1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Bass in Rap/Drum and Bass etc

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Defiled, Mar 19, 2009.

1. Defiled

Defiled

Apr 3, 2008
    So guys, i was just wondering, how do alot of these genre's get a REALLY deep, low but very boomy tone.

Im aware some of them actually use computers and keyboards but plenty still use basses. I was just wondering what is the correct effect for it?

Thanks guys.

2. You were right the first time - it's a synth.

If it is in fact a bass, the "effect" is generally tens of thousands of dollars worth of studio gear.

3. kenlacam

kenlacam

Nov 8, 2005
    akron, ohio
    ^Ditto 110% More than likely, the basslines are generated from beat machines, like the Akai MPC series, not actual basses, unless they are sampling from records using real basses.

4. dannybuoy

dannybuoy

Aug 3, 2005
    England
    An envelope filter that can get deep and dubby like the WMD Fatman or DOD FX25 is a good choice. Also good for reese style synth bass is an octave/fuzz/filter combo such as Boss OC-2 / Woolly Mammoth / Moog MF-101.

5. Juno, Reece, 808.

6. sorry

7. rnilson

rnilson

Mar 8, 2008
    Kansas City, MO
    +1

Yes, most of the stuff out there is a synth or a computer program.... but I can be done with a bass with just a few pedals as noted above.

Think not? You'll have to tell this guy because he didn't get the memo.

Our resident expert/ pro is John Davis of the Nerve fame. He is a monster player and a wealth of knowledge. (A really nice guy too. :D)

8. B.C.

B.C. Supporting Member

Jun 28, 2005
    Indiana
    Alot of the guys in the Atlanta Rap scene still hire bass guitarists(Lil' John) etc. In fact, I believe his bassist is on this forums(La'Marqius Jefferson I believe is his name). Really nice guy. There is something to that sound ya know thats just missing in other rap albums.

Anyway, I've never been that much into rap, but what I do hear you can pull off with a good fuzz and synth combo. I'd like to be part of a band for a rapper as it would be fun to do that stuff live.

Short story long, you can do just about all of it with the synth fuzz combo :)

9. warwick.hoy

warwick.hoy

Aug 20, 2006
    Spokane, WA.
    Beta Tester: Source Audio.

Thanks for sharing. Great Vid....does it exist unedited?

Is that The Dropper from MMW I hear about 5 minutes in?

Also; I'm going to do some research, who is this guy? Any idea what his pedal board looks like?

10. Deluge Of Sound

Deluge Of Sound Banned

Nov 8, 2007
    Maine/Vermont
    Paging John Davis!

11. fightthepower

fightthepower

Jan 7, 2008
    San Diego
    For those pitched 808 style bass sounds, an FX25 will do he trick for under $50, an FX25+OC-2 will do it a better for under $100. For the price you cant beat that combo. Im using the moog in place of the fx25 for those sub sounds, but I still really like the simple oc2+fx25 combo for a big round 808 style bass sound.

12. JohnDavisNYC

JohnDavisNYC

Jan 11, 2008
    Brooklyn, NY
    Endorsing Artist: Aguilar, D'Addario
    Hi!

Bond is the guy in that clip. He's from Poland and is a great player. His board used to be a lot like mine, but I know his rig has changed a bunch since his band Miloopa opened for Nerve.

Everyone has been pretty spot on on how to do this stuff.

I don't really have much to add to the conversation.... um... yeah. OC2 is my favourite, and right now seems popular around here (although it seemed to be the underdog until I started extolling it's wonderful capabilities...) and mammoth and fuzz and other fun thingies...

get the sounds in your head, and then figure out what you need to step on th make the sounds. It's not about the gear, but about hearing the sound in your head and understanding synthesis concepts enough to be able to create 'patches' with pedals.

I made some good risotto tonight.

John

13. rnilson

rnilson

Mar 8, 2008
    Kansas City, MO
    ***(Non related thread Hi-jack)***
    Hey John,
    I came across a clip of you today playing with Natalie Walker. It was really good. I was really digging your tone. Very cool to see how good of a player you are across the board. Do you come up with your own line for off a chord chard or is the stuff written up for you and you just read it.
    Do you do much traditional jazz/upright stuff now days?

14. Ephminus

Ephminus

Nov 6, 2008
    I can get that sound with my bass.

It's only useful for music that utilizes it, so I don't dial it in to often.
    I usually just do it if I'm showing off what my amp set up is capable of.

It's a bit of technique as well, I use a pick and palm mute the strings to get a nice controlled thud.
    I use a SWR WorkingPro400 and run a DBX parametric EQ through my effects loop with the mix turned up full.
    I use the DBX to dial in those tasty low end frequencies.
    I put that into my Ampeg SVT-410 HLF cabinet and boom!

15. JohnDavisNYC

JohnDavisNYC

Jan 11, 2008
    Brooklyn, NY
    Endorsing Artist: Aguilar, D'Addario
    rnilson: glad you liked the Natalie stuff... that stuff is just all stuff I learned off the record, but honestly, the production of the record was questionable to say the least, and the live band had to do A LOT of work and re-writing of parts to make the music even playable... the end result was good, but it took A LOT to get it there.

I don't play many jazz gigs these days, because I got tired of carrying my bass around on the subway for crap money... but my Pöllmann is leaning in the corner right next to the computer as I type and I try to practice as much as possible and still do a decent amount of session work, sometimes doing arco sectional stuff, etc. I love playing piano trio more than almost anything, but it is tough in nyc to find good clubs with good pianos... well, Nerve is basically a piano trio...

John

16. tons of compression for one.
    if you want ultra deep try a good quality octave pedal.
    lots of stickato, keep tight with the drums.

17. get an 18"!