1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Bass still broken

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by NickyDeez, Nov 6, 2013.

1. NickyDeez

NickyDeez

Apr 24, 2013
    So awhile ago I posted on here about my bass being messed up and make a loud buzzing noise. Everyone said it was a shielding issue so I just finished shielding but the buzzing continues. The bass is a fender jazz bass I bought in August new

2. NickyDeez

NickyDeez

Apr 24, 2013
    Any ideas on what it could be?

3. Hevy T

Hevy T Supporting Member

Jan 11, 2011
    Lethbridge, AB Canada
    My guess would be either bad pot or ground

4. Maybe a dumb Q, but are your cords OK?

5. NickyDeez

NickyDeez

Apr 24, 2013
    How would I know if it's a bad pot or bad ground?

6. Smooth_bass88

Smooth_bass88 Groove it

Why don't you just bring it back to where you bought it and have them look at it. Surely it must still be under warranty. And even if not, these types of issues are easy for a qualified tech to diagnose and are generally not expensive to fix.

7. NickyDeez

NickyDeez

Apr 24, 2013
    Bought it online... Looks like a dreaded trip to... Dun dun dun Guitar Center

8. uOpt

uOpt

Jul 21, 2008
    Boston, MA, USA
    Does it better/worse when you touch/let go of the output plug?

Does it better/worse when you touch/let go of the strings?

9. This.

These would indicate a grounding issue if the answer to either is "worse".

10. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

My money says the shielding job is not complete. Did you line both the pickup cavities as well as ground them? Did you do the same to the pickup covers?

11. NickyDeez

NickyDeez

Apr 24, 2013
    What do you mean by ground them?

12. NickyDeez

NickyDeez

Apr 24, 2013
    Well I don't know much about the wiring but my friend does. He's the one who helped shield it.

13. uOpt

uOpt

Jul 21, 2008
    Boston, MA, USA
    I can't recommend shielding the pickup cavities.

In any case a stock Jazz bass isn't so let's debug why this thing doesn't behave like on, shall we?

14. JLS

JLS

Sep 12, 2008
    Emeryville, Ca
    I setup & repair guitars & basses

With friends like this...:D

1) Jazz bass pickups are notorious for buzzing.

2)"What do you mean by ground them? " (Oboy...)

3)" Looks like a dreaded trip to... Dun dun dun Guitar Center "

I gotta just step away from this one...

15. NickyDeez

NickyDeez

Apr 24, 2013
    I have no idea how the circuits work. I've never dealt with anything of this nature and I've only been playing for a year so crucify me all you want. I know that single coil pick ups buzz but this is way louder.

16. There are many reasons for buzzing.

First thing I would do is download a wiring diagram and check the bass against it.

Next thing I would do is make sure this isn't happening ONLY when I'm standing next to my amp or in a particular room. Some amps radiate a lot of RF and if you move 10 feet away, it disappears. Also, some rooms have a lot of RF from lights or electronic equipment.

If you don't have the skills to do this yourself, take it to a REAL guitar repairman and have them do it.

Just because your friend has some acquaintance with electronics doesn't mean he understands how your bass is supposed to work.

17. bjabass

bjabass

Jan 10, 2011
    Mountain South
    You never answered the guy who asked if you had tried another cord....

Due respect, BUT...

Either he is not much of a friend or not much of a tech....he shielded your bass and left you with the problem.

This is almost certainly a grounding issue. The metal cases of the pots, the metal bridge and one side of each pickup must be electrically connected to the shield/ground connection of the jack (the 'ring' not the 'tip'.....)

If you cannot understand what I just wrote, you need someone who does.

18. Good point - a cable can be bad, just like you can be standing too close to an RF-emitting amp.

19. uOpt

uOpt

Jul 21, 2008
    Boston, MA, USA
    So you gonna answer some of the question here or just leave the bass as-is?

20. Smooth_bass88

Smooth_bass88 Groove it

Assuming it's still under warranty, you can bring it to any authorized Fender service center, which can really be any music store, repair shop, etc. and the work should be done for free. Does not have to be bought to Guitar Center.