Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bass ID Help?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by RunngDog, Jul 3, 2005.

1. RunngDog

RunngDog

Jan 22, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    Saw a bass at a show last night that I'd like to know more about. It looked like an old Silvertone or Danelectric from the 50's -- single cutaway, two lipstick pickups, black top with white sides (& back?), "coke-bottle" style headstock. I couldn't read the logo on the headstock, but it had a red circle and from a distance looked like a Jerry Jones.

Does anyone know if Jerry Jones has ever made this style of bass? Body looked quite reliced, so it also might have been a restored Silvertone or Danelectric with a JJ neck.

2. Joe Turski

Joe Turski

Jul 29, 2003
    Connecticut
    m
    Something like this?

[​IMG]

3. RunngDog

RunngDog

Jan 22, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    Yep, body shape quite similar to that -- but with 2 pickups and the coke-bottle headstock (with red circle logo).

4. RunngDog

RunngDog

Jan 22, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    By the way, the bassist in question was Mike Frederickson of Milwaukee, who currently plays with the Robbie Fulks Band. I think Dallas Wayne may have also played the same bass earlier in the evening.

5. The Hammer

The Hammer

Jul 13, 2004
    The red circle would make me think it was a Jerry Jones. BTW I saw Robbie Fulks open for Steve Earle years ago. I went out and bought "Lets Kill Saturday Night" good song.

6. paintandsk8

paintandsk8 Pushin' my soul through the wire...

May 12, 2003
    West Lafayette, IN
    Hey, I was in Madison, IN this weekend and saw a bass just like this. Single cut, two lipstick pups, black top w/ white sides and back. It was a Danelectro but I didn't get a chance to play it or check out the price or model info. If your interested I have the name & # of the shop, PM me if you want it.