1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Bass Chords

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by melodiaopus, Aug 6, 2012.

1. melodiaopus

melodiaopus Supporting Member

Feb 9, 2007
    Austin, TX
    I have been playing around with some bass chords lately and I have come to a stopping point in my bass chord knowledge. I have been stuck on basically Minor 7 chords, Major 7th chords. For example Ami7 I play Root, 7, 3, Fret 5 on E-String, Fret 5 on D-String, Fret 5 on G-string.

What I'm looking for is some other chord types like E/G Chords, Mi7b5 chords, 9 chords. I'm not sure if there is a book that has these chords spelled out on a fretboard, but I'm a little lost at how to voice these types of chords that will sound good. Mostly Jazz types voicing is what I'm looking for. I know the classic Minor 7th Chors and Major 7th chords, i.e. the voicing I use for all Minor 7th chords as aforementioned above. And also the Maj7 and Dom7 chords voicings I use are as follows:

AMaj7: R-7-3
    Frets: 5 On E-String, 6 on D-String, 6 on G-String

A7: R-7-3
    Frets: 5 on E-String, 5 on D-String, 6 on G-String

Possibly there are other voicing I could use on a 4-string that wll sound jazzier. But I am I looking for good voicings of the other chords types as well. Examples: Any Maj7 with b9 or #9 voicing, G/B, E/G#, C/E, F Aug

Or any other jazz types bass chords for a 4 string bass.

-Adam

Any help would be awesome!

2. Look for *Chord Bassics* by Jonas Hellborg, a great source of info on this

3. mbeall

mbeall

Jun 25, 2003
    Get the Todd Johnson book "Fishin' for Grips". It teaches how to construct basic 3 notes chords from the top down instead of bottom up and is one of the simplest and most comprehensive approaches I've seen. I almost felt cheated when I first ordered the book as the amount of material is not large, until I started working at it. It is simple in concept, takes very little time to apply but years of work to master as it is effectively an entire new vocabulary on bass assuming you do not already play jazz guitar.

Mike