1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Bass Philosophy...

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Birdland11, Dec 18, 2011.

1. I was getting into this with a friend the other day, and was wondering...What does bass represent to you? for me its the in-betweens of life, the things we normally don't pay attention to.Not a flower or a summer night's sky, but more like the moment after you take a breath, that split second before you exhale. That is bass! Or Imagine a photograph of two Ferrari's parked next to each other on 45 degree angles where the front bumpers are almost touching.The whole photograph represents the music. One car is the guitar or keys, one is the singer and the drummer is the street they are parked on. The bass is the space in-between the two cars. If it were not for that empty space, the two cars would be touching each other. Not such a good picture anymore is it? I know that one seems a little far out, but share your philosophies please.... I searched and i did not find a thread like this. Thanks

You can have a decent life without the in-between's, but it would suck.

2. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    Too limiting. For me, bass is the owner of the Ferrari's.

3. Bass reminds me about staying in the moment. It's cool to play a little behind, or push the tempo sometimes, but always in the pocket, or moment. Bass is deep. :cool:

4. Jinro

Jinro

Oct 9, 2011
    West TN
    What does bass represent to me?

A musical instrument. I can't assign "deeper meanings" to inanimate objects.

5. Lichtaffen

Lichtaffen

Sep 29, 2008
    Rhode Island
    Bass is like the roots of a tree. You never really see the roots, but without them even the most beautiful and majestic tree would fall over.

6. Never thought of this before but...
    To me it seems as though bass is like the earth beneath my feet.
    The solid foundation upon which everything else is built.

7. DBCrocky

DBCrocky

Oct 18, 2011
    Cary, NC
    The bass and the drums are the wave for the singers and soloists to surf upon.

8. PrietoBass

PrietoBass How does he do that?

Apr 16, 2009
    Bass is like the ketchup for the fries...

9. Roscoe East

Roscoe East

Aug 22, 2011
    Bass is Sex.

10. superfunk47

superfunk47

Sep 9, 2007
    ...Okay? Nobody seems to be talking about any inanimate objects, but whatever.

It's striking me more and more as the fatherly role in a group. It sure feels that way when you're doing your job well.

11. Jinro

Jinro

Oct 9, 2011
    West TN
    ......a musical instrument, in this case a bass, is an inanimate object. So yes, we are indeed talking about inanimate objects.

12. DBCrocky

DBCrocky

Oct 18, 2011
    Cary, NC
    But the sound of a bass is not an inanimate object.

13. Jinro

Jinro

Oct 9, 2011
    West TN
    Sound isn't an object. And the sound is not the question here anyway. The bass itself is.

14. superfunk47

superfunk47

Sep 9, 2007
    If you read the OP, he never mentions "a bass," but rather asks:

Add to that the fact that this isn't in "Basses," it's in Misc, which is for general discussion of music. So, no, the question is really not about the bass as a physical object, it's about what the role of the bass means to the individual player.

15. All_¥our_Bass

All_¥our_Bass

Dec 26, 2004
    Something to channel music through.

16. ACalbass

ACalbass

Dec 16, 2011
    Is a tool, a mean to express a part of yourself.
    Is your second voice.

17. Jinro

Jinro

Oct 9, 2011
    West TN
    Nowhere in the question is the role of the bass mentioned. As you said, the question is "what does bass represent to you". "Bass", as in the instrument itself. Do you see "role" in there? I don't. This means that he could be talking about the instrument, or the fish. Being that this is a bass forum, he's obviously not talking about the fish. Besides, the role of the bass is is pretty much set; it can be used as a solo instrument or as a supporting instrument in a band situation. There's no room for personal interpretation of a role that's already defined.

This is all pointless semantics anyway.

18. ACalbass

ACalbass

Dec 16, 2011
    No,you are making all about semantics,all other people is trying to romanticize and find out how and WHY they use the instrument.
    That is the original question.
    Is not about the role you already know it plays,is the role the bass play in their lives.(no is not written in the original post either,is an interpretation)
    I guess you are the kind of guy that when they see the part and it says AD LIB you play the first two notes A and D then stop to ask where the L and I notes are.:D

take it easy,is a joke.

19. If it seems like pointless semantics to you, fine, STFU kindly, and move on. The only pointless posts here are yours and mine.

20. Ground, earth, invisible space. In the context of the band I play for, a platform for the voice is a great 'visual'.

In another context altogether but to the OP's point, yet without any true anology, I do tend to "see raw truth" more often in life's spaces, than in its foregrounds. Old intelligence officer learn new tricks as OF/dad/player/citizen/human. Truth "hides" in life spaces. And that aint no muthafrickin' semantics. Word.

Peace. out.