bass guitar jazz players

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Hellsgamerz, May 28, 2004.

1. Anybody know any good electric bass jazz players? And I really mean jazz players, who are in the back, not like Marcus Miller (which is a kind of fusion-jazz anyway) who brings the bass to the front.
  2. Steve Rodby (Pat Metheny Group) has been known to go horizontal from time to time. And the onset of Alzheimers prevents me from remembering which Brubeck brother plays bass-- Chris or Dan?
  3. Anthony Jackson plays a swinging line when needed.
  4. 7flat5

Nov 28, 2003
    Upstate NY
    Steve Swallow came first to mind for me, too,
    and, Christian McBride.
    And, there's always Carol Kaye.
  5. Lackey

May 10, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Kbdp Qbtupsjvt.

ahem, I mean Jaco Pastorius.

(just to show how rare vowels are in the alphabet)
  6. DaveBeny

Mar 22, 2000
    London, UK
    Get yourself John Scofield's new live trio album, 'Enroute'. Steve Swallow is great on this!
  7. Davehenning

Aug 9, 2001
    Los Angeles
    Thanks for the heads-up!!!! One question, was that recorded in NYC? Sco' and Swallow did some trio stuff around December or so that I missed!!!

*puts fist to head like Homer* DOH!

I am running out the door to get it now.

Oh yeah, all the players previously mentioned are smokin'. But I actually like Carol Kaye's GUITAR playing better than her bass playing....she is somethin' else.

Oh yeah, Matt Garrison can lay it down mean! ......real mean.
  8. DaveBeny

Mar 22, 2000
    London, UK
    "Doh!" indeed! The album was recorded at the NYC Blue Note in December 2003.
  9. Davehenning

Aug 9, 2001
    Los Angeles
    I just got back with the album. DOH! DOH! DOH! Picked up some Miles Davis as well to help ease my pain.....

I totally flaked on that one. I knew they were coming to the BN, but it completely slipped my mind.

So far, I like it. "Alfie" sounds pretty good. I have always liked Sco's way with a melody.
  10. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2003
    Steve Swallow.
    Sco live in NY
    Love it.
    Richard Bona too.