Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

bass grimoire

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Joe Nerve, Feb 11, 2005.

1. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    how come you guys didn't tell me about this years ago!?! i was inspired to buy it from a 17 year old bass newcomer at a show. i think this book is invaluable for scales and breaking new ground on the bass. i've been using the neck diagrams to memorize the different modes and i'm having a blast. feels almost as if i'm just learning all over again. i always knew the major and minor scales, but went mostly by ear and feel. playing in all the different modes now in different postions is blowing my mind. never realized how much i DIDN'T know. life is good. :)

i love bass.

2. zillo

zillo

Jun 5, 2003
    Well that's alright! I've been playing a couple of years, and more than ever I'm experiencing little epiphanies of rythm and and relationships on the fretboard.

Now I'm playing with a lot of Duck Dunn's baselines. Simple beautiful, and grooving.

The more I learn the less I know! It seems like that should be frustrating, but it's not!

I love bass too.

3. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    Absolutely. Bass Grimoire is a "must have" for any serious bassist. I got mine at B. Dalton's when they were still a small shop. :)

4. frobie

frobie

Jan 7, 2005
    I have one as well...many crazy scales

5. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

Da gum it! I have recommended "The Bass Grimoire" many, many times over the years here at TalkBass. I do recommend it with a caveat, however.

While the book serves as an invaluable reference for chords, sclaes and modes, it DOES NOT tell you how to apply the information. I still feel you need to supplement this excellent book with other books on theory, so you know how to apply the chords, scales and modes in "The BG." Also, having a teacher help you is a good idea, too.

6. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    agreed. i finally started making use of some of my resources. i work at a H.S. and the music teachers there are all jazz guys. they know their stuff inside out. i'm finally aksin some questions, plus using their music room to play bass during all my prep periods. i feel like lots of new doors are opening.

7. metalguy2

metalguy2

Dec 26, 2004
    Boston
    I also like the bass grimoire. However I think they should have done it up for five strings.

8. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

That's a good point, also six strings. The book was written quite some time ago. Five string basses weren't as commonly used then. As you say, though, maybe an updated version would be a good idea.

9. wow.

I'm only 18 and I've had it for 2 years now.
    The other night, I completely wrote out the harmonic minor scale and modes (figuring out intervals and related chords and such) only to realize that it was in my BG...

oh well...now I know better...

10. Vox Populi

Vox Populi Reggae Loving Honkey

Jan 27, 2004
    Poulsbo, WA
    Since bass strings are tuned at an equal distance from each other, you can still apply the scales using the B string, just move down a string and it will still work.

11. Kurisu

Kurisu

Nov 19, 2003
    Saskatoon SK
    There's nothing stopping us from writing that book, you know. :)