1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Bass quartets/quintets?

Discussion in 'Music [DB]' started by arve, Apr 6, 2009.

1. arve

arve

Apr 6, 2009
    I'm at a orchestra gathering and I'm one of 5 bassist.
    We were woundering if there is any bass quartets or bass quintets that you guys knew about?

And if you do, is it possible to send me a PDF of them?

Thanks!

2. If you go to Lemur Music's site, I'm sure you can find a good bit of stuff. Some of the best arrangements I have heard are from Carolyn White, who is a bassist in Saint Louis Symphony. Just do a search for her name in Lemur's catalog, and you will find a ton of arrangements.

There's also the Schuller bass quartet, but that's a bit more difficult . . .and I believe it requires at least one or two players to re-tune (can't remember whether it's standard solo tuning, or some other scordatura . . .)

If you find other original works out there, or end up with some favorites, I'd love to hear about them.

-Jeremy

ps sorry I don't have anything I can email you

3. KJPbop

KJPbop

Aug 8, 2008
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Greetings! Check out this web site: www.bassomusic.com

There are several interesting and challenging things to be had there. I have had the pleasure of playing several of these; Adrian is a very talented guy!! He even wrote and premiered his own bass concerto about 10 or so years ago. Good luck! KJPbop

4. mattgray

mattgray

Nov 16, 2007
    Cincinnati, OH
    Try looking for the Alt quartet, it's a really nice piece. It was written for members of the Berlin Philharmonic, here's a youtube recording of it:

5. I love this piece.

6. You might also try contacting John Kennedy, President of ISB, he always seems to have loads of chamber music for bass groups.