1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Bass gig bag question

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by pingvuiini@yaho, May 6, 2010.

1. pingvuiini@yaho

pingvuiini@yaho Guest

Jan 31, 2009
    Los Angeles
    I am thinking of getting a Reunion Blues gig bag that can hold two basses so I just have to carry one gig bag instead of two hardcases. However the two basses I want to carry in the gig bag both have bent headstock joints as opposed to the straight type headstocks of a P or J Bass. Is it a bad idea to put two such basses together in a gig bag as it might put undue stress or perhaps even break the joint(s)?? Any advice appreciated.

2. VTheHTyphoon

VTheHTyphoon

May 4, 2010
    I didn't know RB made a gig bag for 2 basses. I have the continental bass gig bag and it is a dream. If the double bag is anything like that, then don't worry about the tilt because it might have the neck support block sewn into the material.

3. elgecko

elgecko

Apr 30, 2007
    Anasleim, CA
    Do you mean "tilted" as in no string tree/retainer?

If so, I've been carrying "tilted" headstock basses, facing away from each other, in my Reunion Blues double bag for over 15 years with no problems.

4. Basseroni

Basseroni

Oct 17, 2006
    Southern California
    Endorsing Artist: Aguilar Amplification, Dunlop/MXR
    Check out iGig cases. They may or may not be much difference in price from Mono but think of it like this...how important are your basses to you? Get the best protection possible even if you have to stretch your budget a little.

www.flyigig.com

5. mr.mow

mr.mow

Feb 11, 2009
    Melbourne
    Endorsing Artist: BBE/G&L Basses
    I use a mono case instead of a hardcase, that's how confident I am in them. Mono aren't really a gig bag, more of a gig bag/hard case hybrid.

6. StuartV

StuartV Finally figuring out what I really like Supporting Member

Jul 27, 2006
    Manassas, VA
    Never heard of either. Just checked out both. For a double bag, the Mono looks like a much better design than the iGig, for about the same price.

7. +1... very lightweight and high quality... the best double bag out there IMO. Only downside is small gear pocket.

And, with a tilted head stock, the Mono will work much better than the more standard 'bag' type design of the Reunion Blues, due to the nice neck support thing.

I had a beautiful leather Reunion Blues double bag back in the day. Heavy, and it had only a single zipper design (versus the Mono's 'independent compartment design' for each bass.

8. kesslari

kesslari Groovin' with the Big Dogs Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Santa Cruz Mtns, California
    Lark in the Morning Instructional Videos; Audix Microphones
    BIG +1
    I just got a Mono double gig bag. I had a single and was massively impressed. I am now officially massively impressed with the double.

9. TheSeeker

TheSeeker

Apr 14, 2010
    East Coast
    +1 Mono bags are awesome.

10. lamarjones

lamarjones Supporting Member

Aug 27, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    my double bag is the incase dub bag. I dig it. most of my basses have a tilted headstock.

11. Echo, echo. Just got a Mono double bag this week. There are a few small quirks, but in terms of fitting and protecting two instruments, I've not seen its equal. Well worth the investment. It's also a very light bag - by far the lightest double bag I've tried.

Just for the record...the quirks:

- The size of the main pocket (as Ken mentioned) is a bit small. No huge deal, but last night I did have trouble squeezing my Radial JDI in there with two instrument cables and a microfiber towel, and it's certainly not a big box.

- Shoulder straps. Wearing this thing, for me, definitely involves both straps, a la a backpack. Tighten them too much and it's hard to get my arm behind the second strap. Loosen them too much and the bag sits really low, making it difficult to walk comfortably. Also, the fabric loops and the plastic rings, where the straps meet the bag, don't instill gobs of confidence. They may well be much stronger than needed, but to my eye they don't look like it. This is one area where I'll be keeping a close eye on things, and it just seems out of place on a bag that is otherwise incredibly well constructed.

Otherwise, and certainly compared to the competition (I wanted to try an iGig bag, but couldn't get my hands on one), this thing rocks. The key thing for me was comfortably fitting two instruments - and in that regard the Mono bag scores a perfect '10.' Some of my basses, like my 35" Mike Lull M5V, are pretty long. It fits in the bag with a bit of room to spare. Here's a lame cell phone shot from last night:

4583779131_6e0c926b0b_b.

Bottom line - great bag and I'd totally recommend it. Working backward from Kesslari, I've also ordered a single bag and am anxious to give it a run.

12. GeneralElectric

GeneralElectric

Dec 26, 2007
    NY, NY
    I've been looking for a good double bag too. The $300 price tag is what scares me away...

13. StuartV

Jul 27, 2006
    Manassas, VA
    Do any of these bags have a pocket/room to fit an Ultimate stand, when it's all folded up? Or fit 2, if it's a double bag?

14. StuartV

Jul 27, 2006
    Manassas, VA
    The Fender double bag is currently on sale at MusiciansFriend for $31.49. Just FYI.