1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

BASS SANDWICH: PLAYING BETWEEN TWO DRUMMERS!

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by DWLANG, Feb 14, 2013.

1. DWLANG

DWLANG Supporting Member

Jan 23, 2013
    Bartlett, IL
    A buddy of mine has assembled all of his musician friends, much like Eric Clapton did, to put together a "Concert for George" show that performs all of the Western portion of the actual "Concert for George" that Clapton put together to honor George Harrision in 2002. (the CFG was performed a year to the day after George passed at the Royal Albert Hall)

Anyway...we're playing the show song-for-song w/ the same arrangements used in the actual CFG.

One of the coolest things I've ever experienced as a bass player...playing the bass while standing literally between two full drum sets rocking away!

Holy cow! Talk about being in the pocket!! Even better, the guys I'm playing with are TIGHT and working together!

:mind blown:

If you ever get the chance to try it...OMG....try it!

2. iriegnome

iriegnome Bassstar style Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2001
    Kenosha, WI 53140
    I agree. I have 2 drummers in my band. 1 full time trap drummer and the other switches from a percussion kit to a full kit depending on the room we have on stage.. We have played for the last 13 years with 2 drummers... I really can get super crazy hitting the pocket...

3. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    oh yeah, two good drummers are a blast to play bass with!

i stop trying to lock with one or the other and just treat the whole "percussion section" like one giant drumkit.

4. shadven

shadven Twang-tastic Bass Player and Song Writer Supporting Member

Dec 30, 2009
    Tampa, FL
    I rock, therefore I am.
    Sounds very cool. Last year a local radio station hired my band to play the entire George Harrison's "All Things Must Pass" We played all 3 LPs in order. It was a magical night...

5. JohnnyBottom

JohnnyBottom Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2002
    New Jersey
    From the Grateful Dead world 2 interplaying drummers is pretty standard.
    I definitly agree setting up between them is good feeling.

6. iriegnome

iriegnome Bassstar style Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2001
    Kenosha, WI 53140
    That is where I come from. We have done shows or even practices in the past with only 1 drummer and it is almost difficult to hit the pocket groove. It is kind of funny.. Especially when I am asked to fill in with another band..

7. pflash4001

pflash4001

Dec 2, 2011
    This thread title set up a BAD visual...

8. rapidfirerob

rapidfirerob Fusion rules!

I'm in an Allman Bros. tribute band and we have two drummers when one of them is not traveling for his engineer gig. Like a freight train! I digs on it.

9. JoeWPgh

JoeWPgh

Dec 21, 2012
    No wonder why drummers are so hard to find! You're hogging them!