1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Bass on "Fire" and "Purple Haze" ...

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by lopxtc, Apr 9, 2009.

1. It's a fine line. Since we discuss OD pedals in here, it seems appropriate to me to occasionally compare them to the pre sections/amps they are attempting to imitate. Especially given the context

Also I know Noel was kind of a hack and he just played what Jimi told him to, but that doesn't change the fact that his performances are the #1 reason I play bass today. When I first heard Are You Experienced (it was my parents copy) it was the basslines that stuck in my head, even with all that spectacular guitar stuff

2. lopxtc

lopxtc

Jan 18, 2007
    St. Louis, MO
    Ironically enough this is what has drawn me into learning several of the songs. Ive just been playing for a little over two years and in the past two months been attending an open jam night on Sundays. Last Sunday I played Hey Joe and the guy on guitar asked what other Hendrix I knew ... since I didnt know anything else I got home that night and started listening on You Tube and was sold as "hey these are lines that I know I can learn" ...

Aaron

3. Yes - and they WORK. There's just a touch of r&b to them, which of course it what makes them ROCK more than many "harder" (heavier/more difficult) bass lines

4. For some reason, it seems I remember reading or hearing that Jimi actually played some of the basslines himself. Not sure what songs, if any, he did and I couldn't tell you where I got this info so I could be totally wrong.

5. yeah, but not until Electric Ladyland when him and Noel were on the outs.

He DID pretty much teach Noel to play the bass and show him what to play for every song, though... except maybe the ones Noel sang!

6. xsubs

xsubs Working Class Hero Supporting Member

Jul 15, 2007
    NYC & Corcaigh, √Čire
    Endorsing Artist: Hiwatt Amplification & Rotosound Strings
    Another case of misinformation about Rotos, usually by the artist himself (just like JPJ on the early LZ LPs)... a careful listen to tracks on Electric Ladyland, the bass "solo" on 1983 comes to mind, clearly the sound of flats. The link I posted above also mentions that he used LaBellas. It's never easy to dispute the written word, but let your ears decide...

7. ScottB.

ScottB.

Sep 14, 2008
    J bass + Flats + Noel Redding + Overdriven tube amp

8. anchor_th

anchor_th

Oct 23, 2008
    He used a pick also...

9. Comon guys get real ....sheesh...

to the OP go to the link with the pictures and scroll down to the last one.....

NOW your mission is to go out and get that Sunn rig he has with the 3 heads and 6 cabs ...stack em up just like in the pic turn volum knob to 10 and......

BURN DOWN THE HOUSE
    WITH THE TOTALLY ACCURATE TONE. :bassist::hyper::ninja:

Let me stand next to your FIRE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.....Capt Kirk

10. you dont think theres a chance he used DIFFERENT STRINGS at various times, do you? Especially since this was still in the infancy of the instrument...

11. i read in an interview that noel hated flatwounds, and did use roto rounds.

i agree with xsubs, jonesy used flats on those early zep albums. i think when he got his alembic, that's when he switched to rounds.

i'll bet that hendrix played bass on "1983", a p-bass with flats!

12. electric ladyland is definitely the album where jimi started playing bass tracks, so you could certainly be right

13. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Gold Supporting Member

Using a tube amp for overdrive is all well and good in the studio, but it can be a problem for the average gigging bassist. That's because it's really hard to maintain the same level of overdrive at a variety of volume levels. Back when I ran an SVT stack I loved larger gigs where I could get the power tubes nice and warm, i.e. right at the overdrive point. However I was disappointed in smaller/quieter situations because the amp was too clean.

So, what I do these days is use SansAmp preamps for overdrive. I'm not going to say they sound just as good as an old SVT run in the 'sweet spot', but the tone is plenty close enough for my ears, and I can maintain the same level of overdrive at any gig, whisper quiet or pants-flappin' loud.

14. anyonefortennis

anyonefortennis Supporting Member

Jun 28, 2005
    Lincoln, NE
    I love playing fire on a ric with flats and dig in with a pic. Sounds great with some light od.

15. granted, an SVT is overkill for most folks' gigs. Fortunately there are other tube amps available, some of which Noel actually used.