Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bass Chords?

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Mob, Feb 20, 2005.

1. Mob

Mob

Jan 12, 2005
    Waht are some bass choards with standard tuning EADG?
    If anyone knows any post them or a site thanks

2. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    Definitely check out Les Claypool. He's a maniac, and most of his chords are just 4ths. He does flamenco style (banjo-like.)

Check out the album Frizzle Fry and MXtabs for music.

3. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    I'll throw in my two-cents on bass chords too. :)

Do not use them often, and when you do, 5ths, 4ths, and thirds seem to be the best.

For example, playing a low open B and a low F# would sound terrible, so play that at least up an octave. Minor thirds can really make a song sound good, major thirds are pretty common too. When playing 4ths, play down a 4th. For example: C# on the G-string, and G# on the D-string sounds good (movable pattern.)

I'm done rambling. :hyper:

4. DaveBeny

DaveBeny

Mar 22, 2000
    London, UK
    You need to pick up a copy of the book 'Chord Bassics' by Jonas Hellborg: $5.95 from sheetmusicplus.com - a little book filled solely with diagrams of how to finger every type of chord you could want on a 4-string bass.

5. Chords, triads and double stops do not sound good on the lower registers because the fundimental frequencies of the notes are too close together and instead of the ear hearing a nice "chorusing" effect for those tiny tuning inconsistencies, the ear hears it as "mud". YIK! Unpleasant!

Octaves are good at any note as they fill up the notes, and 3rds and 5ths also work well. You can get away with more complex chords up the neck.

But on the B and E strings near the nut, keep it simple.

Use your ear. You'll soon discover what sounds good or not.

6. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    Clinician: EA, Zon, Boomerang, TI. Author "The Art of Solo Bass"
    isn't there someone right here, on TB, who wrote a book about? Somebody refresh my memory

7. RichSnyder

RichSnyder Always groove.... Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Columbia, Md
    Yeah, I think his last name starts with a "D"...

8. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    here are some lessons

http://www.michaeldimin.com/lessons.htm

check out the ones entitled "Chord Study ..."

Also check out the lessons on bassically.net that you can get from that page.

If they work for you, I think I can find that guy whose name starts with "D"

mike Dimin

9. RichSnyder

RichSnyder Always groove.... Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Columbia, Md
    Just placed an order. Meant to do that a long time ago, but never got around to it.

10. Kelly Coyle

Kelly Coyle Supporting Member

Nov 16, 2004
    Mankato, MN
    I can vouch for that "D" person's book. He really opens up some possibilities -- you can do a lot more than you think chording on a bass.

11. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    You are a good man (it will ship tomorrow)

Mike

12. Chords are nice on the bass, just mainly in the upper regimen (D and G strings, sometimes A if the note on this string is the bottom of a chord). Flea uses a very nice sounding , yet simple chord progression on Don't Forget Me. Stanley Clarke busts out some chords on School Days. Les Claypool plays some chords on a few songs. Even the semi-hated Mark Hoppus uses chords on Carousel. Also, when I say chords, its mainly "half" chords, like power chords...three+notes of a chord sounds really muddy most of the time on bass.

13. Personally I like root+seventh+third (in order of pitch, from lowest to highest) voicings. Practice this chord progression excerpt and you'll see what I mean:

G|---15----15----14---14----
    D|---15----14----14---12----
    A|---------15---------13----
    E|---15----------13---------

14. Perfect-Tommy

Perfect-Tommy

Mar 28, 2004
    Ohio
    I sometimes do a little root-third-octave thing sometimes. I like to do a rhythm thing where I slap the root, and then strum the others with the top of my fingers using my nails. Maybe if I can record a sample, I might post it later, but here is the tab for it...

G|------14------14
    D|------11------11
    A|---12---12-12---
    E|-----------------

I think I pretty much saw something *like* this in a Les Claypool interview and pretty much snagged it.

Also, if you're having someone play over top of your chords, don't forget the ever quality absent root-fifth-octave

G|---14--14--12----
    D|---14--14--12--12
    A|---12--12--10--12
    E|----------------10

or something of that nature. These are pretty generic and are pretty much "We need the bass to make as much noise to fill out sound here..." type of things I have picked up.

Then I also using a guitar-like finger style on a bass and vocal arrangment of "Tiny Dancer" by Elton John, but I take a lot of liberties with that one :p

15. Thanks for the link ! I think i'll have to order your book. Muchas gracias :hyper: