1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Bass head preferences

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by DustinC90, Aug 13, 2012.

1. DustinC90

DustinC90

Jul 28, 2012
    I'm looking at an Eden Traveler 550, a Hartke LH500, and a GenzBenz Shuttle. Out of these, which would you prefer, and why? I play with a mostly clean tone, and I will be buying a cabinet with the head.

Thoughts?

2. musicman666

musicman666

Sep 11, 2011
    ca
    I would go with the Shuttle..check out Ed's reviewhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sx9OigytbNw
    Never been a fan of Eden or Hartke....

3. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2007
    Toronto Ontario Canada
    Both GB and Hartke have impeccable customer service. That's something I would take into consideration.

4. I can't really comment on the other two, but I have a Shuttle 6 and really dig it. It's great for a modern, clean & punchy tone, but can also do a nice warm grit with the tube preamp. Leaving the EQ dead flat is a little boring, but bump the bass up a bit and beef the low-mids and it comes alive. Lots of tones in that amp between the EQ and shape switches. Plus, it's only 4lbs and it fits in the front pocket of my iGig bag if I want. Plenty of power for anything I've needed, I pair it with my Avatar B210, B212 or both. I've also used it as a preamp straight to house or a straight up headphone amp.

EDIT: Also to reference Bassman's comment... A couple of the Genz guys are even active here on Talkbass.

Love it.

5sg.

5. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

Nov 5, 2005
    Genz-Benz out of those choices...

- georgestrings

6. I've not tried anything Eden in a long, long time, but last year the Genz Benz easily beat out the Hartke in my testing while shopping, and I ended up buying a Shuttle 6.0.

For what you are looking for, it sounds like the Shuttle would do that in spades. I'm starting to find mine a little *too* clean for my liking, but its hard to call that a fault, and it might be more an issue with me not EQing it well enough.

I love how light and easy to carry around it is, and I've had absolutely no issues with volume (I run a 1x12 with it) or reliability.

I don't think you can go wrong with getting a Shuttle, and that has nothing to do with the other amps.

7. DustinC90

DustinC90

Jul 28, 2012
    As far as the shuttles, what cabinet would you suggest pairing it with? Also, which wattage? 6.0? I definitely need enough headroom to play over loud drums for cases in which there isn't a good sound system.

8. Dave W

Dave W Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    Of those, I would go with the Shuttle. The 9.2 specifically.

9. The Shuttle is pretty flexible, so it really just depends on what you want. My first instinct for what you're saying is a Shuttle 6 and a good 4x10... a 4ohm cab would give you the full 600 watts, but an 8ohm cab would be a 375w setup (which is still pretty beefy) and let you add another cab if needed. If you really felt like overkill and have the bankroll, you could always go with a Shuttle 9 and a pair of 8x10 cabs (450w each). Woot. lol

5sg.

10. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    If you need a rig to keep up with a full band, you need to be sure to get enough spkr for the job. Wattage is great and all, but it's the spkrs that make the sound. 2x12 is bare bones minimum, but I'd suggest bigger, or more. An 8 ohm 2x12 for starters, and another 8 ohm 2x12 for the win.

11. +1. Whatever you decide, don't cheap out on the cab. A cheap low-end cab will make even the most boutique amp sound like poo.

5sg.

12. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

Nov 5, 2005

Yup - and a cheaper cab won't take the beating that a higher quality cab will, so it won't be as reliable/durable, either... Replacing blown speakers gets old really fast...

- georgestrings

13. I'm a former owner of the Eden WT-550. I ran that head into an Epi UL410 and it shook the earth. Flexible EQ, a good DI, and 2ohm stable. Used it can be found in the $550 range.

14. Noonan768

Noonan768

Jul 6, 2009
    St Johns, FL
    I haven't tried the Eden stuff but I can tell you as a former Hartke guy... Genz Benz is far superior. So versatile. I get so many compliments on my Shuttle Max 6.0. I actually just had two friends purchase new GB heads after being SWR guys for years just based on my recommendation.

15. DustinC90

DustinC90

Jul 28, 2012
    Definitely have no intentions of skimping out on the cabinet. If I were to go with the 6.0 or 6.2, do you think that a 4x10 at 4 ohms would do the job to keep up with a full band?

16. Killens84

Killens84 Supporting Member

Sep 3, 2008
    Mississippi
    Definitely, with room to spare

17. srayb

srayb

Oct 27, 2010
    Ontario, Canada
    I agree with genz benz shuttle option. I have a shuttle 3.0-8T which on its own it great for playing in small combos (acoustic band or quiet electric band). I also play in louder bands and just pop out the amp, take it with me and plug into a 4 ohm cab, more than enough for gigging. Great clean sound, but not in a sterile way, it sounds really good as long as your bass is good. :)

18. rapidfirerob

rapidfirerob Fusion rules!

I love my Shuttle 6.0. Clean, warm and punchy. I pair it with two GK Neo 112s, which is 600 watts. It will keep up with anything. I stack vertically and can hear the great sound perfectly. Light, loud, great sound, works for me.