1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Bass Gear Good Enough?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jalapejoe, Jan 12, 2017.

Tags:
  1. MYLOWFREQ

MYLOWFREQ Supporting Member

May 13, 2011
    New York
    Looking at the pics, you'll be in the foh for sure, and there's nothing to worry about with what you have. Unless you're super far away from your amp, but then there's the monitors. Rock.

2. I think you're getting some good advice from your guitarist. Try it and see how it goes, you can always adjust after you've had the experience. But I don't think it will be necessary.

Al Kraft likes this.
  3. Good to go as long as you have a backup amp available for, well, just in case.
    Fishheadjoe

4. dgrizzly

dgrizzly Supporting Member

Apr 28, 2014
    Mile High USA
    As others mentioned, your amp will really just act as your own personal stage monitor. If they have you coming out of the FOH system, no one in the crowd will hear your cabs and most likely the rest of the band will only hear you from their monitors. Your rig isn't monstrous, but it certainly isn't wimpy either - it very well may be plenty. I would give it a shot and go from there. It took me about a year, but I found I can cover every gig with a Barefaced 212 (with FOH of course).

Last edited: Jan 13, 2017
  5. CyberSnyder

CyberSnyder Gold Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Maryland
    I Endorse Alien Audio Basses
    As long as you have a Fender P bass, you should be fine. ;-)

/\/\3phist0 likes this.
  6. KickingBass

KickingBass Look into it

Such a nice looking venue... They probably have parking and place to load in and a green room... drool

Oh! uh yeah your rig is more than enough with PA support.

And uh yeah, NO MIXING CABS! J/k:D

7. Another vote for "you have plenty of rig". Have fun!

8. Plutonium244

Plutonium244 Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2015
    Wisconsin
    Not. Nearly. Enough. Bass Riggage.

Just kidding, I am being contrary since everyone is agreeing here. You'll be fine.

The only thing I would potentially do differently is to eventually shuffle your gear so that you don't have to use mixed drivers when going loud. As someone suggested, maybe sell the 15 and get a 4x10 instead that can pair with your 2x10... or move the 2x10 and get a 2nd 15". But, a 2x10 and a 4x10 gives you a lot more options than 2 15's do. That's not a "enough or not enough" riggage issue-- volume wise you will have enough with those mixed cabs or not-- just a sound quality/preference issue.

jalapejoe likes this.
  9. thejacknut

thejacknut

Jan 13, 2017
    Minneapolis
    I've played a ton of Twin Cities gigs and they almost all have house support. You'll be fine.

jalapejoe likes this.
  10. thejacknut

thejacknut

Jan 13, 2017
    Minneapolis
    Not sure I understand why it would be louder to have uniform drivers than mixed. Wouldn't mixed drivers be more present in the sonic spectrum, giving the impression of more presence?

jalapejoe likes this.
  11. Plutonium244

Plutonium244 Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2015
    Wisconsin
    I think I phrased it ambiguously... it would not be louder when using matching cabs... what I mean is that when going louder e.g. when using more than one cab to obtain volume/output, it would IMO better better to use matching rather than non- matching cabs in that situation, for a better more reliable sound quality in that 2-cab siuation, not for more volume. Sorry that I was not very clear in my wording.

2 mixed cabs risk cancellation effects etc which is the reason I suggest this. In most cases there might not be a noticeable difference, but sometimes there could be depending on room conditions. Opnions on this vary however.

Also IMO mixed cabs would not create "greater presence" in the sonic spectrum but either have no relevant effect vs matching, which would be most of the time, or would have something of a negative effect or the reason cited above. Again just my opinion.

jalapejoe likes this.
  12. /\/\3phist0

/\/\3phist0 Life: It's sexually transmitted and always fatal Supporting Member

Don't open that can of worms !!!
    In short:
    The power (1/2 heads rated output) to the mutidriver cab is divided between the drivers. Whereas 1/2 the rated output is being delivered to the single driver cab.
    The single driver will reach its maxoutput long before the multi driver cab.
    Also more cone surface as a general rule moves more air (as a general rule)

Last edited: Jan 13, 2017
    thejacknut likes this.
  13. thejacknut

thejacknut

Jan 13, 2017
    Minneapolis
    I've used an SVT-410 HLF stacked on a SVT-15E for years, and (maybe because of the matched brand?) I've never had phase issues. In fact, from the moment I first added the 15 to my rig, my tone has only become bigger and gnarlier than ever. I remember, my band at the time had just finished having an album mastered right about the time I added the 15, and when I asked my guitarist what he thought of the new setup at rehearsal, his response was, "your live sound now sounds like it's been mastered"! LOL! Silly, but I get what he meant.

Plutonium244 and jalapejoe like this.
  14. monsterthompson

monsterthompson The Eighth Note Wonder Of The World Supporting Member

Nov 25, 2008
    Hollywood
    I used to do plenty of damage with a Mesa M6 (600w at 4 ohms) into an 8 ohm Mesa PH 115. I'd layer in a PH 212 for a "stack" which wasn't the best pairing, but it was stupid loud. You should be good.

jalapejoe and thejacknut like this.
  15. I've played many (many) gigs with a Phil Jones C8 (equivalent of a 2-10), without PA support. Also many with a 30W tube amp and a single 15. Your rig is probably overkill for most bar gigs.

2016-12-31 17.14.13. 2016-12-12 18.21.08.

jalapejoe likes this.
  16. thejacknut

thejacknut

Jan 13, 2017
    Minneapolis
    Depends on if it's a metal bar... ;)

jalapejoe likes this.
  17. I was actually considering buying the Ampeg PF410HLF to put under the 2x10.

sgtpepper and Plutonium244 like this.
  18. My main is a Neck thru Ernie ball stingray 5 string, backup is Fender Deluxe V.

19. CyberSnyder

CyberSnyder Gold Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Maryland
    I Endorse Alien Audio Basses
    We'll, I hope you at least have some tort.

jalapejoe likes this.
  20. Maple

Maple Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2016
    San Francisco Bay Area
    I gigged for a decade with just an SWR studio 220 and 2x10 cab. Played small bars to big venues. There were times where I wished I had another 100W of headroom but for the most part, it was fine. I feel spoiled now with a rig the same size but capable of 800W. The gain never goes above the quarter mark.

If you are loud enough to keep up with the drummer when he's acoustic, then you should be fine. If the drums get mic'd at a gig then the FOH should have a channel for you too.

thejacknut and jalapejoe like this.