Bass purchase dilemma.. doh!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Ghoul76, Jul 23, 2018.

1. Ghoul76

Ghoul76

Jul 23, 2018
    Pittsburgh, PA
    I think I already know the answer to my own question, but I always value the opinions of others. So, I've been shopping for a new bass to get back into playing and I ended up buying two basses. One is a Schecter Stiletto Stage 4 an the other is the new style Jackson CBX IV. They're both currently en route to me. On paper the Schecter looks like it pretty much trumps the Jackson in most way. I got a really good deal on both. I paid $230 for the Jackson and $315 for the Schecter. But I'm only going to keep one.

Concert Bass :: X Series Signature David Ellefson Concert™ Bass CBX IV, Dark Rosewood Fingerboard, Satin Black

Bass : Stiletto Stage-4

jamro217 likes this.
  2. Warpeg

Warpeg

Jun 20, 2005
    Ohio
    Simple. Keep the one you like better.

3. Ghastly

Ghastly

Oct 18, 2015
    Mill Valley
    Or... keep them both!

4. Ghoul76

Ghoul76

Jul 23, 2018
    Pittsburgh, PA
    If I could I might, but the old lady is already hesitant of me owning one bass. She fears I'm going through an early mid-life crisis. I just want to get back into jamming to occupy my free time like I used to when I was younger.

Ghastly and TolerancEJ like this.
  5. sigterm

sigterm ;) ;) ;), love y'all

Feb 5, 2003
    Atlanta G of A
    Swap the necks, fire the drummer keep both and use a rumble.

biguglyman likes this.
  6. At least show her those prices.

Then show her the prices of Fodera, Alembic, Ritter and Wal so she knows 'what the instruments could have cost'. She should be happy you will choose the ones you've captioned.

7. TrevorR

TrevorR

Oct 3, 2015
    Near London, UK
    Yes, show her a photo of @kulit17 ’s collection on the Wal Club thread and get her to add up the numbers then show her the total cost of your TWO basses!

kulit17 likes this.
  8. kulit17

kulit17 Wal Collector #35 Supporting Member

20180429_143706.jpg

**i actually sold 3 of them.....but acquired two more Wals......oops

Just acquired the one on the right too.....

6zkatdk-x9xohrpxihumap-484xuncldukpy5zergnb9wqxbmhatfz0m8igizkyyjmr_s8rm6mob8kb-w496-h660-no-jpg.jpg

9. Ghoul76

Ghoul76

Jul 23, 2018
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Thanks for all the comments. I really wish I could keep both, but I guess I'll wait to get them both and see which one feels like I need to own it. My luck will probably make both of them feel that way.

10. Jscriv

Jscriv

Feb 3, 2017
    Tonawanda NY
    Ask talk bass which one to keep will always get you the result of...keep both. My wife thought I was crazy when I went on a used fender kick. Few MIMs and the I strategically got parts and put some together. Now I'm on an amp kick along with a few EBMMs, soon a Ric, and defidently a g&l asat. Maybe one of those pretty new musicmans. And a bongo. So, if she's scared now just wait until the GAS takes hold!! Welcome my friend!

Ghoul76 likes this.
  11. Maxdusty

Maxdusty

Mar 9, 2012
    Michigan USA
    At those prices, I'm assuming you're buying both used.
    It's not like it's money down the drain as each can be sold for a profit. Perhaps show your wife the average used prices for each and mention that often times the longer you hold on to a bass, it appreciates a bit as models are discontinued. ;)

12. That's too bad. My wife is always very supportive of my early mid-life crises.

13. Ghoul76

Ghoul76

Jul 23, 2018
    Pittsburgh, PA
    It probably wouldn't be a big deal if I didn't already have so much stuff for other hobbies/collections (video games, R/C, memorabilia). But I have been selling off some stuff to support my purchase. I still need to find a good deal on a decent practice amp.

14. Ghoul76

Ghoul76

Jul 23, 2018
    Pittsburgh, PA
    I'm going to see which one moves me the most. But yes, they're both used. The Schecter was purchased earlier this year by the original owner as a backup and the Jackson is a demo I believe. But if I sell one or the other, I should be able to make a few bucks and make whichever one I do keep a hell of a deal.

Maxdusty likes this.
  15. Ghoul76

Ghoul76

Jul 23, 2018
    Pittsburgh, PA
    I got the Jackson in. Everything appears to be in excellent condition except for the four or five frets towards the pickups. They appear dull or tarnished.

16. Ghoul76

Ghoul76

Jul 23, 2018
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Looks like I'm getting screwed on the Schecter, but at least I have the Jackson.

17. B-Mac

B-Mac Just like Aretha Sang... R-E-S-P-E-C-T Supporting Member

If you’re going to actually gig it is good to have a back up

18. Ghoul76

Ghoul76

Jul 23, 2018
    Pittsburgh, PA
    I wish I was good enough to worry about that. :p

19. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 30, 2021