1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Bass cabinet on a budget - recommendations?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Sharky1450, Nov 24, 2019.

1. Sharky1450

Sharky1450

Apr 6, 2011
    Hi everyone,

I’m having to get myself a bass cabinet in a short time frame - I recently joined a 4 piece band (with a drummer who has a tendency to break sticks).

I’ve got an Ampeg SVT 7 Pro, and I used to have an Ashdown MAG 410t before I moved overseas. Really liked the sound I got from it, too.

Ideally my budget would be around $500AUD used.

These are some of the cabs I’m looking at:

Genz Benz xb3 410 - $550
    TC Electronic K210 (400W @ 8ohms) - $500
    TC Electronic BC212 (250W @ 8ohms) -$280

I’m currently leaning towards the BC212, due to it being so close to Xmas etc, but I’ve got some potential misgivings about it - mainly being that my SVT 7 Pro runs 600W @ 8ohms. I’ve been reading up on overpowering cabs, but would appreciate any advice with it. Are the other cabs listed worth the extra money?

Cheers!

2. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    Chillin' n Grillin' on the Best Coast
    Song Surgeon slow downer.
    What's the income potential of the band?

With a drummer that breaks sticks, seems like they're too loud to really get a lot of gigs. That means volume wars. Not a good thing.

I would be looking seriously at the Genz Benz. 4 speakers means moving more air which means more volume. Plus the cab is rated at 700 RMS @ 4 ohms. Add a HPF and tilt it back or put it up on a stand and you'll be good.

Bassdirty, smogg, BurnOut and 8 others like this.
  3. Wisebass

Wisebass

Jan 12, 2017
    Lost in Space
    Hi Sharky :)

Two guitars? and a heavy hitter?

You will need to push some air! :D

Like https://www.talkbass.com/members/stumbo.110359/ said, from your list

the 410 cab is the weapon of choice here!

Be careful with your master volume! :D Always!

greetings

Wise(b)ass

4. garp

garp

Feb 7, 2009
    Connecticut USA
    If you end up frying the BC212 on your first gig, I guarantee that either of the other cabs will be worth the extra money! I'm with @Stumbo and @Wisebass here: Get something that's better suited to your situation.

DJ Bebop and Wisebass like this.
  5. Matty Koff

Matty Koff

Aug 21, 2014
    Tennessee
    Might not be as easy to find in your neck of the woods but, used Avatar cabinets can be had inexpensively. My 4 ohm Avatar b410 cost me less than some of the pedals on my board. I haven't been cab shopping since.

6. FunkHead

FunkHead Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2007
    +1 for Avatar!
    Budget = Avatar!
    No Budget = Barefaced!

StyleOverShow and bassinflorida like this.
  7. el murdoque

el murdoque

Mar 10, 2013
    Germany
    Used Peavey cabs are widespread and cheap. $500 could net you an 810 stack, which'll put you on the safe side.

When those cabs listed are the only options, I'd go for the 410, simply because it's the biggest.
    The 212 might barely make it - but only when you play a 4 string in standard E and don't mind honky mids and a slim bottom end.

Iristone likes this.
  8. I'd second the Peavey cabs if your on a budget. Particularly if you can snag the early 2000 USA pro-series. They don't go for much more than the lower end tx/tvx and headliner series and can take a real beating. But unfortunately not so common due high original price point.... With 2 guitar and a lumberjack behind the kit you will have to go for the 410.....IMO

9. FunkHead

FunkHead Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2007
    FWIW, I would agree with Peavey except Avatar stuff is lighter. Especially the Neo-Loaded cabinets.
    My Avatar B210 is like 38 Pounds and I have been beating the crap out of it for 12 +/- years. It keeps up with loud drummers all by itself but I have a Bareface 2x12 for outdoor/Loud gigs.
    Amazingly it still looks almost new.

10. If you're not concerned about the weight of it there are very good older 410's for sale cheap. Like $100 or less. There is an SWR Goliath in the classifieds here for $75. That cab was about a thousand bucks new. It's in Colorado.

Bassdirty, Liam Wald and baddarryl like this.
  11. Bent77

Bent77 Supporting Member

Mar 6, 2013
    Colorado
    Looks like Mr Shark is in Australia

Of the choices listed, I'd get the Genz

12. DrThumpenstein

DrThumpenstein Supporting Member

Feb 8, 2015
    St Louis, MO
    None
    Is there a decent used market in your area? Best deals to be had there. Take your amp and audition it to make sure it sounds good and hasn't been abused, if at all possible.

I've had limited but good luck with the TB classifieds, but I can imagine shipping could eat up a lot of your budget for a cab.

I love my GK 212 with neos and it has kept up with 2 guitars, keys, and a loud drummer without breaking a sweat, but a much higher power handling capability than the TC you mentioned. I'd stay away from that one based on your needs.

The 410 is the pick of the litter as far as the cabs you mention.

13. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    The 410 6 days a week amd twice on Sundays. It'll move more air. Never mind that GB made great stuff anyway.

Put an HPF in front of the rig to chop off some sub lows and you should be able to get stupid loud with that head and cab.

Bassdirty and Wisebass like this.
  14. nilorius

nilorius

Oct 27, 2016
    Riga - Latvia
    Check out Hartke combinations.

15. Balog

Balog

Mar 19, 2009
    Mukilteo, WA
    Budget + high volume requirements = whatever is cheap on your local used market. At least in the US plenty of old boat anchors are on sale for next to nothing.

bassfran likes this.
  16. Bent77

Bent77 Supporting Member

Mar 6, 2013
    Colorado
    I've found some really great stuff on facebook marketplace

17. You can find an older SWR Goliath 4x10 for $100 - $150.
    A little on the heavy side but really great cabs.

18. seamonkey

seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
    There's a level of irony here that because the drummer plays hard enough to break sticks, that you need to budget out a cab loud enough to compete. Maybe the drummer could pay for the difference in cost to get a cab loud enough to play with him/her.

Omega Monkey, Iristone and matante like this.
  19. Again, remember he's in Australia.
    He is working with what is there and maybe New Zealand if he wants to ship.

Omega Monkey and Bent77 like this.
  20. bherman

bherman Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2009
    Grand Junction, CO
    Genz Benz all day long and twice on Sunday. The other cabs are not even in the same league. Its probably a heavy mother, but you'd need two of the other cabs to keep up with the Benz (and Igor the drummer).

Bassdirty, okcrum, smogg and 3 others like this.