1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Bass Gear Good Enough?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jalapejoe, Jan 12, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Well I sold my American P-Bass to pay some bills replaced it with the Ernie Ball :( my only two axes currently.

20170112_135903_zpscrtonfvf.
    20170106_222746_zpskapckhqo.

Plutonium244 likes this.
  2. CyberSnyder

CyberSnyder Gold Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Maryland
    I Endorse Alien Audio Basses
    I guess the sunburst will suffice. Heh. Nice basses. I think you'll. Do okay. ;-)

jalapejoe likes this.
  3. My next bass will be a P-Bass though, I really miss it and love the tone.

4. Not per se, but I did use the PJB rig, with the addition of a C4 (total of 12 5" drivers) with Eric McFadden in a few different clubs that also have metal bands... ;)

thejacknut likes this.
  5. I do have another question! I am daisy chaining the cabs to run them both instead of each cab coming from the head, does that make a difference?

Joey

Plutonium244 and thejacknut like this.
  6. Nope. Same thing. They are wired up to work that way.

The only difference is that your speaker cable from the amp to the cabs will carry the whole current, whereas each cable will split the current when you hook them up to the head separately. Not really a big deal, though, if you have a good quality speakon cable. Bigger deal if you use 1/4" cables.

jalapejoe and Plutonium244 like this.
  7. thejacknut

thejacknut

Jan 13, 2017
    Minneapolis
    This has confused me, as well. Sometimes I think I've got it figured out, then the next time I consider it I can't remember what I landed on...

jalapejoe likes this.
  8. thejacknut

thejacknut

Jan 13, 2017
    Minneapolis
    So, the resistance is greater if you're running through the cabs vs. from separate outputs from the amp?

jalapejoe likes this.
  9. Plutonium244

Plutonium244 Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2015
    Wisconsin
    A lot of people have your same experience-- that is, no issues with using non-matching cabs. If you biamp the cabs with a crossover, there's no reason you ever should. And if you don't use a crossover, well, still, a lot of people have no issues and are totally fine with it.

Not that it matters if what you're using works for you, but have you tried just using 2 15's and see if it sounds bigger and gnarlier that way? Maybe it's the 15's, and not combining 15's and 10's, that give you the sound you really want; maybe two matched 15's would be gnarliest of all. Of course I don't know. Just a thought.

My personal preference is for matched cabs; IMO occasionally it made a difference. While many share my preference, also many share yours. To each their own. It's a legendary TB back-and-forth argument. I don't think there's any "right" answer besides what seems right to each individual. Like Duke Ellington said, if it sounds good, it IS good.

For me personally, I feel like my sound has been "mastered" when I run matching Barefaced drivers. I have both 10's and 12's but use one type or the other, not mixed, except on very rare occasions. I did run an SM and One10 together once. Seemed okay, hard to tell because it was a bad-sounding room.

If it works for you, then that's all there is to it. No need to change.

jalapejoe and thejacknut like this.
  10. Plutonium244

Plutonium244 Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2015
    Wisconsin
    Daisy chaining vs. using the two outs on the amp, resistance is the same either way (unless you have a true stereo amp like an Eden WT800 in which case you have less resistance daisy chaining than using two outs from the amp since each output is, in fact, a separate amplifier). It's just that when daisy-chaining, all the power passes through one cable as it leaves the amp, instead of across 2 wires. More demand on the wire. Not a big deal though, they can handle it (unless maybe you have some super crappy cable).

jalapejoe likes this.
  11. No, the impedance of the load (cabs) is the same regardless of how you hook them up. The difference is that if you use one cable to connect the amp to the first cab, then a second cable to connect the first cab to the second cab, that first cable from the amp to the cabs will carry all the current. If each cab has it's own cable from the amp, then the current is split between the 2 cables.

This only matters because the cable itself has it's own (very small) impedance. The more current you put through that cable, the higher the voltage drop across the cable, and the more power is dissipated in the cable, etc. By splitting it up to 2 cables, the voltage loss is reduced, etc. Again, it's really a bigger deal if you're using 1/4" connectors, which are rated for a measly 1A and have a relatively high impedance of their own. A 4-ohm load at 500W draws 11.2A. With 11.2A, a 250milliohm cable will drop 2.8V. That same current split between 2 identical cables will only drop 0.7V.

Might not seem like a big deal, but why not do it right?

12. Real Soon

Real Soon

Aug 15, 2013
    Atlanta, GA
    As a guy who's done gigs with PA support on a 140W head thru a 2x10 and also done a medium venue with 400W thru two 2x10s with NO PA support (and no problems), I personally doubt you'll have any trouble with that rig anywhere that we have any business going.

Playing to 30,000 people in the swamp running off generator & no PA? No one has any business doing that. Playing on one side of the Grand Canyon to an audience on the other side, & no PA? No one has any business doing that either. Doing the SuperBowl with no PA? Well, 800W will at least get the mids to carry pretty far. (Or: No one has any business doing that.)

jalapejoe likes this.