1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Bass I bought on Ebay is missing a plate, now what?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Eyesee7, Nov 5, 2010.

1. Eyesee7

Eyesee7

Jul 17, 2005
    I finally snagged a rare Ibanez Musician "bean" bass. Here is the Ebay ad with the pertinent photo enlarged. Note the plate just above the nut on the headstock

[​IMG]

Now here is a picture of the bass as it arrived today - notice the missing plate!

[​IMG]

I haven't contacted the seller yet - how do you think I should handle this?? There is no mention in the ad of the plate being removed. All it mentions is that the bass received a pro setup. The bass plays well though, nice growl.
    thanks

2. smcd

smcd Supporting Member

Jun 28, 2009
    Boston, MA
    Not right! Contact him right away and ask for the plate.

3. Eyesee7

Eyesee7

Jul 17, 2005
    There's a sticky note inside the case that says "3/16" truss rod key". I'm thinking the tech did a truss rod adjustment and neglected to replace the plate.

4. michael_atw

michael_atw

Feb 28, 2009
    Jamestown, NY
    Tell him to mail you the plate. It's not a big deal. If he refuses, file a complaint.

5. pica

pica Supporting Member

Nov 26, 2009
    Michigan
    It looks like the plate says Marshall. It may have been personalized, that's why he removed it. Or I may be wrong.

6. pica

pica Supporting Member

Nov 26, 2009
    Michigan
    After further observation I see it says Musician. Never mind. :)

7. Be very careful with that... most Japanese basses are Metric, so 5mm is more likely. If you use a 3/16" key in a 5mm hole there's a good chance of rounding it out over time.

+ lots to complaining to the seller - those truss covers are like hens' teeth.

Pete.

8. Eyesee7

Eyesee7

Jul 17, 2005
    Thanks, I don't plan on doing any truss rod adjusting, just mentioned that there was a slip of paper in the case that said that. I don't understand the "hens' teeth" reference, but it is crazy that the truss cover is on the bass in the ad and arrives without it...:rolleyes:

9. Hens' teeth are extremely, extremely rare.

10. danomite64

danomite64

Nov 16, 2004
    Tampa, Florida
    If the previous owner doesn't have it, there's a guy who makes replacement ones. You can find him at http://www.ibanezcollectors.com. His username is porkpie.

11. Almost as rare as rocking horse **** :D

12. It's not a "plate", it's a truss rod cover. A request to send it should be enough - either the owner removed it or someone who tweaked it did. If it's not available, price a replacement and ask the seller to pay for it.

13. Samsound

Samsound

Sep 28, 2010
    Bottom line - contact the seller and give him the opportunity to make it right. Chances are it was an oversight - they take photos as gear arrives, it's adjusted by a tech and is sold. If the seller can't send the cover or won't make some other arrangement with you, it is then and only then that you leave negative feedback. Most honest sellers will work hard to avoid negative feedback, you just have to communicate and give them the chance.

14. Eyesee7

Eyesee7

Jul 17, 2005
    Thanks Pilgrim, Samsound and Danomite, I'm waiting to hear back from the seller.

15. Evil Undead

Evil Undead

Oct 31, 2009
    Let us know the outcome? And i'd love to see a picture of the whole bass :)

16. You can make a trussrod cover yourself, or have a tool-handy friend do it.
    It won't be original or look the same, but still an improvement.
    I've made several for guitars and basses, just because I didn't like the factory piece.
    Trace a pattern, paying attention to accurate screw holes.
    (Looks like you'll need the screws, too.)

Just saying--IF you don't get it from the seller it's not a big deal to fabricate something to cover the trussrod.

17. PCR

PCR

Apr 11, 2008
    Dang, you guys are good; cuz I had no idea about the hen's teeth too. :D

18. Anyone got a template for hen's teeth?

I hear vintage ones go for big $$$$....

19. Eyesee7

Eyesee7

Jul 17, 2005
    Still waiting to hear back but in the meantime, here's a pic. I've been lusting after one of these after trying one out in a GC ten years ago, but didn't pull the trigger when the sales guy offered it for $400. I got this one even cheaper. It's got a mean growl and I can navigate the fretboard quickly, good for playing Rush. I need to play with the settings but so far doesn't seem to be a real low-end bass. It's nicked up but I don't mind.

[​IMG]