Bass Mishaps

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by i like tictacs, Aug 5, 2004.

1. Well last night while playing at 2AM in my bed with the rest of my house asleep, this huge ass wasp landed right on my shoulder. Bee-phobic as I am, i freaked out, and twisted a little bit. Unbeknownst to me my Corvette is sliding right off the side of the bed and directly onto a glass cup thats sitting on the floor. Hell ensues. Loud noise, me screaming obsceneties and a dead bee. Now theres a little dent on the bottom of my bass down by the straplock, and nobody would notice it except me because I keep my stuff meticulous. So let's hear some stories of basses falling off stands, falling off straps...etc.

Now, to find me an iron...
  2. fatbassjazzer

Feb 27, 2004
    Ouch, thats no good. It wasn't me, but my cousin had a 1970ish acoustic ovation gu*tar and he woke up in the middle of the night, tripped on it and sat right on the body. It made a huge crack that need a $300 repair job. So finally he got it back and then not even two days later he tripped on it again and this time stepped on the headstock and broke it off. That guitar is history. Now he hangs everything on his wall, and for good reason too.
  3. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Tictacs, put your bass back in the case or gig bag before you go to sleep next time. :cool: It will save you some heartbreak.
  4. Well I was playing it at the time of the bee's landing...

5. Alexander

Aug 13, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    I had a friend with a wireless setup jump offstage and run through the crowd, clipping a concrete pillar with the headstock as he ran. When he got back onstage, people were like, dude look at your guitar...

Anyway, he had a guitar with the double locking tremelo - the headstock was broken completely off and hanging by the strings. Believe it or not, the thing actually stayed in tune...
  6. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    At least dings in warwicks are easy to repair.. just sand it off or something.
  7. bste9

Jun 15, 2000
    St. Louis
    i was playing my corvette and accidently hit the release on my strap and my corvette had a run in with the concrete floor. Cracked the neck near the nuck, but i was able to get it repaired.
  8. A few years ago, I was living up in the mountains, my band was about to start practice, and there was about 6" of snow on the ground. Singer thought it'd be fun to have a snowball fight, so I fought, then ran like a girl, slipped on the ice, and cracked the hell out of my Ibby Soundgear right at the jack. It was in a gig bag. Broke the wood from front to back and the jack was held in place by the wires. I spent the next two days sanding the paint off, removing all the splinters and useless wood, glueing it all back together and praying for the best. It worked out okay in the end, and I got a hardcase a few days later. Gig bags are for non-klutzes...unlike me.
  9. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I have quite a few 'im stupid' marks on my Godin. I lean my bass against my amp sometimes and a few times its fallen.. dinging various places when it lands on a pedal or something. Got a small ding on the back of the neck, some on headstock.. few on body.

Its all good.
  10. HiFi

Apr 20, 2002
    Anaheim, CA
    My first bass (a cheap Ibanez) had very pathetic strap buttons and the first time I played at church, right before our first set, the strap popped off one of the buttons and the bass went top down onto the floor. It was embarassing but the bass ended up okay.
  11. The headstocks on my Fenders are dinged up because I bang them into the ceiling and doorways in my place. I don't mind, because that's my way of making my own 'relic.' :)
  12. Beammeup

Oct 7, 2002
    I have a bad habbit of bangin' my drummer's Crash Cymbals with the headstock of my basses :eek:
  13. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Me too.
  14. Beammeup

Oct 7, 2002
    It seems cool in the moment of doing it, but afterwards :crying:

Rock N' Roll :D
  15. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    meh, i only do it with my Godin which is my baby and im never going to sell it even if i eventually get a Warwick Thumb (drool) cause its awesome, heh, so who cares about resale value, heh.
  16. cgworkman

May 14, 2004
    I went to a local concert with a girlfriend once - and the bassplayer was swinging his bass around his body - well the strap came undone and the bass smacked against the floor. When he picked it up the pups were hanging out.

I laughed my a$$ off.
  17. Blademaster Dez

Blademaster Dez

May 12, 2004
    Back when I was 17 or 18, I was playing my Ibanez TR in my room when the phone rang. I quickly put the bass on a stand to get the phone. The bass fell off the stand and the tuning peg for the G-string broke. With the peg broken, the G was now an F, so I had to detune my entire bass a whole step until I got a new tuning peg to replace it.

Other than that, nothing. I'm extremely careful with my stuff as well, especially my babies (instruments.)
  18. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    I've done that many-a-times. For some reason, usually with my Fender. My worst was probably actually throwing my ATK at the drummer (nice quarter-sived chunk missing on the bottom now).
  19. quallabone

Aug 2, 2003
    Just the standard crash cymbal marks on my 2 main gigging fury's. No belt marks on anything (pet peeve). I've never dropped a bass but I did drop this guitar when the cheapo strap it was on broke. Mental note: when guitar costs more than $1000, buy a strap that costs more than 2.50

Just a little scuff on the bottom from it. Nothing noticeable.