look like?

3. GrapeBass

GrapeBass

Jun 10, 2004
    Toronto
    Graphic designer: Yorkville Sound
    It happens

4. Kro

Kro Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    New Jersey
    dkelley and Squittolo like this.
  5. abarson

abarson

Nov 6, 2003
    Santa Cruz
    Google images show both the correct and incorrect spellings. Maybe different revisions and a goofed stencil?
    I've not heard of anyone going to the trouble to counterfeit an Ampeg.

JPDsma, joker820, walldaja and 5 others like this.
  6. abarson

abarson

Nov 6, 2003
    Santa Cruz
  7. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

sounds inpossible.

8. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

Does it though? I have heard of people swapping badges and what not but I have never seen a mass-produced cabinet counterfeiting operation. Those stickers seem far too legit to be fakes and far too good to be homemade.

I would say it is much more likely that Ampeg made a boo-boo on the printing.

9. joebeadg

joebeadg

Sep 1, 2010
    eustis fl
    it also has two different ser.#'s

DJ Bebop likes this.
  10. basscooker

basscooker Commercial User

Apr 11, 2010
    cincy ky
    Owner, ChopShopAmps
    That sure is a lot of effort for not a lot of $$$

I'm with the consensus thus far. Just a bad day at QC is my guess.

Likely an overseas contract manufactured plate + wiring job. English maybe not even the first language, so could have been a whole run with a mistake like that. Could be dozens if not hundreds of them.

TinIndian, hintz and Redbrangus like this.
  11. pedroyoyoma

pedroyoyoma

Jul 10, 2017
    Oakland, CA
  12. Kro

Kro Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    New Jersey
    But as has been noted, a different serial. I'm leaning towards it just being a typo in certain runs. I've also not heard of these being counterfeited.

dkelley and Bassdirty like this.
  13. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa, Product Support-Genz Benz
    Mistakes do happen and sometimes they get by QC. That said, it is a common indicator of counterfeits.

You can always look at the drivers and back of the input plate/crossover.

Actually, there are some MASSIVE cabinet counterfeiting operations in China, any brand with high perceived value is a candidate. China is in fact the largest and now most sophisticated counterfeit operation in the world, stealing IP is big business and they don't copy Chinese brands either... they copy US and European brands.

The link posted below SHOULD be eye opening, every product listed is a counterfeit, a fake and a misrepresentation. Harman tries to shut them down but they pop up as fast or faster than they shut down, and the cost of enforcement is staggering (especially when "bribes" are factored in). These products don't sound nor do they perform in any way like the real products. You think this is bad? Yo ought to be really worried about things like medications and food.

China Jbl Speaker, Jbl Speaker Wholesale, Manufacturers, Price | Made-in-China.com

wmhill, Andre678, pacojas and 41 others like this.
  14. matante

matante

Nov 3, 2003
    Los Angeles
    "Imput" is how you say "input" in Missouri.

wmhill, Blankandson, pacojas and 36 others like this.
  15. FugaziBomb

FugaziBomb

Jun 5, 2017
    JRA, you're A-OK.

16. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

Maybe I should have been more clear - I have never seen any guitar cabinets being counterfeited. Your link doesn't include any either. I ran an electronics warehouse for years. I am quite familiar with home stereo equipment counterfeits. And, yes, unfortunately, those are commonly seen.

I would be pretty shocked if the cabinet in question was not an authentic Ampeg product.

Pilgrim likes this.
  17. Wilmingtonian

Wilmingtonian

Aug 20, 2011
    That's just where you imput the anperage

Winoman, dkelley, DJ Bebop and 4 others like this.
  18. Wilmingtonian

Wilmingtonian

Aug 20, 2011
    Wait, so they are ALL fakes?

dkelley and DJ Bebop like this.
  19. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa, Product Support-Genz Benz
    No, I was just showing one example. If you think Fender products are not counterfeited, you are naive because there are multiple companies that counterfeit these products as well. Often they will show a picture without the proper badge, but dishonest importers can order them built with counterfeit Fender badges, silkscreen and in counterfeit Fender cartons and with counterfeit Fender manuals too.

While my examples show only a few products, these companies will copy ANYTHING and as closely as their customer is willing to pay for. Of course, it's not legal but it's out there.

Fender guitar amp, China fender guitar amp, fender guitar amp Manufacturers, China fender guitar amp catalog

Marshall guitar amp, China marshall guitar amp, marshall guitar amp Manufacturers, China marshall guitar amp catalog

hintz and DJ Bebop like this.
  20. Roland GR 88

Roland GR 88

Sep 16, 2013
    Whitby
    I've seen a lot of serial numbers with the prefix (21) but never yet with the words 'serial number' actually written in after it as well. Until now.
    And I'm not buying into a typo....it would have been caught on the first or second cab tested on the line.
    Don't dismiss agedhorse's comments. If you or the manufacturer don't think a product is feasible to counterfeit then the Chinese are already at it.
    You won't know if this cab is real or not without looking inside but I wouldn't bother. There's lots of those out there with the correct spelling.

Rezdog, DJ Bebop and agedhorse like this.