1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Bass Phaser, Is it a myth?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by TZero, Dec 23, 2011.

1. TZero

TZero

Oct 9, 2011
    Hey I was wondering if a phaser made specifically for bass exists. Because the only one I found was this custom made one that cost half a grand, a little over budget?:bassist:
    so far the only thing i have found are guitar phasers, used on bass, which sound cool and all but i found some times the low end is cut.

2. You're not going to find too many specifically for bass. But I can tell you that there are several that let you control the frequency of the sweep so that it won't sweep down into the bass frequencies and cancel them out. The EHX Stereo Polyphase is one of them. It has start and stop knobs, which controls how high and low the sweep travels. The Moog Phaser lets you control the center frequency of the sweep, and there are others that give you similar control.

3. CopperheadLXXIX

CopperheadLXXIX

Aug 9, 2003
    Jax, FL
    Although not exclusively a phaser, the Source Audio Bass Envelope Filter has a couple of phaser settings, and as the name suggests, it was designed for bass guitar.

4. I love my phased bass sound. Just a phase90 set real slow alongside a completely dry channel.

5. EBS makes a phaser for bass:

[​IMG]

here's a link where you can hear sound samples:

EBS Sweden AB - Professional Bass Equipment

I've got one on my board. It's a good pedal. It's not one I use a lot, but for maybe two tunes a night when I'm going for a psychedelic effect in the jam part of the song.

6. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    Endorsing artist:see profile.
    Check out the Pigtronix EP-2 envelope phaser. It's one of my favorite pedals with a voice all it's own.

Pigtronix effects endorser.

7. MBlom

MBlom

Dec 23, 2011
    Gothenburg, Sweden
    I just bought a Moogerfooger phaser and it lets you sweep a wide spectrum (or spectra?) of frequencies, to me there´s uses for letting affect the low end at times when I want it to move and evolve and when I want a solid, intact low end I turn the Sweep up high.
    Furhter more, the ability to control how far the LFO will move the centrum frequency makes it genius and when you realise what you can do with 8 i/o to send and recieve control signals from other Moogerfooger it makes you frown upon other phasers. :spit:

8. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Just search here on "phaser" and you will find literally thousands of posts talking about phasers that work great on bass.

Also I have used at least a dozen not-specifically-bass phasers, and not one of them cut any low end. Whichever one you tried that did cut lows was an exception. So that's a big reason why you don't see so many bass phasers out there.

9. Lebowsky

Lebowsky Effects Forum Resident

Mar 18, 2007
    Lausanne, Switzerland
    TC Electronics TC XII "B/K" Phaser is a bass version of their phaser. But it's been out of production for 10 or 15 years I think. It's awesome though, if you can find a used one.

10. Laurent

Laurent

May 21, 2008
    Napa, California
    Myth.

I use the MXR Phase 90 script also called vintage 74 and it is fabulous.
    The Phase 100 is more modern sounding and more versatile.
    The MXR Phase 45 is OK on bass but very suble and musical.

11. I use an EHX Small Stone nano and... let me check just now...
    Nope, no low cut!

12. I love my old DOD FX-20b- at lower settings, I can leave it on as a *fattener*; too much depth & regeneration and it can get very bassy. Most sounds I've gotten are very useable. Long discontinued, but cheap & not uncommon.

13. Eric!

Eric! Commercial User

Jan 22, 2009
    America's High-Five
    Mojo Hand FX
  14. The Pigtronix EP-2 has frequency center and width control and also works as an envelope-controlled phaser, an excellent effect for bass. I can't recommend it highly enough.

15. MingusBass

MingusBass Commercial User

Sep 27, 2004
    Fort Wayne,Indiana
    Pigtronix, EP-2! It's my favorite pedal right now.

16. fishdreams

fishdreams Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2010
    Brooklyn, NY
    Endorsing: Arkham Vacuum Tube Amplification and and Martin Keith Guitars
    In my experience a lot of low cut comes from the way pedals interact in the chain rather than how an indivdual pedal cuts lows by themselves.

Just experiment, these all have different characteristics. I have an old DOD FX20B (B does not stand for bass) phaser. warm, raw sound, and cheap on ebay.

17. Darkstrike

Darkstrike Return Of The King!

Sep 14, 2007
    The EBS Dphase is a pretty dang sweet pedal.

Had a Boss one before it, but it was rubbish with bass, like someone threw a blanket over my amp.

18. lowendblues

lowendblues Supporting Member

Oct 8, 2004
    Ohio
  19. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Most any phaser will work well with bass. The aforementioned Pigtronix EP-2 is an awesome pedal, but it's more than "just" a phaser. The Ehx Small Stone is one of my favorites, as well as the Maxon PT9Pro+ I'm using now.

20. newbold

newbold

Sep 21, 2008
    Toronto
    I have a Pigtronix EP-1 and really dig it. Do yourself a favour and try an EHX Worm. Certainly a sleeper phaser/mod unit.