Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bass cases

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Bassnovice, Jun 8, 2005.

1. Bassnovice

Bassnovice

May 4, 2005
  2. daofktr

daofktr irritating, yet surly

Feb 15, 2005
    aurora, IN
    hey, novice!
    first of all, a lot of good info can be found using the 'search' function...not trying to be a butt here, but it can give you a lot of good leads to what yer trying to accomplish.
    try 'hard cases' in the search.

now, that being said, i use kaces III gig bags for banging around town, and when i fly, especially with my conklin GT-7, i have an
    SKB SKB-44RW ATA Electric Bass Roller Case, which my gigbagged bass fits into. indestructible, as long as i make sure the bass is well padded inside the gig bag.

i would love a hard case, but noone makes them for the conk, to my knowledge. conklin's offering is styrofoam inside of nylon...not quite what i had in mind.

maybe some of the custom makers could make something, but i don't have that kind of scratch right now.

as far as i know (to finally answer yer question), there are gig bags...softies...and hard cases. there are also flight cases, which are much tougher and more protective.

3. Bassnovice

Bassnovice

May 4, 2005
    Thanks and I have already searched for this but you didnt quite answer my question. Did you check the 2 images because thats what im trying to find out, what they're called.

4. Transverz

Transverz believer of the Low End Theory

May 3, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    I thought he answered your question pretty good.

Oh, and when you do a search, don't just use the box that opens up. Click on ADVANCED SEARCH. Then type in "hard cases". You'll be surprised how much info there is!

Anywho, the first case that appears in your picture is just what is called a regular "hard case". No fancy name. Just a hard case that probably has latches and possibly a lock. The second picture link is more of a molded hard case. Those are usually specific to the type of bass you have. And that particular one is for an Epiphone guitar/bass. That answer your question?

I'm feeling extra helpful, so here is the search for "hard cases" under "advanced search". You'll find about a couple hundred threads that may or may not be what you are looking for:

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/search.php?searchid=1112752

Good luck!

-T

5. Bassnovice

Bassnovice

May 4, 2005
    Thanks sorry about that my search has just a normal one.

6. I have a quick question about cases. I'm not going to start a debate about gigbag vs. hard case but here we go anyway. If I bought a $100 gigbag and a $100 hard case, which would be better? I figure that if I get a $100 case (decent quality) it would get the job done but a $100 gigbag(Very good quality) would be better. Am I wrong in assuming this?

7. I think it all comes down to what works best for you. There are $100 hard cases that will more than get the job done. I personally prefer and use a gigbag (which ran me about $100), but that's because it carries a tuner, two instrument cables, a power cable, my strap, my bass (duh), and has a handle which I can hook my instrument stand to. With this one specific gigbag, I can easily carry everything (except for an amp) that I need. Just get what works for you, I think.

Also, what I do could probably be done with a $30 gigbag, but I just got the nicest gigbag I could get locally and have been very pleased with it. It has almost 1.5" of padding! I do think that, in most cases, the more you pay for a gigbag, the better construction, padding, and protection you get.

8. AcousticBass

AcousticBass

May 28, 2005
  9. Transverz

Transverz believer of the Low End Theory

May 3, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    True, soft cases and hard cases have their places. For some, a hard case is just too much bulk to carry around and it's nice to carry it on your back, as you can do with most soft cases.

But for my situation, and my bandmates, a hardcase is pretty much mandatory. We gig often, going into and out of vehicles, stored backstage with lots of other gear, piled up in a corner somewhere, some out of state flight situations, etc. A softcase would have led to the destruction of my bass long, long ago. If you have other stuff to bring as I do (strap, stand, spare cables, tools, etc), I bring along a dedicated small duffle bag that I keep with me that also contains my personal stuff.

I'm biased for a hardcase so take my advice accordingly, but a hardcase has always come through for me when it comes to physically protecting my bass investment.

-T

10. grooveguru

grooveguru

Sep 14, 2000
    Central PA
    Protec Hard/Soft case will fit the bill