1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Bass Mods Basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Brock Bergeron, Jan 22, 2021.

1. Hey all, I posted yesterday about buying new strings (DR Black Beauties), and while I was looking around the internet I stumbled upon Bass Mods basses. I know of a few YouTubers who use them but I have not had the chance to play any myself. I know it is always a risk to buy a bass off of a website without playing it, but being as they are "higher-end instruments" I would hope this wouldn't be an issue.

Have any of y'all ever played bass mods, have any history with the company or know of any stories from people who have had interactions with the company?

I'm am planning on selling a few of my basses that I do not play anymore to buy a decent instrument for gigging and church/gospel choir and these seem like very impressive basses for the price. I'm trying to keep my overall budget under $1500 being a college student. But I am definitely interested in what you all have to say!

Thanks so much, B

2. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

I have not. There are several working pros using them. I'm sure their basses are custom jobs though. When they started out, their basses could be had for way less than $1k. They now exceed that but offer name brand, quality components. Don't know who makes their bodies and necks.

Brock Bergeron likes this.
  3. lowdownthump

lowdownthump

Jul 17, 2004
    They have a reputation for being heavy so I stay away.

Brock Bergeron likes this.
  4. UncleJimmy69

UncleJimmy69

Feb 8, 2020
    Owned three of them and played countless others. Absolutely awesome basses. I too play gospel and they sound amazing in that style of music. Would definitely recommend buying one.

lowdownthump likes this.
  5. tleebassist11

tleebassist11 Taylor Lee Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2011
    NC
    Endorsing: Fodera, DR Strings, Epifani Amps
    They are the best jazz bass for the price, IMO. They feel and sound like $3-4,000 instruments. I highly recommend them if you are playing
    pop-music/funk/R&B/Gospel

6. They offer body chambering.

7. songwriter21

songwriter21 I have an obsession for wood. The musical kind. Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2005
    Sponsored by Hipshot
    Granted, the one I had seven years ago was heavy, had a baseball-bat neck, neck wouldn't straighten out, and pickups that wouldn't adjust. I sent it back...turned me off. They seem to be better now, but considering the price comparison, I'd seriously look into a Kiesel JB5 or PB5, or their other models if you want a 24-fret board. Imo, you can have a much nicer bass for not much more, if not the same price. That, and Kiesel has options galore.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2021 at 7:07 AM
    lowdownthump likes this.
  8. lowdownthump

lowdownthump

Jul 17, 2004
    I found a bass that was lighter, has the 70’s pickup placement , US made, and the perfect neck profile in a Carvin SB5000. I also like the fact that it doesn’t have your traditional jazz body shape.
    In mint condition. Must have been a closet queen , for less than the price of a new Mexican Fender. $700 shipped to my door.
    I’m good !!;)

9. lowdownthump

lowdownthump

Jul 17, 2004
    I agree . A Keisel JB5 or used Carvin SB5000 is a great alternative if you like the non traditional body shapes .

Mr_O'B likes this.
  10. Mr_O'B

Mr_O'B

Feb 22, 2015
    Congrats! :hyper::hyper::hyper::hyper:

lowdownthump likes this.
  11. Kawai2g4b

Kawai2g4b

Oct 7, 2018
    I’m one of the few people around here who has a 10-year old Bass Mods bass back when their production was mostly in Korea. I have an RMB6 Robert Riegler signature (a chambered 6 string neck-thru with Kent Armstrongs) that sounds and feels plenty good enough to keep me away from $3000 modern-style basses. And I have never had an issue with the neck or fretwork in all those years.

7475D628-3823-4B0B-8C3C-58F6E821B782.jpeg The pic is of the bass’s namesake playing one.

I previously owned a 7-string neck-thru from them as well that was superb, though 7 strings turned out to be overkill for me.

Their basses really sound great no matter what they weigh. And their recent J-style instruments have addressed some previous neck stability issues with the 6+ string basses.

12. Robear22

Robear22

Sep 28, 2004
    Zion, Ill
    I have had this bass for over 6 years now and she is certainly a keeper. I upgraded the pickups to Bartolini and changed the preamp. She is a heavy one but the neck and action are to die for.

68590297_111026460262662_2946686403615916032_o.jpg

13. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 4, 2021