Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bass Lessons

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Edouble, Dec 27, 2005.

1. Edouble

Edouble

Dec 23, 2005
    Hi all,

As I stated in my Bass Trainer question, I am new to Bass playing and am currently in need of lessons. I live in Maryland (Montgomery County) and want to know if anyone can suggest a teacher in this area.

Thanks!

2. Sippy

Sippy

Aug 1, 2005
    Stuart,Florida
    I don't know anybody but just a suggestion. Check with the local college, a lot of professors in the music department give private lessons. Try and stay away from store lessons. I find that they try and entertain you so that you stay with them, rather then teach you how to be a better bass player. IMHO a sign of a good bass instructor is one that forces you to read, and use a metronome.

3. radi8

radi8

Feb 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Not sure how up-to-date it is but, go to: www.wholenote.com and look for the tab that says "instruction".
    From there you will find 'Browse Teachers By Location'.
    Hope that helps.

4. DojoMaster

DojoMaster MusicDojo.com

Aug 3, 2004
    Baltimore, MD
    This is a haul for you, but I'd suggest Anthony Wellington. He teaches at Hot Licks Guitar Shop in Waldorf, MD. It's all the way around the Beltway, but definitely worth it. He's a great teacher, and may not have too many time slots available, but check him out. Go to anthonywellington.com to get his contact info.

Just so you know, he actually plays bass with Victor Wooten on Vic's solo tours.