1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Bass Solo Nostalgia

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by phillybass101, Mar 15, 2013.

1. phillybass101

phillybass101

Jan 12, 2011
    Artist, Trickfish Amplification Bartolini Emerging Artist, MTD Kingston Emerging Artist. Artist, Tsunami Cables
    What bass solo or solos encouraged you early in your development to step it up a notch? Before there was a Jaco. or Victor, or Stanley, or Marcus there was a thing such as a bass solo in a recorded piece. Rarely did they get air play but some did. The two that forever changed me are still classics to this day (I'm a slapper but these solos are fingerstyle and the bomb IMO)

Dennis Coffee--Scorpio (Bass solo Bob Babbitt I think)
    Get Ready--Bass solo.

I don't know the bassist. But the group was one of the few white groups on the Motown label.

What's yours???

2. Yogi Bear

Yogi Bear Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2000
    Colorado
    The one's that really stood out to me are...

John Entwistle's bass solo, interlude, or whatever you call it, in the Real Me.

Chris Squire's Fish especially off of the Yessongs live album - absolutely blew my mind.

Jethro Tull's Bouree. I guess not really a solo but, to me, a real standout for the bass - really well done.

3. Tanner5382

Tanner5382 Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2010
    Canton, GA
    I suppose it doesn't really count as nostalgia due to my age, but some of my favorites are in the following songs:
    Pictures of home- Deep Purple
    Spanish Boots-Jeff Beck Group
    Lost Woman-James Gang(Yardbirds Cover)
    Funk #48-James Gang
    And of course My Generation

4. phillybass101

phillybass101

Jan 12, 2011
    Artist, Trickfish Amplification Bartolini Emerging Artist, MTD Kingston Emerging Artist. Artist, Tsunami Cables
    It's Nostalgic in the sense that they occurred back in the past and that they have affected you almost permanently. James Gang is certainly not current :).

5. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.

6. eee

eee

Jan 17, 2009
    Fuqua wins

7. Basshappi

Basshappi

Feb 12, 2007
    Tucson,AZ
    Entwistle - My Generation
    Squire - The Fish
    Cornick - Bouree
    Jaco - Teen Town
    Clarke - School Days

8. fearceol

fearceol

Nov 14, 2006
    Ireland
    One that has always stood out for me, was Glen Cornick's solo on Jethro Tull's "Bouree". The solo itself starts at the 01.55 mark.

9. Shakin-Slim

Shakin-Slim

Jul 23, 2009
    Tokyo, Japan
    Willie Weeks on Donny Hathaway's 'Voices Inside'

10. mellowinman

mellowinman Free Man

Oct 19, 2011
    Minneapolis
    I believe John Persch, (also known as John Parrish) was the bass player when Rare Earth recorded "Get Ready."

They also used Mike Urso, Reggie McBride, Ken Johnston, Tim Ellsworth, and Andy Merrild. They are still out there today, and the bass player is Randy "Bird" Burghdoff. Of course, for me, they are only really Rare Earth when they have Peter Rivera as the singing drummer. That's the guy who I think of when I think of that band.

They were SMOKIN'!

11. NG51

NG51 Supporting Member

Aug 19, 2010
    Oakland,CA
    The one that got to me was Miroslav Vitous' solo on What Was.

12. Bassist4Eris

Bassist4Eris Frat-Pack Sympathizer

I started playing as a teenager in the mid 80s. My friends and I were all metalheads, so of course I got a lot of requests to learn Anesthesia, by Metallica's Cliff Burton.

Then one day, my friend, who was also kind of my bass rival, came over one day and played it for me note for note. I wasn't gonna have him one up me like that, so I spent probably four hours going over it one night until I had it learned and memorized. I remember my fingertips hurting *really* bad the next day.

13. phillybass101

phillybass101

Jan 12, 2011
    Ok thanks yes, Rare Earth. They were smokin. I can still hear that bass solo. And he kept the groove while he soloed. Today a lot of guys just play licks when they solo. no groove, flow or continuity. One of my major pet peeves with the way guys are slapping today. Just a few licks of giggity giggity. :)

When I was growing up playing the Scorpio bass solo was the ticket. Guys from different neighborhoods would hear about you if you could get Scorpio. And just about every major neighborhood had a band and there was great competition between bands and bass players. Having grown up in the town that produced Stanley Clarke, Victor Bailey, Jamaaladeen Tacuma, Gerald Veasley, Doc Murdock, Tony Jones, Christian McBride, Steve Green, Tyrone Brown, (for a little bit Jaco--Norrristown a suburb) For a little bit Stuart Zender (Norristown) and a cast of other great but lesser know artists to take up Bass is a hell of a decison. Not a place to be a weak or a timid player that's for sure.

14. tbplayer59

tbplayer59

Jan 20, 2013
    Champagne Jam - Atlanta Rhythm Section. I know it's weird, but it was right around the time I was starting to play.

15. AuntieBeeb

AuntieBeeb

Dec 12, 2010
    London
    Does it have to just be bass solos? Obviously Entwistle's breaks on My Generation set the bar pretty high, but I also had my eyes (well, my ears) opened the first time I heard The Doors' first LP. Realising that I could get a sound akin to Break on Through if I pushed the gain on my amp was an important lesson for me!

16. Mushroo

Mushroo Supporting Member

Apr 2, 2007
    Massachusetts, USA
    I started learning in the 80s. One of my biggest inspirations was Bakithi Kumalo's work on Paul Simon's Graceland album. There's the famous bass break on You Can Call Me Al, of course, as well as some really tasty licks on Diamonds on the Soles of Her Shoes. The reissue CD has a demo track of Diamonds that's just bass and vocals, groovy stuff!

17. phillybass101

phillybass101

Jan 12, 2011
    Nope, I guess. It could have been the tune from deliverance :)

18. RockBoddham

RockBoddham

May 13, 2011
    Alden, NY
    +1

I'm surprised someone else besides me would cite this. His 13+ minute live version is kinda off the the beaten path. I've figured out how to play much of it, and it has been an ambition of mine to do it live someday. Hope I don't run out of time! :bassist:

19. RED J

RED J Lol

Jan 23, 2000
    The first was off Love's 1966 "Da Capo album. Side 2 is an extended jam. Pretty cool at the time. I still remember the solo and play it on occasion. Starts at around 16:02

http://youtu.be/ea7_6p1aUzs

20. Stingray317

Stingray317

Mar 19, 2013
    The first solo I ever heard was anesthesia (pulling teeth) by the great cliff burton...I was even more surprised to come to realize it had its own track number on kill em all...that solo really got me and its when I realized the bass could be so much more