Bass Suggestions

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Debugger, Aug 8, 2004.

1. Debugger

Mar 19, 2004
    i have a washburn MB2 bass (which is not shown even in washburn's site) and i am not happy with it. I am going to buy a new one and need some advices. i play in a band which plays mostly funk-fusion and i am expected to make lots of pop-slap. i have a budget of maximum 1000$. does anybody have some suggestions? any suggestions are welcome eg. brand name, strings type or pickup brand etc...

also, anyone have yamaha bass? is it good for slap?

2. tim99

tim99 Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2003
    For $1000, you gotta look at the Lakland Skyline Joe Osborne with the maple neck. This is a jazz style bass that is very well made, has top of the line pickups, a great neck, a great slap tone, and the 5 string has 3/4 inch or 19 mm string spacing which is good for slap. Keep an eye on string spacing. Some of the Basses have narrower string spacing that makes slap more difficult.

Lots of people here like the G&L's and the Spectors. For a little less money, the MTD Kingstons are pretty nice. And there is always Fender. Yamaha has a new TRB1004, TRB1005, TRB1006 series that have bolt on necks that look very interesting.

Do you want 5 strings? Do you want active or passive? Do you want old school "jazz pickups" style bass or more modern "humbucking pickups" style bass? Do you want a bass with a pickguard, or with fancy wood? Do you want a 3 band eq or a 2 band eq? Do you want the strings to go through the body or end at the bridge?

Good luck,

3. robe

Oct 19, 2003
    i used to have a yamaha and it was prety average for slapping.......i eventually sold it and bought an OLP mm2( amazing sound and feel)

but if u dont want a cheap ripoff(a f&*king awesome cheap ripoff) then buy a second hand musicman stingray or steriling...not sure how much they are over in the us but i think they go for something like 700$us on ebay quite regualry. AYou wont be dispointed, a dream to slap on and even better to listen to!!!
  4. Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    A used stingray will be your luvah.
  5. T. Alan Smith

T. Alan Smith

Sep 9, 2001
    Yup. Gotta fill us in. So are you saying you don't like to slap in the Washburn? If so, why exactly? Lotsa nice instruments out there for under a grand these days.
    Offhand, for slap, I'd check out the MTD Kingston & Music Man SUB.
  6. I have to agree with this

I just gone this road myself, couldn't have made a better choice
  7. quallabone

Aug 2, 2003
    Now that I've played one.......

Used Ibanez ATK. Better than all stingrays I've played.
  8. Heya Debugger,

I'm using a Euro Spector 4 at the moment.

Terrific for slap, and does awesome in the Funk-Fushion type songs my band does.

I'll totally recommend 'em. A definite improvement over your Washburn, no doubt.
  9. bassplayer6578

Aug 10, 2004
    The bass that you wand Debugger is the Erine Ball Music Man S.U.B. (Sport Utility Bass). Personally I own one and it kicks major butt. It is great for slapping, and most other types of music you are looking to play. I beleive you can now purchase this beauty for around $670. Thats less than what I paid for it a year ago, but I have never regretted the purchase, So if you want a great bass I suggest it.
  10. Walbassman

Nov 27, 2002
    Nashville, TN
    Stingray all the way.....very versatile.
  11. Franklin229

Franklin229 Supporting Member

Jul 25, 2004
    Northeast USA
  12. Hollow Man

Hollow Man Supporting Member

Apr 28, 2003
    Springfield, VA
    +1. Find one used, they're everywhere. Not the most versatile bass you could buy, but should be near perfect for your application. Great slap tone.