1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Bass Cabs for PA subs

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by Laserman, Apr 11, 2009.

1. Guys,

How would Bass cabs work as PA subs? After buying 2 power amps, new Mixer, new Mains, effects ect ect I need to wait awhile before I buy some subs for my PA. I've already spent a good amount of Dough and need to hold off a little while. I have Carvin 1-15 cab with a Peavey Low Rider 15 inch Sub speaker in it and a Carvin 500 watt 4-10 bass cab that I'm not using on my bass rig. Would they do a decent enough job for the shorterm until I can get some decent subs?

2. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    remote mountain cabin Montana
    greenboy designs: fEARful, bassic, dually, crazy88 etc
    Depends on which Peavey driver is in that Carvin cab. With the right driver in a RL or BR115 it'll make a great sub. the 410, not so much. Expect blown drivers if you try to hammer much. Bass cabs in general do not hold up to real subwoofer duty.

3. GregShadoan

GregShadoan

Sep 1, 2008
    Oregon
    +1. It also would depend on the program matieral. If it is an easy listening band, you might get away with it for awhile, but expect to blow them up soon. Also, I recommend same type cabs, boxes/drivers, for subs. There will be difference's in the two type you have mentioned, that would IME sound funny.
    Better to rent a pair.

4. Nick Kay

Nick Kay

Jul 26, 2007
    Toronto, Ontario
    The Carvin box with the Low Rider in it will probably do admirably, assuming the box is tuned for the Low Rider, not the original driver. The 4x10 probably wouldn't be able to handle a big, hefty kick or sub-heavy synths, but for a "less bumpin" sound, you could probably get by using a 4x10 for midbass upward. Don't mix and match your subs if you can help it.

5. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    remote mountain cabin Montana
    greenboy designs: fEARful, bassic, dually, crazy88 etc
    As I recall the Low Rider (no longer have it in my driver database) works just fine in that box with its tuning as it is. It's a good subwoofer trancducer with 9.6 mm xmax. But since subs are handling kick drum especially, whose main content is right in the region the 410 cab runs out of useful excursion in pretty early, that cab will never work especially well even if it was mixed with another of its kind.

6. That's Pretty much what I was expecting to hear. I would think the Peavey Low Rider sub 15 in the carvin cab would do a fair job for awhile but the 4-10 would struggle a bit. Maybe I'll just run the one cab . The next few gigs are big shows where there will be a sound company providing sound for us and I won't have to provide my PA system. Maybe by then I'll get some subs or I'll just run the 1 15 cavin cab with the Lowrider sub speaker in it and work a bit with the Crossover. My main cabs are 2-15s 700 watt RMS and a horn and can take a bit of the bass . I'll just have to be careful.

Thanks

7. Marley's Ghost

Marley's Ghost Gold Supporting Member

Feb 9, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    My last band used 2 Carvin BR118N's. Worked very well as subs.