1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Bass Cabinet with 15 Recommendations

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by basscat35, Jun 3, 2014.

1. basscat35

basscat35

Mar 15, 2005
    nutley.nj
    I always liked 15s for electric bass and I own a Carvin but it can sound boomy at times. Can anyone recommend a 15 cab that`s rated at 300 watts or more, somewhat portable for around $500? I think my perfect cab wouldn`t be so deep dimension-wise so the upper mids would be present and the lows would be more defined. Thanks in advance-----

2. High Camp

High Camp

Oct 3, 2013
    Netherlands
    Wat about an Ampeg PF115HE?
    It's sealed, nice voicing IMHO and affordable.
    Not too big and not heavy at all.

3. jeff7bass

jeff7bass

Apr 9, 2009
    If a ported 15", 2-way cab sounds boomy to you, you might want to consider a sealed 15", 2-way or even a 3-way like the Avatar TB153. The TB153 is quite affordable for a powerful, clear sounding 3-way cab. Lots of great options available, like 4 or 8 ohms especially.
    www.avatarspeakers.com

4. samson3382

samson3382

Apr 26, 2009
    Boise, Idaho
    image. image. In 01, I bought a used SWR working mans 15 at GC for $169. Used and abused it. Around 08, I bought an eminence kappa lite 3015 driver for it for $169, or $179,(before they went up in price, I think they're over $200 now). It's gone through two sets of casters, a bunch of the carpet is missing from my cat, I've replaced the handles, and more.
    It's still my main cab for the time being, I've never gotten so much use and been so happy with such a cheap peice of gear.

matthewbrown likes this.
  5. Foz

Foz

Jul 26, 2008
    Jax FL USA
    CL400Peavey likes this.
  6. I own a GK Neo 1x15 and a GK 1001rb head. If portability is important to you, I'd recommend a GK Neo 1x15. It's extremely light and it sounds great if you're into a Flea-like sort of tone. It has great mids and highs but if your a bass player that prefers zero treble, this isn't the speaker for you. I play reggae on occasion and for that I like to turn the bass all the way up and the treble down for a rounder,bassyer tone. The cab does well enough for that but I wouldn't recommend it if you're looking for an awesome low end. As for the volume it does well for band practice and has enough power for small to medium sized venues. I'm going to get another Neo 1x15 for the extra power but I'm sure a single 1x15 would do just fine for most people.

7. Used Markbass NY151 .

8. telecopy

telecopy

Dec 6, 2009
    USA
    I have two Bag End S15-B cabs. I don't think they are boomy. Maybe you need one or two of them. S15-B is the oiled finish birch. More expensive and fancy looking. S15-D is covered with dark maroon carpet. They get nearly unanimous good comments around here. Some find them to be lacking in lows, but they sure sound good to me. Especially two. You can get them with or without the coaxial tweeter.
    They are not neo, so they are about 50 pounds apiece. But they are about 18" tall and wide, 15" deep. So they are pretty compact. Good handles too.

9. telecopy

telecopy

Dec 6, 2009
    USA
    So, OP, what did you decide on? Consider the Bag Ends. They seem to fit your intentions.

10. svtb15

svtb15 Banned

Mar 22, 2004
    Austin,TX - McKinney,TX - NY,NY, - Nashville,TN
    I play it all. Whatever works for the gig. Q+
    You want tight and punchy. Xsonics 1155TF..... Its gonna be more than $500 though

11. Used Mesa Diesel 215.

catgut and CL400Peavey like this.
  12. Genz Benz xb2, classic tone.

13. matthewbrown

matthewbrown Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2003
    Harwich, MA, USA
    This. I've got an old SWR 2X10 that's a workhorse and sounds great. These are very well-built, well-designed cabs, and they are available used at good prices.