Bass Collection SB301

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by madfiddler, Feb 20, 2005.

1. Anyone know any good websites where I can find info on Bass Collection basses?

I have a 4-string passive SB301 which I hardly play, it was the first bass I owned (as opposed to borrowed!)

I'm not particularly sentimentally attached to it and was thiking of selling it, but was wanting to find out a bit more about it.

It has a logo on the front that says "Bass Collection SB301 by Marina"....there's nothing unique about it as far as I can see though. gotoh tuners (2 a side), deep red colour (painted neck), rosewood fingerboard, black hardware, EMG P/J pickups...sounds good for a passive bass, plays very easily/smoothly and is extremely light, but don't know what the body is made of....

any info that anyone could help me with would be appreciated.
  2. believe it or not I've already googled but not really turned anything up, hence my post here!
  3. pointbass

pointbass Semi-Retired Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Endorsing Artist: FBB Bass Works
    Google "SGC Nanyo Bass Collection", the Bass Collection basses were made by the Sexton Guitar Company in Japan up through 1990-1991 ..... SGC Nanyo is out of business.

I have an SB310 (active)
  4. hmmm.....can't see any indication its SGC Nanyo actually on the bass, but I'll take your word for it as I've got nothing else to go on right now!

wen I googled as you suggested I found people saying that your SB310 is pretty rare....I doubt that's the case for my SB301 (which is basically the passive version of your bass).

I was also interested in the "by Marina" bit as I hadn't come across this before.

Is your SB310 solid painted ot transluscent? It looks vainly "grainy" although the photo is small...

5. I have a 5 string active BassCollection sb465.

INformation on these is scarce at the best, since the company never really had any kind of online website.

There is a portuguese site from a local dealer that has a little info on it:

Neck: 1 part Maple
    Fretboard: Pau santo (24 Frets)
    Body: Alder
    Pickup: SGC PJ
    Active Circuit: CQ95
    Hardware: Black (GOTOH)
    Colors: Black, blue and red
  6. pointbass

Nov 4, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    The SB310 is apparently not as common as the 301. Do you have the SGC pups (SGC stamped on the pu cover)? From the very little info available, I believe Marino distributed the Bass Collection basses through the mid-'80's.

The bass is translucent, actually a really nice cherry color, nice grain in the wood, although I'm not certain what type of wood it is. The color continues on the neck and head.

It's a very light bass, plays beautifully, excellent bright sound, but it's way too small in body mass for me. Unfortunately, it doesn't carry a lot of value for re-sale .... I've been looking to off-load it for a while now, but there is very little interest.
  7. you know, now I come to think about it I said EMG pups didn't I.....they may well be SGC, I'll have to double check (not home right now)

Maybe it is "by Marino" and not "by Marina" - that woudl make sense - its sort of written in a script type so I could have misread it I guess. That would make sense.

The lightness of the bass is the best thing imho from a playability point of view if not a sound one

...I can;t figure out the body wood - its way too light for even alder.....wouldn't suprise me if its boxwood or something similar......I think other light woods would make it more expensive than it probably is :eyebrow:
  8. OKay this is what comes of having a bass packed away and not playing it! Sad isn't it....I really should sell it to someone who's going to play it! very faintly on the jazz pickup I can see it says SGC

its "by Marina" and its a lot more "grainy" than I thought, sort of semi-transluscent

here's some pics
  9. teacherguy

Feb 21, 2004
    Cincinnati, OH
    That looks identical to the one I owned years ago.
    Loved the playability and the sound but I kept having neck problems even with the replacement neck the dealer installed.

10. well I've never had a problem with it, neck or otherwise - very reliable. Used to throw it in the back of the car as a backup at gigs but now its been relagated even further as it has too stiff a competition from my own self built bass and a nice mia p-bass deluxe 5 stringer
  11. OK, I know this is an average bass at best, but is there anyone out there that can help me find any info on this and to help me put a value on it?

cheers then
  12. pointbass

Nov 4, 2004
    Acworth, GA
  13. thansk for pointing that thread out I would have totally missed it!

your investagative skills are obviously better than mine.....I think your're right about the body being swamp ash - it fits the strong mid-toppy sound produced, the grain looks about right and as everyone says they're pretty light....
  14. if you look closer at the rondo pics
    it even says bass collection on the control cavity cover