1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Bass on "Fire" and "Purple Haze" ...

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by lopxtc, Apr 9, 2009.

1. lopxtc

lopxtc

Jan 18, 2007
    St. Louis, MO
    So Im working on some more Hendrix songs for playing at the open jam I go to on Sundays, and been learning Fire and Purple Haze to go along with Hey Joe. Listening to both of those songs, it sounds like the bass is using something on his tone. Not sure if just the overdrive of a tube amp or what, but there is something in his tone mix and I would like to be able to come close to that same tone. Does anyone here know what was used on those songs?

Thanks ...

Aaron

2. Chris Ramlar

Chris Ramlar

Feb 8, 2006
    Mexico
    probably just a J or P bass I don't think Noel Redding used any effects at all so just an overdrive would be enough especially if you are playing with just 1 guitarist

3. RCCollins

RCCollins Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2008
    San Diego, California
    Tube amp. Probably a Fender Bassman? I should know this. but i don't think there's any pedals going on. Invest in a nice tube amp (there are more options all the time, at least lately) and you'll save yourself a ton of tone-chasing

4. Bob C

Bob C

Mar 26, 2000
    Duluth, MN
    lopxtc,

I'll bet you're right that it's just an overdiven amp. I have the CD in front of me, and I'll give it a listen after my Yes is done playing (slow wake up today).

I would suggest playing it with headphones on. Also, google the bass player's name (I think it's Noel Redding). You'll probably find an article or two about his equipment.

I'm pretty sure he used a Jazz or Precision back in the day. Flatwound strings too, but how carried away do you want to get? You could plug into a VT or some other overdrive, if you like. But I don't think there is a "fuzz" pedal on the record, per se.

You also have to take the studio into account. Sounds can be "created" through close miking, playing loud, etc that aren't readily duplicated live. The Beatles got distorted tones by overdriving the recording console - accidentally, I think. But they liked it!

5. bongomania

bongomania Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    While I don't recall which songs it was used on, Noel did also use a Hagstrom 8-string bass on a few songs on "Axis" and "Experienced".

6. Bob C

Bob C

Mar 26, 2000
    Duluth, MN
    I'm late! Two posts while I was organizing my thoughts. Anyway, what the other guys said. Probably a Fender bass through a tube amp. Get a tube overdrive type stompbox, if you like. How close do you want/need to get for jam night?

7. You gotta consider the time when this was recorded. Its probably an old J or P bass ran into a tube head going into some 15's and then turned up to 11. Its gonna sound overdriven. As mentioned above, a tube amp or any overdrive pedal should come close.

8. RCCollins

Mar 23, 2008
    San Diego, California
    No, get an all-tube amp. If it's too heavy, hit the gym. A tube OD stompbox won't get you any closer than a tube pre in a hybrid amp.

Keep in mind that Noel's amp probably had a single volume control. OD city!

I know this is the fx forum, but AMP FIRST, PEDALS LATER! :bag:

9. lopxtc

lopxtc

Jan 18, 2007
    St. Louis, MO
    Oh Im not shooting for 100% authentic .. however I feel in these two songs that the tone really accounts for the feel of the bass line also.

In "Haze" those opening bars of the octave riff ... what stands out to me after the lead drops the riff after a couple bars and the bass continues, is that distorted sound. To me the line just sounds more authentic and more like what I expect to hear with that dirty'ed up tone in it.

I pretty much figured it was a overdrive channel on a tube amp, but not being one that really studies other peoples tones I wasnt sure.

Aaron

10. lopxtc

lopxtc

Jan 18, 2007
    St. Louis, MO
    And as for tube amps ... Im patiently waiting the day when my nickle and dime savings from the left over change of the day equals the price a Peavey VB-2.

Aaron

11. chicago_mike

chicago_mike

Oct 9, 2007
    Chicago - LA - Rome
    Endorsing Artist : Genz Benz
    Jazz with Rotosound round wounds 45-105.

Silverface fender bassman or sunn 2000s. either way with jbl d-140's, or was it d-130's?

12. RCCollins

Mar 23, 2008
    San Diego, California
    See, it's not just "the overdrive channel on a tube amp". It is the WHOLE tube amp, power section as well.

Amps in those days generally had a single tone control, so there was no "overdrive section" - there was no way to crank the pre without cranking the power section. No stompbox will get you close

ya know what affordable tube head is really good for this kind of sound? The Traynor YBA-200. It breaks up really easily - TOO easily for many purposes, but PERFECT if you want that single volume control vibe (it has separate gain and volume, but you get the idea). And you can get one for like 5 bills. Should hold you over until you are ready to drop a buncha coin on an SVT or whatever...

13. xsubs

xsubs Working Class Hero Supporting Member

Jul 15, 2007
    NYC & Corcaigh, √Čire
    Endorsing Artist: Hiwatt Amplification & Rotosound Strings
  14. RCCollins

Mar 23, 2008
    San Diego, California
    here's the relevant text from the above link:

15. Bob C

Bob C

Mar 26, 2000
    Duluth, MN
    As I said, it's up to the OP how much time, money, effort he wants to expend to get "Noel's sound" - especially for jam night. It's not like he's starting a Hendrix tribute band Hence, the stompbox suggestion. I don't even know what gear he (the OP) owns or uses now.

I just finished reading an article that stated Redding did mainly use a Jazz bass. He played an 8-string Hagstrom on "Axis Bold As Love", but not on "...Experienced". Also, to my surprize he always used Rotosound Swing Bass strings. Round wound, I guess? I didn't know they were around back then. He favored Sunn Amps too. But I don't know when he started using them. And who knows exactly what he used in the studio?

16. RCCollins

Mar 23, 2008
    San Diego, California
    True, I dont know what gear he's using either. But pedal OD (tube or not) is very different from actual amp OD. I am trying to save him the frustration of working his way through the English Muff'n (since Noel used Marshalls a lot), the EBS valvedrive, etc until eventually going with a tube amp

17. lopxtc

lopxtc

Jan 18, 2007
    St. Louis, MO
    lol basically I think the question was simple answered as the "effect" was a product of the amp. So simple enough we can leave it at that :) ...

Thanks everyone, always enjoy history lessons and have to admit got a quick one on Noel in this thread :)

Aaron

18. Bob C

Bob C

Mar 26, 2000
    Duluth, MN
    Yeah, this discussion doesn't really belong in the "Effects" forum anymore. But we can't let it go. It has prompted me to listen to a Hendrix CD and read up on Noel Redding online.

19. chicago_mike

chicago_mike

Oct 9, 2007
    Chicago - LA - Rome
    Endorsing Artist : Genz Benz
    THeres a HUGE book on Hendrix that I got a long time ago and put in real good detail Noels equipment.

20. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather