1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Bass Gear Good Enough?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jalapejoe, Jan 12, 2017.

Tags:
  1. andruca

andruca

Mar 31, 2004
    Madrid (Spain)
    You've probably got more than needed. In such a venue I'd only use the 15 if it had a horn. I do 90% of the gigs I bring my amp to with a Peavey TNT150 (with an added piezo tweeter). If I foresee being standing too far away from my amp (I like bands setting up close together even in big stages -more on this below-, but that's not always possible) I bring a second TNT150 I enslave to the first. My head rack rarely leaves the practice space (only for gigs where somebody else shares his/her cabs) and my cabs haven't left the place in years.

I think the need for more or less amp capacity is more a question of how close the band sets up (and indirectly how close everybody is to their amps and how complex monitor mixes get as you stand further apart from your bandmates) than a matter of how big the venue is. If there's a PA (something that should happen on any >150ppl club) the band can have a really pleasant, tight sound experience and look good by standing close together (I much prefer to see/feel a band as the core of the stage than to see them spread apart, with wireless units you can still be able to fill the whole stage). And the benefical effect of it is also less volume needed. All this if you don't go crazy on the monitors. Then again, no need to ask for every single cowbell of the drums to show up in your monitor mix, start with the voices, exactly as you'd do at rehearsal, hearing the rest of the band from their instruments/amps. That's any band's most "familiar" scenario, and really works live.

This is some corporate party at a country club house a couple years ago with this very vocal punk group I have (in the vein of Me First & the Gimme Gimmes but covering old latin hits). Just as we did soundcheck that afternoon (on a small PA only for kick drum and vocals) neighbours started complaining so it was "as quiet as you can do it". So we did. The drummer loosened up and we dropped the volume in our amps and PA to a point where we could even chat while playing. Guess what? It sounded TIGHT and clear, nice for the customer, nice for the neighbours, nice for everybody's ears, everybody could hear everything precisely and we performed great. Not a big stage or venue, of course, but I've tried this playing for 30 and for 100 thousand people and it keeps proving effective.

I understand a loud PA usually plays tricks on your onstage sound, even if you're careful with onstage volume, but once again, the best thing to do to overcome that too is setting up your gear real close center (always better than standing 5m apart from the drummer you desperately need to hear -or your own amp for the case-). I'm all for it as the remedy for many forms of onstage sound chaos, AND it keeps you from hauling excess gear of which output gets mostly lost in the air.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2017
  2. chaosMK

chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    Sounds like you have a good set up.

jalapejoe likes this.
  3. pudgychef

pudgychef In Memoriam

Jan 22, 2005
    Chongqing, China
    You have nothing to worry about.

That's more rig than I have ever owned. I am not a pro like a bunch of guys on here, but have played many 100s of gigs from 30ppl in a little hole to 10k at a big outdoor rock festival and have never needed a rig that big..(of course I loved big rigs that were provided back line...but they were usually at around 9 o'clock volume wise as it was usually DI or mic to PA anyways)

Anything that couldn't be handled by 150-300w through a 15 or a 4x10 had PA or a backloline or both.
    Many folks have different experiences...

In fairness, I have rarely had to deal with guitarists playing through huge rigs at rehearsal....even in heavier bands they were fine with practicing on smaller tube combos

jalapejoe likes this.
  4. I play regularly through a 4 ohm Avatar B115 (minimax head) and it's plenty loud for our ten piece band; we do get PA support, and sometimes I used my SWR WorkingPro12 as a stage monitor. Funny, the combo at 46 lbs. is only three lbs. less than the Avatar neo cab!

jalapejoe likes this.
  5. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Trust me, that rig could last you your entire career. It's plenty loud for any kind of bar gig, with or without PA support.

Have fun!

jalapejoe, garp and GoLeafsGo like this.
  6. interp

interp Supporting Member

Apr 14, 2005
    Garmisch, Germany
    Your rig is fine. The only reason to use a 6x10 is if you don't want to schlep two cabs.

jalapejoe likes this.
  7. dbase

dbase Gold Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2008
    South Jersey, USA..
    Is that a Fender Super Reverb next to your rig? You need it to compete with that.. Those Fenders are loud.

jalapejoe likes this.
  8. TMARK

TMARK

Jan 10, 2012
    Richmond VA
    When I have PA support, which is 90% of the time, I go to the board through a REDDI and bring a GK MB112 for stage volume. Your rig will be fine.

jalapejoe and Al Kraft like this.
  9. /\/\3phist0

/\/\3phist0 Life: It's sexually transmitted and always fatal Supporting Member

Yes a 68 Fender super reverb.
    Yes loud. He plays entirely clean so volume is "reasonable". And they also have a volume knob.
    But yeah both of my little rigs are more than I need to carry a room. Most gigs we don't have foh support. We provide the PA. JBL prx 712 mains no sub. Kick, vocal and a bit of guitar . At the bigger venues where Foh is provided I just bring the 112 :) and run DI out of the Mesa D800.

jalapejoe likes this.
  10. Robert Sperling

Robert Sperling Crazybassman72

Jan 26, 2016
    Long Island, NY
    Should be more than enough with FOH support,......carry on!

jalapejoe likes this.
  11. MrLenny1

MrLenny1

Jan 17, 2009
    N.H.
    You're good to go.
    I play sports pubs with a 2x10 and no PA support.

jalapejoe likes this.
  12. Robert Sperling

Robert Sperling Crazybassman72

Jan 26, 2016
    Long Island, NY
    My rig for gigs with FOH support is a Markbass cmd151...the players school model...not the higher end
    Jeff Berlin model, and a Carvin MB115 if the stage is a bit bigger. No FOH gets a Carvin B2000 with
    2 4ohm Carvin 410's, and an Ampeg SVT7pro with a modified Fender Bassman VT15 (2x15) cab...if I
    feel like moving all of that.

jalapejoe likes this.
  13. Matt_784

Matt_784

Mar 21, 2016
    To be honest I think one cab should be enough. I use a hartke hydrive 410 combo for gigs and that thing is so loud Im always told to turn down.

jalapejoe likes this.
  14. MNAirHead

MNAirHead Supporting Member

I've played that room.

I used a 112 with a featherweight gk head.

"most" of the time a big amp screws with front of house...

15. el murdoque

el murdoque

Mar 10, 2013
    Germany
    Apart from gigs that i did with metal, hardcore or being young and stupid, i remember two occasions where I had my amp at the level i have it during rehearsal. One was a big stage open air with massive wind and the other was a tent where the walls would reflect anything except for bass and bassdrum. On the latter, we had to turn up the subs and the bassrig to have it audible in front where the people were dancing. The people all the way in the back were drowning in bass.
    Any other gig i played with less cabs than used in rehearsal or with the volume turned way down.

So as long as your rig is fine during rehearsal, you should be fine on stage.

16. one band that opened for mine several times bassist used one of those markbass 210 combos. playing metal with two guitarists. he was not thru the pa, sounded fine and could be heard.

i use a gk 1001rbII and a 410 personally. but obviously with the right cab and head it can be done. that being said i dont think the portaflexes get loud enough without sounding like garbage.

17. AngusHasMoxie

AngusHasMoxie

Mar 11, 2013
    Easthampton, MA
    Formerly endorsed by Carvin, Basson and Dimarzio
    That venue looks awesome. I hope that with all the lighting they invested in they also invested in a proper FOH.

If so, you're totally good. I would say your rig would cover most indoor places without PA support (unless you are in a super death metal band against two full stacks).

You might run into issues outdoors without PA support though.

18. Session1969

Session1969

Dec 2, 2010
    You'll be fine. Your rig will cover the stage volume and the P.A. will do the rest. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised. That club looks dope !

Al Kraft likes this.
  19. Nickweissmusic

Nickweissmusic Knows all intervals from one Fred, to Juan octave Commercial User

Jan 26, 2014
    San Diego, CA
    I teach lessons and perform live music in and around San Diego CA. Sometimes I even make money doing it!
    It's plenty, probably more than you need. I see a lot of advice against using different size cabs, I don't buy into that unless you actually hear something going wrong. You can experiment and aim cabs different directions, prop the 210 up so it aims at your ears, stack them, whatever, if it sounds good, that's all that matters. Sound trumps conventional wisdom every time. Two easy to manage cabinets is better than one beast any day, unless you have roadies to move them. If you are getting weird, uncontrollable volume dips and swells, then you have to look at aligning your speakers correctly, but if they're just used in rehearsals and as a near field stage monitor I doubt you'll encounter any issues. Every room is different though, so be ready to be flexible. 2 cabs is nice to spread your sound around, but you could easily get by with just one of those cabs If you're in a house system, especially if they'll give you a little in the monitors. I've not played the portaflex series but I did a rehearsal with a cheap BA210 combo and I'd be very comfortable with just that (as a stage monitor) for a typical sportsbar gig.

20. sgtpepper

sgtpepper

Jan 22, 2010
    Mexico City
    Sell the 1x15 and get a 4x10. In that scenario you will have the 6x10 configuration you want.