1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Bass Compression/some punch (maybe volume pedal?)

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by freds521, Oct 3, 2008.

1. freds521

freds521

Oct 3, 2008
    I'm new to the effect world of bass. I've always tried to avoid using them... it's never been an issue except now I'm trying to add some punch during a live set for some songs.. I'm not going for distortion, just a little punch to cut through. I've tried some compression and it got somewhat where i need to be. Any suggestions? Thank you

Fred

2. bongomania

bongomania Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Which compressors have you tried? Check the FAQ linked in my sig for some thoughts on the subject. A volume pedal is def. not what you want. However if you are using passive basses, or low-output basses, you may find that a preamp pedal can give you a ton more presence and punch. I use the Radial PB-1 for this purpose. You may also find that a different EQ than you're used to will do the trick. A push in the high mids, less in the lows, will have you cutting through like nobody's business.

3. For punch I might boost some of your low mids, cut some of your lows, see if that helps.

4. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    A decent compressor is exactly what you need. Bongo's compressor overview is the right place to start (I have it in my "Favorites"). Just a suggestion: you can buy a lot of compressor for relatively little loot if you know what you're looking for.

Riis

5. Low Key

Low Key Supporting Member

Feb 2, 2007
    Chicago
    +1

Try to adjust your technique, EQ, etc. before you rely on compressors. Certainly they can help, but punching through a mix is normally going to be a combination of factors. Midrange helps tremedously. I also find - in general - that emphasizing the bridge pickup over the neck pickup increases articulation and cut (assuming you have two pickups). Good luck!

6. freds521

freds521

Oct 3, 2008
    Thanks for you're help im thinking of getting a sansamp di preamp... seems pretty versatile... any thoughts ont the sound?

7. bongomania

bongomania Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Dude, this forum is weighted down with hundreds (if not thousands) of posts about the Sansamp line.

8. dannybuoy

dannybuoy

Aug 3, 2005
    England
    I'd say the sansamp might colour your tone too much, but if you like the aggressive grindy scooped mid sound you'll dig it. It's also useful for sending an amp-like signal to the PA. But if you're happy with your basic bass+amp sound, go for a compressor, and maybe a subtle yet fat preamp like the Electronix Submarine or Barber Linden EQ.

9. Hugh G Wrekshin

Hugh G Wrekshin

Sep 14, 2008
    Personally i like the Sansamp RPM. The "Mid shift" knob it has is perfect for cutting through the mix.