1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

bass for acoustic portion of live set

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by theophilus762, Apr 22, 2010.

1. theophilus762

theophilus762 Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2006
    Durham, NC
    Whats up guys?

So during the middle of our set, my band does a more chill, laid back acoustic set. The rest of our set is usually really loud with tons of energy, distorted guitars, and drums, so the acoustic part gives us and the crowd a time to catch our breaths. During this part of the set, our electric players switch to acoustic guitars, our keyboardist lays off the synths and stays on a grand piano setting, and our drummer is planning on picking up a djembe or a cajon.

(check out the teaser for our upcoming EP: www.brightworkband.com)

I know a lot of other bands do this, so I was wondering if some of you guys play a different bass during this time, and if so, what do you use?

I currently play through an 08 Fender Jazz V, into a Genz Benz Shuttlemax 12.0, into two Epifani UL410's. I'm thinking about picking up an acoustic bass, or a fretless, or an acoustic fretless. I play 5 string almost exclusively also.

Maybe the Victor Bailey 5? Maybe a fretless hollowbody? An electric upright would be really cool too, like the NS Design WAV 4, or the Dean Pace. Any experience with a Palatino VE-500?

What do you guys think? Any suggestions?

Thanks! :cool:

2. itsalljustaride

itsalljustaride

Sep 23, 2009
    This sounds like a job for a Rob Allen Mouse! lol.

3. 1954bassman

1954bassman

Jun 7, 2004
    Hickory, NC
    I have owned at least 15 acoustic bass guitars (ABG). I one I own now (bought in a deal to get a different bass) is an epiphone El Capitan five string fretless with GHS black tapewounds. I use the XLR out and the factory electronics. It is by far the best sounding (plugged in) ABG I have ever owned. I play it direct tough, as it has a tendency to feedback if playing load through an amp.

It is a completely different beast than playing an electric fretless.

Mark

4. nostatic

nostatic Supporting Member

Jun 18, 2004
    lost angeles, CA
    Endorsing Artist: FEA Labs
    any RA would kill

5. theophilus762

Nov 4, 2006
    Durham, NC
    Man, they look incredible and i'm sure they play just as well, but I really need something sub $1k!

6. ajn

ajn

Sep 3, 2007
    SF Bay Area
    I have both an Rob Allen MB-2 and a Godin A4. The RA is certainly a better bass, but soundwise, the Godin will get you most of the way there at a fraction of the cost. And it has none of the feedback issues you get with an ABG.

7. theophilus762

Nov 4, 2006
    Durham, NC
    Just realized Godin also makes an A5. Now that might be exactly what I'm looking for!

8. M.R. Ogle

M.R. Ogle Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 5, 2004
    Mount Vernon, Illinois
    Backstage Guitar Lab owner
    Dang,,, and still no sign of the Epiphone Zeniths.... I'm waiting....

9. ajn

ajn

Sep 3, 2007
    SF Bay Area
    If you like the neck on your Jazz 5, you will probably also like the neck on the A5. Godin's necks are very similar in shape and feel to the Jazz.

10. MrLenny1

MrLenny1

Jan 17, 2009
    N.H.
    I've got an Godin A4 fretted for sale.

11. FunkMetalBass

FunkMetalBass

Aug 5, 2005
    Phoenix, Arizona 85029
    Endorsing Artist: J.C. Basses
    No need for a new bass. Solo the neck pickup and play with a pick. I find the jazz has a very hollow neck sound.

12. theophilus762

Nov 4, 2006
    Durham, NC
    I agree, but I really am looking for a whole different tone, and would love to add a fretless to the stable!

sorry I'm looking for 5 stringers!

13. bassman1987

bassman1987

Dec 1, 2008
    Denver, CO
    Get a fretless P and palm-mute that sucker!

14. HeddieMurphy

HeddieMurphy

Mar 1, 2010
    +1 on the Godin A4s and A5s. I've been playing an A4 fretless for 2 years and have loved it all.

15. bassbenj

bassbenj

Aug 11, 2009
    What I do is use my semi-hollow body Carvin AC50 fretless. It's perfect. Plays like a dream. Sound hole "look" excllent for acoustic sets but nil feedback problems. Nylon wrapped strings play like butter.Tone can be very "percusive" [fits with djembe] due to piezo or you can stuff foam under the strings and get a very passable upright imitation. Low resale on Carvin means if you find a used one, you'll be in heaven! And NO, mine is not for sale!

16. One of these:

http://www.carvinguitars.com/customshop/aebasses.php

I own the 4 string version in fretless, and love it. It's thin body reduces the chance of feedback and makes it feel like an electric bass instead of one of those dreadnaught sized body types.

17. TheBasicBassist

TheBasicBassist

Jan 8, 2009
    Newark, DE
    Endorsing Artist: Rosado Guitars
    I do what FunkMetalBass suggested, minus the pick, though, I just play up near the neck to get a woodier tone. Perhaps try different strings? I use flats and love 'em. D'addarrio Chromes, to be precise.

18. lomo

lomo passionate hack Supporting Member

Apr 15, 2006
    Montreal

Our band does the same. I usually use an ABG with a Radial PZ Pre outboard preamp that has a notch filter specifically designed to kill feedback, but it costs 300 and there is a bit of a learning curve to using it well. I also have used a Synapse fretless during this set. A good option would be a semihollow like a Jack Cassady strung with tapewounds and possibly a mute.

19. richnota

richnota Gold Supporting Member

Jan 11, 2005
    Santa Cruz
    You could get a solidbody electric fretless but a solid body piezo would be perfect here. None of the feedback issues of a ABG and piezo basses do much more than the "upright sound"

Three classics:

Veillette minotaur custom, Turner Renaissance, Rob Allen Deep 5

piezopossetrio2.

20. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2006
    G.R. MI
    I usually play this one:

Bogdon 2 string Cardboard box bass. (I think they run around $100.00 at Bogdonmusic.com Lots of assembly required.)

IMG_3966.

Or this one:

Carvin AC50F