1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

bass neonate questions.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by DickyT, Sep 23, 2008.

1. DickyT

DickyT

Sep 23, 2008
    Hollyweird, FL
    Hello everyone, my name is Richard or nicknamed DickyT. I want to start playing the bass guitar, I miss having music in my life, but have lost the love for the 2 instruments I can currently play (clarinet and oboe)

My wife has told me that If I thin out my RC car collection some I can buy a bass and amp for the holidays coming up. Here is where my quest(ions) starts!

I am 5'6" with small'ish hands so I want a bass with a thin neck, my research has pointed me to Ibanez basses. I really like the look and tone of the sr500 but fear it may be too much instrument for a beginner. Is it a good idea to buy a midrange instrument to start off or should I buy a cheapy and upgrade the electronics, bridge and such later?

I am considering pairing the sr500 with a Behringer BXL3000A, also overkill for a newbie but I do not think I will outgrow it anytime soon.

I will be playing (learning) blues, rock and metal to start, but would like to get into Funk as my skills grow.

I realize this gear is not the standard "newbie" gear, do you guys with a bit more experience think it is worth the investment to learn on, or should I just get a $250 package deal with a cheap amp then have to sell it or mod it when I outgrow it?

Thanks,

DT

2. 3toes

3toes

Aug 30, 2006
    Charleston, South Carolina
    Endorsing Artist: Lakland Basses
    In my opinion there is no such thing as a bass that is "too nice" or "too much instrument" to start with (unless it is over 5-strings...). It's mainly a question of investment, like you said. The only reason most newcomers are advised towards cheaper basses (at least this is the reason *I* would advise them...) is that they aren't making a huge investment and therefore if they decide they don't like playing bass, then it isn't a huge loss.

I would consider the SR500 to be a lower-mid range bass in terms of price (but an excellent bass nonetheless). I think this would be a good balance; sure you're making a bit more of an investment, but you're getting a better instrument and don't have to worry stepping up from a beginner bass. Also, with a higher quality bass you'll have (or atleast should have) better quality parts, a more comfortable and playable instrument... all this makes the learning experience that much easier.

3. DeanT

DeanT Send lawyers, guns and money...

Go to your local Guitar Center, or any music shop that carries basses and try everything you can get your hands on. Pick them up and see how they feel, how heavy they are and pluck the strings a bit to get a feel for the sound. If you like one more than the others, buy it.

Don't worry about it being a "starter" bass, or "not for a beginner." If you find a bass that's in your budget that you like, go for it.

If you're looking for a slim neck, look at Ibanez, Fender Jazz basses and Beatle basses. But try all types of necks, you'll be surprised what you may find comfortable. More important to comfort than the thickness of the neck is the shape (the overall profile). Some neck profiles are thicker than a Jazz neck, but just as comfortable.

4. DickyT

DickyT

Sep 23, 2008
    Hollyweird, FL
    Thank you both for your input, I feel better about not looking at beginner instruments now. I have been to my local GC and plucked on several basses, the 2 that really "spoke" to me were the ibanez sr500 and srx700. I absolutely fell in love with the srx700 but that is really pushing my budget since I need to get an amp, extra strings, cable, etc to get started. I will save that for my next one :) time to start putting some of my less often used RC gear up for sale!

5. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    The Ibanez is a great choice. If you can swing it financially you won't regret getting the SRX 700 or the new version of it which is the SRX 690. But the SRX 500 is an excellent choice too. The necks are great to play on, the hardware is solid, the pickups and electronics sound good. You can get any good bass sound you need from them. Even the SRX 300 which I used on gigs for a few years is a good bass with virtually the same electronics and similar sounding pickups. Ibanez build quality is excellent.

As you can tell I prefer the SRX models to the SR models. I think their sound is better.

6. Check out MAE in Davie, good selection atleast for S FL. There are more smaller shops on Dixie Hwy. Also Check out the local pawns. Tons of good gear here cheap at the right place & time. Just cruise 441/SR-7 and pull into the the pawn shops and see what they have. Sam Ash will NOT be worth the drive for you. Atleast the one in Margate, I've heard the Miami one is not bad, atleast for guitarist.

BTW last time I bought strings MAE was $10 cheaper per set than any of the online sites. I buy EB's, Ken Smith, and recently am trying out Elixers.

7. lomo

lomo passionate hack Supporting Member

Apr 15, 2006
    Montreal
    As posted, try a few out. I think it's good to get a decent bass right away, but bear in mind it's very likely that in a year or 2 you'll really KNOW what works for you and there'll be another purchase down the road. If you're committed and finances aren't too tight, I'd steer clear of that Behringer amp, though. Just my .02

8. DickyT

DickyT

Sep 23, 2008
    Hollyweird, FL
    Great info, thanks! I live a few blocks off of sr-7 by a ton of pawn shops too, I will check that out. I really want to buy new though since it will be an x-mas present. I'll swing by MAE this week and check them out.

@lomo, i'm getting that feeling after reading forums and not just reviews. I knew it seemed to good to be true. I'm going to look at some of the lower priced ampegs and peavey's. I will not be gigging for a while if ever, so I do not need anything big for the time being, just quality sound.

9. Jamasaurus

Jamasaurus

Sep 10, 2007
    Naples, FL
    Uh...RC car collection?:eyebrow:

Anyways, I'd recommend starting on a quality instrument from the get go. It'll play better, sound better and result in you having more fun on the bass. I started on a GSR200, but quickly upgraded to a Geddy Lee Jazz and have not looked back. Sell of a couple more cars to finance a decent bass($400-700). Buy used as well.:cool:

10. MAE is on Davie Blvd(east/west bound one) Between 441 & I95. On the north side of the street. Not so much great used bass gear atleast amps. There are some decent buys on new and used basses there. A little while back they had tons of tube amps at good prices. But they sell fast there.

11. DickyT

DickyT

Sep 23, 2008
    Hollyweird, FL
    yes, I have 40-90 mph brushless electric cars and trucks. Yes, the real 40-90 not scale. I only drive a few of them though, so i am going to get rid of a few that just collect dust.

12. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    Nothing wrong with playing with cars. I make and fly kites. :D

13. 3toes

3toes

Aug 30, 2006
    Charleston, South Carolina
    Endorsing Artist: Lakland Basses
    I have some buddies who used to race those things. It's crazy, he let me try his "beater" car out and I couldn't control it at all.

14. SanDiegoHarry

SanDiegoHarry Banned Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    My advice - which was what I used to tell students: Find another player locally - a music teacher in a store, perhaps, and get his input. And I'd try to buy something I can resell - like a used American fender - that way, if you can't hang after a year or so, you can recoup your $$... and Fenders *are* a standard of sorts...

I also always tell folks to avoid spending their $$ with Guitar Center. Go there and look, but don't buy.

next thing you have to think about is an amp... I'd recommend something very cheap - I have a little behringer practice amp I used for learning tunes. You can't gig or even jam with it, but you can hear yourself and that's what matters. It cost me ~$75... here's a link from Zzounds...

http://www.zzounds.com/item--BEHBX108

And it doesn't sound half bad... You get that and mid '90's J-bass for ~$650, and you're set up.

15. ggunn

ggunn

Aug 30, 2006
    Austin, TX
    When I was in your position, I went into a GC-like place and started plunking around on basses and found one that looked and felt pretty good to me and was within my budget. Then I went over to a guy who was looking at basses as well and looked and sounded like he knew basses (NOT a salesman), and I introduced myself and asked him what he thought about what I had picked out. He took it and played around on it a bit, and told me that his first bass had been almost the same bass and that this was a good one. It's a Yamaha RBX series bass (I don't remember the number) and I still have it.

16. DickyT

DickyT

Sep 23, 2008
    Hollyweird, FL
    Precisely why I came here :) I like to consider myself a bit of an educated consumer and do my research before I spend cash, RC aside, I push envelopes there.

I do not think I will be buying my bass from GC, but they are great to go look at and close to home. I'm a few months off from purchase anyway. I have my wifes b-day to contend with before I buy myself a bass. In that time I will handle and pluck on several more, check various music stores in my area. So when the day comes to drop cash, Iknow that what I'm bringing home will be a solid foundation to grow my skill set from.

I have a gut feeling I will spend much of my working hours browsing threads here looking for great information.

You all seem to be a mostly friendly community too, which ius always nice.

Thank you everyone for your input so far, it is noted and appreciated.

DT