Bass Recommendations please!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Nihblokk, Aug 31, 2020.

So... Which bass?

Poll closed Sep 5, 2020.
  1. Spector Legend 4 Classic walnut burl

43.8%
  2. Fender Deluxe Active PJ Special

23.1%
  3. Fender Active Jazz Bass

18.2%
  4. Ibanez sr650-abs

24.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Nihblokk

Nihblokk

Aug 31, 2020
    Hello fellow bass players.

I'm a one-man black metal band and I would like to purchase a bass for recording purposes, as for my debut album I used VSTs and was not satisfied by the result and lately I've been developing an interest of learning to play bass by myself. I'm looking for a punchy metal sound and not that much for versatility. My options are:

Spector Legend 4 Classic Walnut Burl
    Fender Deluxe Active PJ Special
    Fender Active Jazz Bass
    Ibanez Sr650-Abs

Which one do you guys think will be better for what I'm looking for?
    Thanks in advance!

levis76 and jd56hawk like this.
  2. Nebadon2000

Nebadon2000 Supporting Member

Sep 20, 2005
    Moyock, North Carolina
    I know how the Fender Deluxe and Jazz might sound. And most likely they are all competitive with each other. But the Spector Legend 4 Classic intrigues me, Demo's sound great and design, Style and features seem serious.

3. Nihblokk

Nihblokk

Aug 31, 2020
    I've only seen demos of all of those basses since I'm not able to go out there and try them. But yeah, based on the looks I'd chose the Spector, but it's the sound I'm worried about the most. For simplicity's sake I may just buy a MIM Precision Passive but I'm not sure it can hold up to a black metal sound.

bassdude51 likes this.
  4. bassdude51

bassdude51 "You never even called me by my name." Supporting Member

Nov 1, 2008
    Central Ohio
    Man, a P Bass can hold up to Metal or Black Metal no "problemo". Buy some Roto Sound Swing Bass 66 strings, Eq your amp the right way..............you will do the job!!!!!!!!

And yes, there are a bunch of other basses that'll work too. Ever hear of a thing called "youtube"? Check out the videos of your favorite Black Metal Bands and buy a bass like what you see them use.

It ain't that hard!

5. gebass6

gebass6 We're not all trying to play the same music. Supporting Member

Who are your favorite Metal bassists?
    Look at what they play.

.:Aidan:., Reedt2000 and bassdude51 like this.
  6. Nebadon2000

Nebadon2000 Supporting Member

Sep 20, 2005
    Moyock, North Carolina
    The Deluxe has Active/Passive switch can get good P sound and many others; if standard P type sound doesn't work for everything you need.

Some may say you don't get exact P sound with P/J Just ask them which P bass and which Sound, which type neck and pickups, body and fingerboard wood etc.:)

I have an Idea what they are referencing but it still is ambiguous/subjective for me. I know it when I hear it [for my head]

7. Datsgor

Datsgor Supporting Member

Jul 29, 2000
    Hey man, welcome to Talkbass. Take a look at the G&L Tribute L-2000. It'll do metal all day long.

Holdsg, johnson79, EagleMoon and 6 others like this.
  8. filmtex

filmtex

May 29, 2011
    I love these threads....

RBrownBass, red_rhino and akrachanko like this.
  9. lucas303

lucas303

Mar 11, 2019
    Colorado
    As a black metal fan, I don't think a P is ideal (though at the same time I don't think it's a bad choice). Of the choices you gave I think the Spector is your best bet.

Have you considered some sort of Music Man?

10. Nihblokk

Nihblokk

Aug 31, 2020
    Thanks man, I'll check out that new YouTube thing you're talking about.

11. Nihblokk

Nihblokk

Aug 31, 2020
    The mostly play signature models, like Orion and Harris.

lizardking837 likes this.
  12. Nihblokk

Nihblokk

Aug 31, 2020
    It's a whole different world that of bass guitars. I understand that. I'll just have to go with what my guts tell me.

13. bassdude51

bassdude51 "You never even called me by my name." Supporting Member

Nov 1, 2008
    Central Ohio
    LOL!!!!!!!! Ya know I was teasing, don't you?

Youtube and Google pretty much take care of about 98% of all of my needs. (I don't even bother to ask folks questions anymore. Google answers my questions.)

14. Nihblokk

Nihblokk

Aug 31, 2020
    Thanks man, I'll check that model out. I think they're not easy to get where I live.

15. cataract

cataract Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2007
    Birmingham AL
    Yep, a Stingray or something similar would be perfect. Or as mentioned above, a G&L L2K :bassist:

16. Nihblokk

Nihblokk

Aug 31, 2020
    Why? So far
    I love how the Spector looks. Music mans are hard to get where I live, and really overpriced as well. I only see listed the cheap Chinese SUBs for more than 500 USD.

dkelley and lucas303 like this.
  17. Nihblokk

Nihblokk

Aug 31, 2020
    Yeah, I just like to reply to sarcasm with more sarcasm. It might not be the best thing to do but what the hell. Seriously though, I've been around YT and Google but I have not found any satisfying answer, that's why I came here.

dkelley, equill and bassdude51 like this.
  18. Nihblokk

Nihblokk

Aug 31, 2020
    I just searched for the L2000 and no store (online or otherwise) has it. It's just full of Fenders, Schecters and Ibanez.

19. cataract

cataract Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2007
    Birmingham AL
    Plenty available on Reverb!

20. lucas303

lucas303

Mar 11, 2019
    Colorado
    Have you checked out the Schecter Stiletto Stealth? It's got P and MM pickups. I don't have personal experience with it but I think you should give it a look if it's a viable option where you are.

smogg likes this.